PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2001 crown vic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/96-14-UNMAR....c100889.m5204
    Will this tuner work to reprogram the pcm to know the car has new gears, like can I just go in and change it, I'm knew to not stock sort of thing. And you guys were 100% right the gear helped, the speedo is off by about 5mph at 60 and it shifts a little early still.
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 11-18-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Yes. Keep the original speedo gear on hand in case setting the gear change makes the speedo read slow. I forget what year the PCM started feeding the speedo instead of the speedo reading the VSS directly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Thanks, just ordered it, that one end so I had to order a none Bama performance one, they look the same, thanks again!

As long as it's the same SCT model number and unlocks are available, it should work. Might even get a little power bump from it as it may have a canned tune that's a little more aggressive than stock.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

The tuner was worth it, shift harder and the shifts are later, I did the strategy tune after the custom, does it increase the red line?, before the tuner i saw 5 at most and after I saw 5500 and let off, I didn't change it, all I did was rar and speed limiter. I guess my question is stock will they handle that?

It raises the limit a little. I think to 5800 or 6K. The shift points are the real limiting factor. It'll only ever hit redline if you manually shift it. It has a ignition cut limiter, so you WILL notice it if it hits it. Mine is at 6200 IIRC but the shift points limit it to 5800. I need to reduce it a little since my old exhaust is limiting things and it starts to wheeze above 5000. But I just let up on the gas to let it shift and then get back into it. There's really not a whole lot of difference between 2/3 throttle and full throttle. The real "feel the change" is between 1/4 throttle and half throttle. Stock vehicles should handle 6psi boost with no issue. So yeah... no worries on a basic naturally aspirated tune.

Sweet, ya your right the bottom bit of the petal it feels the same, just love bottoming that baby out!
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; Yesterday at 10:47 PM.

Since this being a 01 its already a pi motor, whats next lol, do the throttle body spacers and big throttle bodys have any gains? Also about 85-90 the car drives like a sail boat, just floats left and right, would a bigger front sway bar help? The rear has no sway bar,

get a rear sway bar first. change one thing at a time and then test. Then there's no question if something made it worse. Also, make sure the alignment is good, suspension bushings/joints/steering bits are good, and the tires are decent. Sloppy suspension/steering joints will cause no end of suffering. They should be stable at 100mph. If the ass is sagging, that will be an issue. The rear of the car should be about half an inch to an inch higher than the front. If the rear is lower than the front, it will catch more air and float the car at high speed. My 93 has never floated at speed and I've had it up to 100mph for extended runs here in Texas out in the boonies on the interstates. No issues with the nose floating. I did one run with the wife and kid and my cargo carrier (truck box mounted on it) on the hitch with a good load (I do have load helpers too and that made the car maintain level) and had no issues keeping it straight. I was following a late model charger that was cruising. I kept my distance (about 500-1000 feet) for about an hour before he turned up the wick and left me behind. Caught back up when we got to the big city and hit traffic. They obviously didn't turn the wick up too far. But yeah... about 2 hours between 90 and 100 with zero issues.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123