No announcement yet.

3G Alternator Belt Squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So one thing I have noticed about V6 3G units is they run a larger pulley than the V8 cars. I’m considering swapping mine out to a smaller one on the ‘87 due to only semi-adequate output with a lot of accessories on and the car warmed up in gear.

With the pulley size change, I know the current belt won’t fit, and the stock size might actually be correct again. Just a thought to retain the 130 amp unit without having too much travel on the adjuster. Mine is in a similar boat with the adjustment almost all the way out.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
      Most definitely enough for a stock vehicle, in my case it's better to try and keep things stock. Then, hopefully no one will be too deep in shit when something breaks. It's kinda funny when the blinkers change speed depending on what's going on.
      My MGM could do with a headlight upgrade, though it's only a summer car, so why bother... Wouldn't mind improving the radio and speakers too, but a JBL Bluetooth speaker in the back seat has done well enough so far. I'd probably hide a BT head unit in the glove box and just have a set of nice speakers, subs are meh and excessive bass-thumping isn't really my thing.
      1G alts may not have the output, but they are pretty well built and lost a long time. The 2G alts are a fire hazard and could burn a car to the ground.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

honestly if they had used a bolt-on charge cable with the 2G like they did for every other alternator, it wouldn't even be that big of a problem.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Kodachrome Wolf - I noticed the same regarding the pulleys. I changed mine out to the smaller mustang one. I tried to get the stock belt on with it and it would just not go. I even left the lower alternator pivot bolt out and hooked the alternator under the belt. From poking through different threads it seems there is some minor variations in the brackets from vehicle to vehicle that allow certain tricks to work on one and not the other. It is definitely worth trying as the smaller pulley makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            honestly if they had used a bolt-on charge cable with the 2G like they did for every other alternator, it wouldn't even be that big of a problem.
            I always wondered why they used that goofey plug. Must have been to save time during assembly.

Last edited by matth825; 11-15-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

most likely. Does make it quick to R&R but I'll trade mild installation inconvenience for not catching on fire.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I test fit the 95a today and it is perfect! Stock belt fits without issue. When properly tensioned the top ear ends up in the same place the original 60a did (the ear is threaded too!) I’ve got the small mustang pulley on it as well. If I did my math right I’ve got a 3:1 ratio between the alt and crank pulley. With my 600 rpm idle I’ll have 1800 alt rpm so I should get plenty of output to run the stock electrical system without issue. As everyone has said not as good as the 130a but certainly better than the 60a.

I didn’t hook it up electrically yet to test. It needs to be reclocked for my wiring to work plus it’s already back off the car. I’m taking it to a local alternator shop tomorrow to have it rebuilt. I like it’s an original motor craft unit and I want to support local businesses.

The car is put up for the winter but if the weather is still decent when I get it back I’ll fire it up for a nighttime cruise and report on how it performs.

Last edited by matth825; 11-16-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

This help any?

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post779808

95 mustang GT 130amp alt on my car

and further findings with ASP underdrive pulley on the crank:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post821295

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post823542
                  Last edited by 87gtVIC; 11-16-2020, 08:13 PM.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks Vic! The gp-712 pulley is what I had on my 130 amp. I also used that same 6pk1285 belt. Interestingly with that belt I’m maxing out the the adjustment. My stock belt is a 6pk1270. I could almost, just almost get it on the 130a with the gp-712. I was pulling with all my might and it would not go on. The alternator was bottomed out and would not budge anymore. Maybe I’ll go throw it back on the car really quick and try one more time.

Comment

Gave the 130a one last shot last night. I pulled, pried, tugged, yanked, spoke nicely to and yelled at the stock belt. There is no way it’s going on so I threw in the towel.

Took the 95a to the rebuilder this morning. The man who greeted me at the counter was old, crabby and had a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. Place looked like it was stuck in the 80’s. Given all that I know it’s in good hands. They do lots of custom builds for car audio as well as guys who are into CB contesting. Had a nice chat with the guy...he was full of knowledge. It’s a shame places like this are hard to find now.

Comment

I had to grind the bracket down to allow the alternator to pivot more towards the passenger side of the car to get the belt on the 130A I put in the 88 MGM I used to have. Took off about a quarter inch of material or so. This is the area between the mounting bolt ears. The lip on the crank side of that bracket is just too tall to allow the 130A to pivot enough.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          I had to grind the bracket down to allow the alternator to pivot more towards the passenger side of the car to get the belt on the 130A I put in the 88 MGM I used to have. Took off about a quarter inch of material or so. This is the area between the mounting bolt ears. The lip on the crank side of that bracket is just too tall to allow the 130A to pivot enough.
                          That's exactly what I had to do to my bracket; ground the bolt tube (next to the alternator mount) down in order for the alternator to pivot.

Comment

The alternator shop really knocked it out of the park. They had the alternator back to me in 4 hours. Cleaned up the case, clear coated it, new slip rings, bearings, rectifier and brushes. Going to put it in tonight. Will report on its performance.

Comment

I must be the only person who owns a box that just put a 130 amp on without grinding anything or using an odd size belt. I stuck it together in a friend's driveway with Scott's tech advice after the stock one fried at a car meet. 95 Mustang 3.8L I think was the application. I have an underdrive pulley so the belts are odd size now but until then it was just the stock length alternator belt.

Comment

After getting sidetracked the other night I finally got the alternator chucked back on last night. With all the big electrical consumers on at idle I was getting 13.7 volts. Overall, I’m happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X