$50 1985 grand marquis questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$50 1985 grand marquis questions

ok i just bought a 1985 Grand Marquis for $50 yes thats right FIFTY DOLLARS! and i have a few questions, the reason i got the car so cheap was the previous owner said it had a blown head gasket, he based this on the fact that it overheated once and the car started losing power and thecheck engine light came on and the heater stopped working or somthing like that, now what could cause those symptoms other than a blown head gasket? the reason im asking is i checked the motor and it has a slight tick on the passanger side but nothing serious and the oil is normal not milky or contaminated and i let it run for about 20 minutes sitting still and the exhaust smelt normal (STINKY BUT NORMAL) and help would be appreciated. thanks

you can see pics of the car here

http://photobucket.com/albums/c190/c...and%20Marquis/
    :poop2:

I would say replace the thermostat. Check or replace the radiator too.

Sweet another 85 merk!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Welcome!!!
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

but i would know if it was a blown gasket from what i checked right?

Comment

Re: $50 1985 grand marquis questions

Originally posted by colinlesser
          ok i just bought a 1985 Grand Marquis for $50 yes thats right FIFTY DOLLARS! and i have a few questions, the reason i got the car so cheap was the previous owner said it had a blown head gasket, he based this on the fact that it overheated once and the car started losing power and thecheck engine light came on and the heater stopped working or somthing like that, now what could cause those symptoms other than a blown head gasket? the reason im asking is i checked the motor and it has a slight tick on the passanger side but nothing serious and the oil is normal not milky or contaminated and i let it run for about 20 minutes sitting still and the exhaust smelt normal (STINKY BUT NORMAL) and help would be appreciated. thanks
          IIRC the check engine light illumintates only when its overheating, or you lose oil pressure. And obviously you would lose power during this. If the oil isnt milky/ frothy after the engine has been run, and there is no white smoke from teh exhaust, you might be in the clear. I remember when my car blew the trans and overheated, I thought I blew the headgasket too. That is all the stuff I checked and my car was fine except for the trans . Still if I were you I would immediatly get a new thermostat and go the extra mile for a new radiator.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

why a new rad?

Comment

Welcome. Nice for 50 bux.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

feel the coolant hoses, they will bulge if there is a blown head gasket allowing cylinder pressure in the coolant passages. Id just change the thermostat and oil to try to get rid of that tick.
                Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

you mean as the engine fires ?

Comment

Sweet '85, one thing i noticed in the pics is the antenna is on the rear passenger side not on the front. I've never seen one like that, is it powered too?

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Yeah, give her a squeeze with it off and then fire it up to see if you can feel more than normal pressure while the engine is running, that is if you don't have a compression tester. You could rent one from autozone that would be a better way to check.
                      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

yes it is on the back and its powered but isnt working at the moment :slug:

Comment

Nice ride you got there!

Welcome!!!!
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by colinlesser
                            why a new rad?
                            When mine overheated I figured out, it was the radiator. Its just me but I would replace it to eliminate any chance of it overheating again.

Comment

ill replace the thermostat and install a oil pressure and water temp guage, oh yea since theres no old ones on the car is it like hooking them up on any other vehicle since there is no sender unit?

Comment

Working...
                              X