PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 crown vic

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    My bad yes you are correct it is 03, I don’t want to spread misinformation.

A tuner will be better because you can tune for the new gears instead of swapping speedo gears and you can tune the new shift points. But it is more expensive as you’ll have to buy the tuner and a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is there a widely recommended tuner for these cars, and is there a place I can just buy a tune to download to it?

My bad yes you are correct it is 03, I don’t want to spread misinformation.

A tuner will be better because you can tune for the new gears instead of swapping speedo gears and you can tune the new shift points. But it is more expensive as you’ll have to buy the tuner and a tune.

Is there a widely used tuner for these cars? And can I just buy a tune online to put on it? Thanks
    Ooo and will the vss gear fix my od at 30mph

http://www.mosspeedshop.com

Iíve heard great things about him but have no personal experience.

The speedometer gear will fix the speedometer but wonít fix shifting into overdrive early.

Cool

I found the speed limiter lol, the car thought i was going 110 and started bucking, realistically it was going like 85 I didn't think the gaer would do what they do, thing blow rear tire off

You may get a transmission code due to difference between output shaft sensor and VSS once you swap the speedo gear. You may have to get the gearset setting changed in the PCM anyhow. I had to get that done for my transmission to shift right, but then I'm using a 99 PCM in a 93 on an 03 engine with a 93 trans. Started with an 01 PCM. We did use a 21 tooth VSS gear though and it did run normally, but the dash was lit up all over before the tune. Not sure how well a stock vehicle will take to VSS gear change.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I kinda remember Seneeb went through this with a 97 Vic when he changed the gears. I don't remember what tuner he used, but it was something that plugged into the OBD port and had menus to fix all that. Same deal with Natehawk's Marauder.

mind you all this was years ago and I don't tend to dwell in the land of modern very often. My transmissions are not electronic.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    I kinda remember Seneeb went through this with a 97 Vic when he changed the gears. I don't remember what tuner he used, but it was something that plugged into the OBD port and had menus to fix all that. Same deal with Natehawk's Marauder.

mind you all this was years ago and I don't tend to dwell in the land of modern very often. My transmissions are not electronic.
    I popped seneeb a message, I hope he remembers!

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ighlight=Tuner
    I search awhile and found this thread, the cartman guy was saying some thing about only having to change the vss gear and just reseting the trans shift strategy, because 2.73 - 3.55 was an option back then.

It is possible to do the gear change in the electronics with ForScan and a compatible OBD-II adapter. Change the gear settings and then run the PCM relearn procedure and according to a few mustang forums, that solves the gear swap issues. So that's an option if things go weird. ForScan is a free for Windows software that can be used to set many options in the PCMs and BCMs in Fords.
    https://forscan.org/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I post a lot...

http://www.mosspeedshop.com

I’ve heard great things about him but have no personal experience.

The speedometer gear will fix the speedometer but won’t fix shifting into overdrive early.

I recommend these folks highly.
    Jay
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

What do you guys think, I'm not a fan of the column or dash mounted ones.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201114_100802.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	55178

Iíd swap to a 99-04 mustang cluster personally. I think it looks better but thatís me.

I've seen the left center vent used for many things. Looks fine to me. I have a backup camera screen in mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12265897_10156240762225114_2394595452021546472_o.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	55181  

Quote Originally Posted by 82EmilioPucci View Post
    What do you guys think, I'm not a fan of the column or dash mounted ones.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201114_100802.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	55178
    Works for me. Cat is still skeptical about it.

I’d swap to a 99-04 mustang cluster personally. I think it looks better but that’s me.

This is a thing? Anyone do this before. I am intrigued. I dont have the model years in questions but curious nonetheless.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I've seen the left center vent used for many things. Looks fine to me. I have a backup camera screen in mine.
    Thats sweet my dude

I’d swap to a 99-04 mustang cluster personally. I think it looks better but that’s me.

I didn't know that was an option! because my car never came with a tach and I had to buy a tach adapter

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=1330179

It was actually a 94-98 cluster. But yeah itíll need to be repinned to work. Looks good though.

There's no tach output from the PCM from 99-2004, so tach adapter would still be needed to make that cluster work.

He already has one it seems so that wonít be an issue. This will be a cool mod, if you do it post lots of pics.

https://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/...Number=1330179

It was actually a 94-98 cluster. But yeah it’ll need to be repinned to work. Looks good though.

Cool. Appreciate the link. Looks nice with the finished bezel
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast