Digital Dashboard (fuel gauge)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Dashboard (fuel gauge)

Hey guys, tried looking on how and couldn't find anything related to my problem.

When I start my car and run it, all gauges light up on digi dash. However, what I notice is that the fuel gauge (and only the fuel gauge) blacks out. No, it doesn't show as always empty , it shows goes dark after a few minutes of the car running. It's weird.

Have you guys ever ran into this issue? It's an '89 Townie.
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Sounds like the VFD is having issues. Possibly the voltage regulator for the grid. Gets hot and turns off. Might have a loose connection, cold solder joint, or some other issue associated with that one display.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd wager on internal power supply issues. Probably the standard bad capacitors answer.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ok. Is there a write-up about diagnosing these issues?
        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I've never seen service docs for any of this stuff. I guess that was all held secret. Radio service manuals exist so I'm assuming info for the other stuff existed somewhere but no idea where.

There is some diag info in the service manual but largely it tends to go check the power, check the ground, check the resistance of the sending unit, if all good, replace the cluster.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X