EEC-IV speed limiter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEC-IV speed limiter

Is there anyway to remove the speed limiter on the EEC-IV? I have a 1990 Grand Marquis

I know it can be chipped, if that's the only route does anyone know of any Speed Density EEC-IV tuners on long island/NYC area?

The only limiter is the stock engine as far as I know.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't think the ECM used a speed limiter until 92 with the electronically controlled transmissions. That was set at about 110mph IIRC. I think the boxes are RPM limited due to the 3500-4000 rpm limit of the engine and that's only really possible in 3rd gear as 4th will slow you down at that point because it doesn't really have the power to push the car faster.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ah ok, I'm having 4.10s put into it but I haven't changed the speedo gear and I was just worried about it topping out going 80 lol

Comment

its engine RPM limited at like 6200. The stock parts won't let it spin that fast anyway unless you just mat the pedal in neutral.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It’s kind of sad we don’t have a speed limiter because we can’t go fast enough to need one...
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tall gear ratio...like a 2.73 gives the engine the opportunity to reach some high speeds. Just need some long stretches of road to get there.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                It’s kind of sad we don’t have a speed limiter because we can’t go fast enough to need one...
                You don't need to, these are cruise cars. I've had my Town Car almost seven years now and never once felt the urge to push it past 85 or 90. I've got my Firebird for that or even my truck.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

In theory they can go fast with tall gears, in reality between the lack of aerodynamics and the 150 hp engine its just not going to. I've had mine going way too fast before, it makes unsavory noises. Doesn't get unstable tho.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They are among the quietest and best riding cars at and below 60mph.

Comment

There is no speed limiter. They couldn't go that fast anyway.

Comment

They're OK even in the 70-75 range but box Towncars over 100 whistle loudly from the mirrors, and over about 120 the grille on the 85-87 at least will push in and go crooked. Its still a surprisingly controlled drive, but you can tell it simply was not intended to go that fast.

Also you stand a high chance of your heater core failing with stock engine pulleys, especially if you don't have a restrictor in the line. The accessory drive was engineered for tall gears in OD at a national highway speed of 55. I've been in two of these cars that had a heater core explode when the rpm got over about 4000. One was my own car somewhere well over 100 mph, one was Natehawk's car when the 351 went in. His popped just before the first 1-2 shift on paved road. Having the windshield suddenly become a sheet of solid fog when you're going fast is not my idea of a good time.

Comment

I'll say a 3.27 RAR and a single pipe LoPo can manage 101 MPH, but make sure your valvetrain isn't tired, unless you want to see if your exhaust valves are any good. It also takes a minute to get there.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            They're OK even in the 70-75 range but box Towncars over 100 whistle loudly from the mirrors, and over about 120 the grille on the 85-87 at least will push in and go crooked. Its still a surprisingly controlled drive, but you can tell it simply was not intended to go that fast.

Also you stand a high chance of your heater core failing with stock engine pulleys, especially if you don't have a restrictor in the line. The accessory drive was engineered for tall gears in OD at a national highway speed of 55. I've been in two of these cars that had a heater core explode when the rpm got over about 4000. One was my own car somewhere well over 100 mph, one was Natehawk's car when the 351 went in. His popped just before the first 1-2 shift on paved road. Having the windshield suddenly become a sheet of solid fog when you're going fast is not my idea of a good time.
                            Well yah, the original crowd that they were designed for and who purchased them never went that fast. Would have been a waste of resources to make high speed feasible in one. Doubt the barges of the 70's were any better. They do ride OK at 70 - 80, but hot damn do they ride like velvet at 60.

LoL I remember reading about that story of yours regarding the speedlimiter, aka heater core. My inlet has a restrictor yet my heater core has failed anyway. I just can't get myself to tear open the dash nor am I comfortable farming it out for fear the car will never be as tight & quiet as it currently is.

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                            I'll say a 3.27 RAR and a single pipe LoPo can manage 101 MPH, but make sure your valvetrain isn't tired, unless you want to see if your exhaust valves are any good. It also takes a minute to get there.
                            If you think these things take a minute to get up to speed, drive a 2.3 powered Ranger from the early to mid 90's. They barely do 90 mph with the throttle matted to the floor.

Comment

Its not the end of the world pulling the dash. I've done mine twice. The first core I put in was bad out of the box. Only real trick is to not hurry so nothing breaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X