No announcement yet.

My 79 Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good thing Derek was there I'm pretty useless when it comes to carbs.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wagonman is the man! Holy crap, so glad he has one of those for the gas tank. I remember thinking to myself, "Where the fuck and when are we going to come across one of those?" It's always a PITA to try and search for the stuff online too. Suppose we could hit a junkyard, although not sure if that stuff changed from year to year. Also, first gas tank I ever did on one of these. Not so bad, minus all the rust in your eyes. Also, Ashley wants to see pics of the '79, she seemed more interested in that than the '87...

Let me know when you get those gaskets for the carb, will work for french fries..
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I will make sure to leave a Hansel and Gretal trail of taters leading to my carb. On your advice, I am fixing the brakes so carb can be tuned in drive. The one caliper I messed with was siezed. Anyway, was replacing it with a new brake hose with a line wrench and the brake line fitting rounded like a bitch, had the consistency of hard cheese, so gonna have to replace the front lines too.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

LoL yeah, put a big bowl of 'em right on the carb.

The joys of rust & crust. I was amazed by that van, I was able to reuse all of the metal lines as they all came apart like a three or five year old car might.

Comment

Just how exact does the double flare have to be? First time, so I have done several and they dont seem that good. I file it down square before pressing it out and make sure everything is lined up.... would this pass muster ?Click image for larger version

Name:	20210602_214354.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1289104Click image for larger version

Name:	20210602_214425.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1289105

Comment

Looks better than some of the ones I've flared. If it don't leak, ship it.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Looks alright to me. Did you remember to put the nut on the line before flaring? I hate when I have to cut a perfect flare off because I forgot the nut.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

clamped down, that should be fine.
                  +1 if it don't leak, ship it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, like the other's said. Looks good enough. if it doesn't leak it should be fine.

I switched over to paying a bit more for the Nicopp (Nickle/Copper) lines. They bend really easy without kinking and don't randomly split when you flare them. They're really nice to deal with. Usually with those, I know my first flare will usually work without issue.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Thanks for the replies. What should I do about brake fluid draining? I have the new line ready to go. As soon as I take the old line from the proportion valve, I was gonna try and quickly swap it with my new one, with the line clamped/plugged. But if it fights me, sure I dont want my master cylinder to run dry.

Comment

I think you can get away with a prop rod holding the brake pedal to the floor. Or if you've got rubber caps or whatever, you can use those. Next time I come up I'll bring mine, but I imagine you'll already have it done by then.

Comment

Gonna have to bleed it either way. Leave the cap on and the everything else sealed and it shouldn't drip a lot. Just dismount the old line without disconnecting it and mount the new one, then change over at the prop valve and then the rear rubber line and that should help limit loss as well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well the proportion valve is positioned to where I have no way of placing a line wrench on the line. Should I cut a 5 inch access point in my wheel shroud or should I take everything off it?
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210603_133238.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1289106

Comment

Well the proportion valve is positioned to where I have no way of placing a line wrench on the line. In the picture I am lifting the shroud as high it can go. Its the farthest line in the back. Should I cut a 5 inch access point in my wheel shroud or should I take everything off it?

Name:	20210603_133238.jpg
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1289106

Name:	20210603_133756.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1289107
                              Last edited by Grand1; 06-03-2021, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Might be a pain, but my vote is to remove things rather than cut things.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X