No announcement yet.

3G Alternator Belt Squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hm, interesting. Never knew this existed either.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Funny thing about that is that a 3.0 OHV Taurus is my preferred donor vehicle to pull a 3G from. So I suppose I probably already have a couple of these in rotation. I'll have to check the numbers on them.

97 T-Bird 3.8 is the most recent donor vehicle I used (actually bought new for that application because of clocking) and it is the one that I suspected came out of the box with a sluggish regulator.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I wonder if a similar regulator was used on large case 3.8 Essex alternators too (aimed towards folks with the 1Gs). I only say that since I installed a 3G (spec'd for a 3.8 Sable) on a late 80s L9000 dump truck due to eliminate a troublesome 1G/external regulator that the owner wanted gone, and it was noted the voltage gauge took a few seconds to start reading a charge (also double checked with a voltmeter). It reliably delays no more than 5 seconds before the gauge changes from battery voltage to around 14.5v.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Where the non 3.0 Taurus alternators you guys used brand new or reman? If reman I wonder if the rebuilder has a pile of regulators they pull from and slap on whatever alternator resulting in them ending up on other alternators. From all the research I did it was only the 3.0 Taurus that used the 2.5 delay alternator.

I also found out that Ford made a 95 amp version of the 3g. It was used on a small number of vehicles for only a couple of years. It is a smaller case thus allowing for easier retrofit. One of those vehicles is a 1992 E350 van with the 351. I went out to the junk yard today and couldn’t believe my eyes when I found that exact van! I also found a fresh reman 130 amp 3g on a 99 mustang 3.8. I snagged both of them. The yard cashier was having an exceptionally good day and gave me 2 for the price of 1!

The 95 amp version is still available new and reman on rock auto. It may be a good alternative for guys who don’t need tons of extra electrical capacity and don’t want to mess with different belts/grind on the alternator mounting bracket. I’m going to test it out and see how it fits as well as performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another of those 95 amp vehicles was aero crown vics. The police versions got the 130 amp version. 92 police version has the same connector as the civilian version and is a direct swap and what's in my 93 right now.

The reason for using the 130A over the 95A is idle current. The 130A is just better. Lights dim less at night when running the AC.

Short list of models that use the 130A version, but needs to be reclocked
            93-99 Taurus
            95-98 Windstar
            93-2000 Sable

List of cars that use the correctly clocked version:
            94-2000 Mustang 3.8L
            94-95 Mustang 5.0L
            94-97 Thunderbird/Cougar 5.0L

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              needs to be reclocked
              Disagree, in the case of the Taurus/Sable (don't know about Windstar, maybe it's the same). I run them as they are when I take them off the junkyard car, with no issues.

However the clocking is somewhat better on the other clocked version.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

How much of a difference in idle output is there between the 95 and 130 amp versions?

Thanks for that list too. Took a screenshot just in case.

Comment

not sure but I expect both are better than the 65 amp 2g.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    not sure but I expect both are better than the 65 amp 2g.
                    This is true.

On my 93, the headlight dimming is almost nonexistant. You can barely tell with the 130A. The 95A you could definitely tell. I never measured it, but the volt needle on the dash would drop a letter (spells out NORMAL and would drop from between RM to between OR). So I would guess a volt or 2 drop. Still "within spec" as it's probably above 12V, but I prefer my 14.4 to be 14.4 and not 13.0 or lower. And when I had the twin 10 inch subs booming hard, you could see the lights flicker with the beat. After the 130A swap, that was barely visible. I'm down to 1 10 inch sub to reclaim trunk space and now I don't have that issue. The current issue is the clutch pulley I have sometimes slips more under certain loads and I don't get good charge at idle. I have a regular pulley to put on it but I need to find the spline tool to remove the clutch pulley first. And I haven't been able to find the stupid thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	88F6893A-C7DF-4176-9D15-8903FADE752D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	1288245
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Cool, thats useful. Curious what the 1g 100a is.

Comment

I don't think the headlights dim on my MGM, if they do, it's unnoticeable even in the dark. I can even see the orange light of the blinker reflecting of road signs quite far away.
                          I have a pretty much brand-new 60 A 1G on it, supposedly new, not even a reman... The regulator (which actually was the culprit for not charging) is an original Motorcraft from a '79 Colony Park, the wiring harness has sat in a box in the garage all the way from late 90's when the CP was scrapped for parts.
                          Charges over 14 volts even at slow, cold idle, not that it really matters.
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                            I don't think the headlights dim on my MGM, if they do, it's unnoticeable even in the dark. I can even see the orange light of the blinker reflecting of road signs quite far away.
                            I have a pretty much brand-new 60 A 1G on it, supposedly new, not even a reman... The regulator (which actually was the culprit for not charging) is an original Motorcraft from a '79 Colony Park, the wiring harness has sat in a box in the garage all the way from late 90's when the CP was scrapped for parts.
                            Charges over 14 volts even at slow, cold idle, not that it really matters.
                            The advantages of upgrading from the 1G to the 3G are less than the advantages of upgrading from a 2G to a 3G. I have done it on 2 of my Panthers built with 1Gs, but mainly because I want to standardize things like belts across all my vehicles.

2G to 3G is pretty much essential. The 2G never should have existed and its design shortcomings make it a hazard to have in your vehicle.

The 1G is just a little sub-optimal in terms of output, but for a car with stock-like electrical needs, it's perfectly adequate. This is why my wagon still has its 60A 1G. That being said, at idle, with the headlights, wipers and blower motor on...things do slow down a bit.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                              The advantages of upgrading from the 1G to the 3G are less than the advantages of upgrading from a 2G to a 3G. I have done it on 2 of my Panthers built with 1Gs, but mainly because I want to standardize things like belts across all my vehicles.

2G to 3G is pretty much essential. The 2G never should have existed and its design shortcomings make it a hazard to have in your vehicle.

The 1G is just a little sub-optimal in terms of output, but for a car with stock-like electrical needs, it's perfectly adequate. This is why my wagon still has its 60A 1G. That being said, at idle, with the headlights, wipers and blower motor on...things do slow down a bit.
                              Most definitely enough for a stock vehicle, in my case it's better to try and keep things stock. Then, hopefully no one will be too deep in shit when something breaks. It's kinda funny when the blinkers change speed depending on what's going on.
                              My MGM could do with a headlight upgrade, though it's only a summer car, so why bother... Wouldn't mind improving the radio and speakers too, but a JBL Bluetooth speaker in the back seat has done well enough so far. I'd probably hide a BT head unit in the glove box and just have a set of nice speakers, subs are meh and excessive bass-thumping isn't really my thing.
                              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                              1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Thanks for posting that chart Tiggie. That’s good info. I was looking all over trying to find specifications.

This morning was comical trying to find a parts store that could test the 95a. At the first store the person put the alternator on the tester without making any electrical connections. He pointed to the screen pointing out it failed then asked me promptly if I wanted a new one. I took it back, looked him in the eyes, shook my head then left. At the second store the person couldn’t find the correct cables to hook it up. Third store was finally able to test it and it checked out.

Since it’s good I’ll be trying it out to see if the headlight dimming/turn signal slowing at idle is acceptable for me. Since it’s a given it will be better than the 1g I’ll most likely keep it providing I like how it fits.

Why am I doing this since I already have a 130 amp 3g on the car? I really don’t like that the belt adjustment is maxed out with a brand new belt. As it stretches I have no way to tighten it. For me, grinding down the unobtanium power steering pump bracket to allow more clearance for a shorter belt doesn’t feel right.

Arquemann- I’ve been thinking of headlight upgrades too. My car sees about a month of night time driving before it does into storage. Some LED retrofits would definitely help!

Comment

Working...
                                X