2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series aka rolling junkyard 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series aka rolling junkyard 2.0

So bought this car in July after looking for a second vehicle so I don't have to feel rushed repairing the heater plenum air flow door on the marq. Was pretty set on getting a GMT400/800 but the pricing on those is all over the place as is the condition to many rotted out. Usually while searching I look for 98-02 TCs as well, didn't like them when they came out but when 03+ ones debuted they look a whole lot better imho then those.

Looked at a lot of whale TC's previously most are totally clapped out and overpriced. The pictures of this car at the dealer when I drove down to see it I figured I would be looking at another dud.

Car was filthy inside and out when I got there but the interior was mint and the chassis wasn't rotted and it had a moonroof which was a requirement. And it drove pretty good. Made the deal for $3400. Not great not terrible deal for a former Florida 83k mile TC, figure I should at least try one for once. So Town Car #5 for me.

Car wasn't without issues though and wasn't surprised by them. Needed brakes, converted to coils, dead pass seat I didn't notice on the test drive, velcro headliner mounts failed, had the common intake leak no surprise there and the driver seat is extremely weak thanks to Easy exit (easy exit move the seat back anytime you remove the key from the ignition) and for some reason the pass side turn signal didn't work and some of the warning indicators on the cluster weren't working either.

Got to work ironing out the issues.

First up unfuck the turn signals. So the dealer did put some money into the car including replacing both headlight assy with TYC's but for some reason the pass side was wired wrong. So fixed that and thought I was done. Later I would find out that the high beam wouldn't work either so got a used harness and swapped it, now the pass side lights work correctly.

Next up headliner. This is a stupid design, headliner is heavier then a CV/GM and they don't use push trees on the rear like a CV/GM. Tried using Loctite marine adhesive. Should've just used a hot glue gun like I did when one of the mounts failed after getting it back up. Also having a huge hole in it makes it super wobbly, definitely folded it a few times according to the FSM if you do that you should replace it also I couldn't get it out of the car.

Disabled Easy Exit with Forscan despite the FSM saying it wasn't configurable. Should make the driver seat last a bit longer.

Took the cluster apart, turns out it was a remanned cluster put installed in 2002. Turns out this TC was a Canadian car sold originally from Toronto, even has a block heater. Got most of the indicators back after swapping some bulbs from a spare 01 cluster. Left TS indicator still dead.

Fixing the water leak. Wire brushed and used evaporust on the rust then primed and painted. Whomever the previous owner had work on this car ripped them off, found a cut in the rear footwell stuffed with rocks. Like that was gonna work.

Same baffoons decided to use windshield adhesive to the pass side cowl so that was fun to remove, had to break it and get a spare luckily the cowl never changed so its the same from 1998-2011. Instead of using gobs of RTV like most do I decided to use weather stripping from Home Depot. No more leaks.

Seats are out of the car so worked on those. Swapped to a 99 GM seat track. Will say this these seats break down a hell of a lot easier then the older -97 ones. So that was nice. Also cleaned the brushes on the driver seat motor and its working a little bit better.

So the headrests in these are terrible. You have to lean way back to use em. Solved that by getting another set of VIII head rests. Painted them with SEM Color coat. Came out good but getting a good color match for deep slate blue was difficult as the body shop couldn't find a exact formula match.

Gotta have a backup camera.

The Ford/Alpine stereo is meh. Already deep in the car might as well swap out the speakers. Put some Kenwood 6x8s in. Sounds way better. Also 6x9s won't fit because of the Latch system. Lame.

So TC door panels since 1990 have always been more of a pita to take off then a CV/GM well let me tell ya these 98-02 ones are even worse. Its a dumb design and I can see why I see so many that are busted. Uses really strong push trees in weak plastic mounts= broken mounts. Have had to repair the drivers door three times now. Rewelding the mounts, trying JB Weld (didn't do shit), hot glue (worked ok until the first door closing) and finally hot glue with reinforced with chicken wire.

Cupholders in these aren't good cause of the shape of the bulbous dash, they don't pull out as far as the older ones or CV/GMs. Tried using 03+ CV/GM cupholders but they don't work cause the shape of the dash prevents from fully closing. Time to find a solution. Decided to swap in a 03+ console with flip out cupholders and reuse my console bin and trim and fit the leather cover to it as well as the rear vent. Worked out well cause I didn't want to have to paint the entire 09 console cover. Once I cut the original leather cover there was no going back cause good luck finding a deep slate blue leather cover.

Ford de-contenting was the name of the game in the early 2000s. No rear sway? Lame. Put a 99 GM sway bar in. Not a HPP one but whatever any bar is better then none.

Got rid of the dumb muffler on the air intake for a straight to the TB one. Can't tell the difference. Also yes still has the OG all nylon intake in 2020.

Done for now.

Dual exhaust and reinstallation of the rear air susp next up.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP
    2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

- Richard

You’ve been busy. I hate decontenting. I think the second year the best of any platform/body style. Got most of the bugs out, yet haven’t had time to really pinch pennies yet.

Shame about the door panels. I had no idea. My F350 same year uses two screws, and latches that drop into place. Super easy on/off yet seems durable. Ford obviously knew how to do it right, but choose not to.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Super busy. Nice work on the new ride.

I lold at shoving rocks in to seal a hole.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I love me some GMT400's. Must have the "do-it-yourself" transmission though, hate autos.

Never been a fan of TC's post 1994 but that one does look to be in nice shape. Why would a moonroof be a must have? Those always end up leaking or breaking. No one that I've known who has ever owned one long term had anything nice to say about them.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Lincoln door panels have always been more difficult to remove than Ford ones, and honestly more poorly constructed.

also not a big fan of things that move constantly. Just one more thing to wear out. Once I get my seats set I don't feel the need to move them. Its not likely to move enough to make it that much easier to get out of the car anyway.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The moving seat thing worked on my mercedes when I first got it. Actually I set it to move seat AND steering column. Only the steering column moves upwards now even though I have selected both seat and column to move when exiting the vehicle. Luckily the power seat still works like normal in case I do need to move it..snooze in car before work or something. I agree though...i dread the day the steering column one gets stuck in the up position. I like the extra room for getting in and out without rubbing on the seat bolster.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

So long as you keep the drains clear of debris and lube the track the moonroof is nice to have. Want more light in the interior just move the shade back. I've owned a number of cars with a moonroof and never had leaks then again I don't have trees anywhere close to where I park the car so its a non issue for me.

- Richard

Comment

Problem tends to be the previous owner. Or you open the thing and the motor dies. Or you forget to close it all the way and it rains. One less thing to worry about. They're neat, but so are power windows and I just don't like those on something which sees temps below freezing.

Comment

How many km's?
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Lincoln door panels have always been more difficult to remove than Ford ones, and honestly more poorly constructed.
                    Definitely. Not sure which gen is the worst. Seen a lotta 03+ ones that are just totally fubar'd . Think maybe the 95-97 ones are probably the best. They use push trees but not as strong as 98+ ones.

Last repair seems to be holding. The worst part is the side of the door panel where the door pocket is has the weakest mount. Its just flash molded to the edge with no real support.

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                    How many km's?
                    134k. Kind of want to find a KM/H cluster but the E/M button doesn't change the speedometer only the message center. Pretty sure it was sold new in Ontario given it has some phone number on a sticker that has a Toronto prefix.

Some more expert repair. Oh why bother removing the solenoid/connector when you can just cut it!

- Richard

Comment

Always loved those wheels with the argent pockets. Nice looking car...

Chris

Comment

Out with the Y

In with the H

Dual exhaust installed.

Reinstalling the air suspension next up.

- Richard

Comment

Could probably resell or hold on to that y-pipe, looks minty. You notice any gains with the duals?

Comment

I got no use for a 98-02 TC Y pipe. Gave it to my friend for scrap.

Yes it got a bit more pep but it still lacks the mid range punch the marq has probably because 3.27s vs 3.08s.

Also noticed the driver side tail/muffler I got from a 99 GMQ has a resonator and my pass side doesn't. While at idle it doesn't sound any different at mid range there is a audible deeper tone that comes from the driver side. Did also notice the MPGs went up as well.

What is interesting is 98/99 TC have a knock sensor and a hotter tune for a NPI so 205hp single/220 with duals. In 2000 they dropped the hotter tune and with that you get 200 for single 215 with duals.

- Richard

Comment

Intake swap in progress.

How it sits now. Just gotta wait for the RTV to cure.

Not sure but the USCAR connectors on 2000 injectors are garbage. Broke almost everyone of them.

On NPI heater tube the DPFE mounts to it. PI heater tube have to improvise.

Last edited by Pvt.Hudson; 12-02-2020, 01:03 AM.

- Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X