3G Alternator Belt Squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    I must be the only person who owns a box that just put a 130 amp on without grinding anything or using an odd size belt...
    I used the same belt I had with my original 2G as well. I ordered an alternator from a Windstar or something though, should have went with the Mustang one. Windstar unit has a boss or tab on it for something else which doesn't allow a person to adjust all the way (if needed).
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Tortise alt has one of those too, but I don't seem to remember it being really in the way. The Mustang one doesn't swing quite all the way over either but it never seemed to be a big problem.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've never done any grinding on my brackets, but I have ran the stock box sized belt. All three 3Gs that I have had all had a different size pully. Not much different but enough that I was not able to run stock sized belt on all of them.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Mine was eventually swapped to an original 2g pulley. Those are slightly smaller. with the underdrive crank pulley I was having problems at night when I had the electric fans still. The smaller pulley gave it a bit more speed and helped. Removing the electric fan helped more though.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

3G Alternator Belt Squeal

Mine was eventually swapped to an original 2g pulley. Those are slightly smaller. with the underdrive crank pulley I was having problems at night when I had the electric fans still. The smaller pulley gave it a bit more speed and helped. Removing the electric fan helped more though.
            That’s a good pulley to use as I believe it’s 1.9 inches in diameter. You want as much alternator shaft RPM at idle as you can get without over speeding it at redline. 1800-2000 RPM is a good target. Some sources say 15000 RPM others say 16000 RPM for max shaft speed.

With how slow our engines idle and with our 4200 RPM redlines we need those small pulleys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by matth825; 11-23-2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Mine will wind up to a solid 5500 but with an underdrive crank pulley I don't know what rpm the alternator ends up at. Offhand I do not remember how big it is so I can't just do the math. The underdrive crank pulley went on after I blew up a heater core at somewhere north of 100 mph in third gear. If you've never had your windshield go opaque at a high rate of speed, I can tell you its exciting in all the wrong ways.

Comment

I'm thinking when I have mine replaced I'll put a valve in line with it so I can bypass it for summer. I don't really drive the thing during the winter. Non sloshy days are rare around here during the winter.

Comment

Mine will wind up to a solid 5500 but with an underdrive crank pulley I don't know what rpm the alternator ends up at. Offhand I do not remember how big it is so I can't just do the math. The underdrive crank pulley went on after I blew up a heater core at somewhere north of 100 mph in third gear. If you've never had your windshield go opaque at a high rate of speed, I can tell you its exciting in all the wrong ways.
                  I’ve never had that happen but can imagine it wasn’t very much fun at the time! Makes for a good story and glad you got the car stopped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    I'm thinking when I have mine replaced I'll put a valve in line with it so I can bypass it for summer. I don't really drive the thing during the winter. Non sloshy days are rare around here during the winter.
                    Sly found some nifty vacuum controlled valve that can be installed to auto-bypass the core when it gets vacuum applied. I want to say he had it plumbed so it shut the core off when AC was in recirc mode but forget specifics. Can prob find the thread on here somewhere. Should give a boost to AC performance especially if the air door seals are imperfect. Can't just shut flow off with a simple valve, the ECT is in that line and no flow will cause that to never heat up. The ECM will mess up the fuel mix if it thinks the engine never gets up to temp.

Comment

No grinding here either. The only thing I had to do was get an alternator bracket from a 100amp alternator equipped cvgm as I got a large case 3G from a taurus.

Comment

Sly found some nifty vacuum controlled valve that can be installed to auto-bypass the core when it gets vacuum applied. I want to say he had it plumbed so it shut the core off when AC was in recirc mode but forget specifics. Can prob find the thread on here somewhere. Should give a boost to AC performance especially if the air door seals are imperfect. Can't just shut flow off with a simple valve, the ECT is in that line and no flow will cause that to never heat up. The ECM will mess up the fuel mix if it thinks the engine never gets up to temp.
                        Ranger/Explorer heater control valve. Part number 74809. Apply vacuum to bypass heater core.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OOo nifty. Thank you sly & gadget

What to tee off of for vacuum when in recirc mode? That's pretty much all I use, only I don't have the ability to manually engage it since I have ATC, so full cold running low or medium blower speed usually keeps it in recirc.

Comment

maybe the air door for the dash vents. Unless you use those with hot air. Tying it to the recirc door works in the summer but if you set it for full heat that also goes recirc and would kind of defeat the purpose.

Comment

Guess I could just do a manual bypass valve. I do indeed do full hot, well, before the heater core blew a hole in itself and I stopped driving it when cold.

Comment

I ran the thing off panel vent vacuum. Don't need heat when blowing it in my face in the middle of summer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X