No announcement yet.

2001 crown vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the info and website, just ordered my 21 tooth gear, I seen some stuff about 8 tooth to 23 tooth will wear fast, will the 21?

Comment

They stopped using vss in 03 for cv and mgm, 98 in townys I think

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
        Didn’t Ford stop using the vss in the 4r in 01? Even so, I’d recommend a tuner instead of a gear swap so it can correct for the new gears and fix the shift points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Would a tuner be a lot better?/ are they super expensive?

Comment

My bad yes you are correct it is 03, I don’t want to spread misinformation.

A tuner will be better because you can tune for the new gears instead of swapping speedo gears and you can tune the new shift points. But it is more expensive as you’ll have to buy the tuner and a tune.

Comment

Ya I just found out the shift points lol, ready 40 and is in od at when my phone says 30

Comment

A tuner will be better because you can tune for the new gears instead of swapping speedo gears and you can tune the new shift points. But it is more expensive as you’ll have to buy the tuner and a tune.

Is there a widely recommended tuner for these cars, and is there a place I can just buy a tune to download to it?

Comment

Is there a widely used tuner for these cars? And can I just buy a tune online to put on it? Thanks
                Ooo and will the vss gear fix my od at 30mph

Comment

http://www.mosspeedshop.com

I’ve heard great things about him but have no personal experience.

The speedometer gear will fix the speedometer but won’t fix shifting into overdrive early.

Comment

I found the speed limiter lol, the car thought i was going 110 and started bucking, realistically it was going like 85 I didn't think the gaer would do what they do, thing blow rear tire off

Comment

You may get a transmission code due to difference between output shaft sensor and VSS once you swap the speedo gear. You may have to get the gearset setting changed in the PCM anyhow. I had to get that done for my transmission to shift right, but then I'm using a 99 PCM in a 93 on an 03 engine with a 93 trans. Started with an 01 PCM. We did use a 21 tooth VSS gear though and it did run normally, but the dash was lit up all over before the tune. Not sure how well a stock vehicle will take to VSS gear change.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I kinda remember Seneeb went through this with a 97 Vic when he changed the gears. I don't remember what tuner he used, but it was something that plugged into the OBD port and had menus to fix all that. Same deal with Natehawk's Marauder.

mind you all this was years ago and I don't tend to dwell in the land of modern very often. My transmissions are not electronic.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          I kinda remember Seneeb went through this with a 97 Vic when he changed the gears. I don't remember what tuner he used, but it was something that plugged into the OBD port and had menus to fix all that. Same deal with Natehawk's Marauder.

mind you all this was years ago and I don't tend to dwell in the land of modern very often. My transmissions are not electronic.
                          I popped seneeb a message, I hope he remembers!

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ighlight=Tuner
                            I search awhile and found this thread, the cartman guy was saying some thing about only having to change the vss gear and just reseting the trans shift strategy, because 2.73 - 3.55 was an option back then.

Comment

It is possible to do the gear change in the electronics with ForScan and a compatible OBD-II adapter. Change the gear settings and then run the PCM relearn procedure and according to a few mustang forums, that solves the gear swap issues. So that's an option if things go weird. ForScan is a free for Windows software that can be used to set many options in the PCMs and BCMs in Fords.
                              https://forscan.org/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

http://www.mosspeedshop.com

I’ve heard great things about him but have no personal experience.

The speedometer gear will fix the speedometer but won’t fix shifting into overdrive early.

I recommend these folks highly.
                                Jay
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X