Shift Linkage Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Linkage Operation

How does the shift linkage work in relation to the shift lever on the transmission? I noticed that when I move the shift lever into gear; the stud (which is keyed for the tv cable) that it's mounted to doesn't rotate. How does the tv cable engage when the stud it's mounted to doesn't move? It was dark out when I did this, so I may not have seen it move. I imagine the stud only moves when shifted into OD, D, 1, and 2?

The shift linkage is hollow, and is actually held in from the inside. The TV rotates inside of it and is held in from that outside nut.

Comment

what he said. Concentric shafts.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Another "duh" question. When the transmission/shift lever is in the forward position (towards the front of the car), it's in PARK?

Comment

All the way forward is park on my 4r70w. I think it was the same for my AOD-E. I would think AOD would be the same but i'm not 100% on that.

Comment

+1 yes.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you guys

That's one less thing I am doing wrong with this project.

Comment

Working...
              X