No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good. I always like the boring odd colors.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Man this ride is really coming along. Great save. I haven't seen a early Merc Panther around here... ever!

I wouldn't sand it until you are ready to do something with it. Oil it once a month until you are ready to fix it.

When that time comes, I would sandblast those areas and then they'll be ready for a light coat of filler for the putting left behind. I had several of these areas on my 88 and did that method and they have been fine since 2007. The pitting makes the filler stick!
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Spray it with the oily shit (Fluid Film) and rock it. I wouldn't even touch the fender, I like that car just the way it is.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Very nice car. I agree on the color. There’s a car I posted in the internet finds forum a while back that was white with an incredible ivy green interior. All the variations of black, grey and silver on the roads now have no character.
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

My thinking was to take off the trim to expose the hidden rust. I have NOS wheel well trim for the fronts...is this more doable, or would it still be an issue getting them back on? Was thinking that leaving the hidden rust will eventually reer its ugly head at some point. The drivers side fender will get completely replaced next year....of course that trim fits perfect. I have alot of NOS bezels and taillights. I want this cherry.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Well, it's that time....got it running sort of well, messing with the idle on the Motocraft 2150 carb....but this needs to be done. Going to get the new fender cut professionally for the Louvers, dont want to mess this up as I haven't seen to many fenders for sale; it also has the side marker light spot...I will deal with that later.

Any tips of the trade are always welcome Click image for larger version

Name:	20230416_192538.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	1387761

Comment

Fender
                Attached Files

Comment

Well, I've already said what I'd do. Are you going to try and repair all the other rust? Seems counterintuitive to replace just that fender. Car looked cool the way it was, even if that fender was a bit crispier than the rest. I'd just sell that fender you've got to someone who needs that exact part rather than cutting it up, you'll probably make money on it as parts are getting harder and harder to come by.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Cool. The new fender will take some work. The current OEM 79 one is most definitely flanged to hold those awesome louvers. So damn cool. interested in seeing how they create the flanges or just cut out the existing area on the 79 fender and weld that in on the replacement so it has the OEM flange.
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Only one wheel well will take some Bono, all others are surface rust. I have all NOS taillights ...housings...all wheel well trim, even the truck lock emblem. I have scrounged togeather over the years. Getting the faded Antique Cream color matched.

Got the fender for $180 years ago with $150 in shipping, not sure how much money I would make on something like this....great advice about the welding, will see when I get this thing off.
                      Last edited by Grand1; 04-17-2023, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Just a swag, It might be the same general way they do the ditch lights. Punch it out small allowing enough metal to fold back into mounting flanges.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It may also just be stamped? Whatever it is it is definitely worth keeping them. So jealous.

Below is an ad for the louver itself and you can see it has four locations for attachment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25421128052...Bk9SR9KCtpHyYQ

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	360.1 KB ID:	1387781
                          ~David~

Comment

Could they just be surface mounted with four studs poked through the fender?
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I suppose but that would look like the guy that had too much time in the bling aisle at the local parts store. Just tacky and stuck on. The original sits in a stamped section on the fender and would look way more proper.
                              ~David~

Comment

Ok, If it was not originally that way then it would look exactly that way.
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                                X