Sending Unit, Carb Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sending Unit, Carb Applications

eBay item # 184381168745 is Ford part number E0LF-9275-KA, a fuel gauge sending unit which very much looks to be correct for box Panthers, and has the carburetor fuel pick-up tube. It also has a second tube, the function of which I am not sure, since I thought all the carb Panthers were returnless...but it seems I am mistaken about this.

Listing says it's for 1980 Lincoln Panthers but I suspect it could be usable (plugging the second line fitting where not needed) for:
    79-89 Ford/Mercury with carb
    80-87 all Lincoln with carb, 88-89 Lincoln only with analog cluster and carb (if they even exist that late with carbs)

As I do have a carb Panther I'm very tempted by this but the price is just a little high for me...I have two, both in poor condition, which is why I'm on the fence about it. But hey, figured I'd throw it out here in case someone can use it. It's a rare item, especially with the second line fitting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	e0lf-9275-ka-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1305522Click image for larger version

Name:	e0lf-9275-ka-1.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1305523

Edit: WARNING: This thread and things I've said imply things that are not true! Lincolns with digital clusters use different senders and these different senders have the wrong resistance for Ford/Mercury/analog Lincoln. Tread carefully.
    Last edited by kishy; 06-22-2021, 10:54 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Here is a direct fit for a sedan. A little pricey too! WagonMan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E0LY-9....c100008.m2219
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      Here is a direct fit for a sedan. A little pricey too! WagonMan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-E0LY-9....c100008.m2219
      Thank you for the part number, I was trying to find that (and it's how I got into this topic to begin with).

(being extremely verbose to help future Googlers)

Item 174436680479, E0LY-9275-B, looks to be for EFI cars...does not have the fuel pickup tube.
      I find it very interesting that it has an E0 part number since the fuel pickup tube should have been a mandatory feature until what...83? When EEC-III CFI first came around and an in-take electric pump was added.

"Best offer" is tempting but I'm pretty sure if I throw that guy an offer of $120 USD (the most I'll pay for NOS of this item) he's going to have a good chuckle about it and then block me from future interactions.

Name:	e0ly-9275-b-2.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1288155Click image for larger version

Name:	e0ly-9275-b-1.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1288156

edit: have we seen the Herko 539GE? https://herko.com/Retail/oem-ford-fu...car-82-89.html
      This looks to be a new production third party replacement for our sedan (and with a bit of bending probably wagon too) sending unit, and it is not expensive.
      They sell it direct on their website, and also on eBay and Amazon.
      Last edited by kishy; 10-22-2020, 02:47 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I just made a sending unit for my wagon from a sedan unit. A little twist and lengthening the rod, it works mint! Thanks for the link for the Herko! WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

You can also adapt a universal 73-10 ohm sending unit to the stock arm if yours is too crusty. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-vsu-f

Comment

1980 US Lincolns got EEC3 CFI with an in-tank pump.

Master parts manual says E0LY-9275B for 81-89 Ford/Mercury (Vic/GM) sedan 5.0 with EFI or CFI.
            80-89 Non-EFI with vapor return tube is E0LY-9275A
            80-85 non-efi w/o vapor return is E0AZ-9275F

If we're talking wagon,
            E1AZ-9275-A is 81-89 EFI/CFI
            D9AZ-9275-B is non-FI

so the extra tit is probably for the vapor line. Cap it off if you don't need it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

'80 having EEC-III explains why the tube-less sender exists beginning in '80, thank you.

Vapo(u)r return line is interesting. Would a car so-equipped not have the vent on the top of the tank, or is this somehow in addition to that?

Worth taking a peek at, again for the carb crowd...'69-72 Full Size Ford sending unit eyeballs favourably for fitting our stuff, but you'd have to extend the tube. Just thinking about when our commercially unloved cars age-out to the point that these things can't be had anywhere and we need to turn elsewhere.

As for crusty, in my case the part I need to replace on my carb car is the mounting plate itself. This thread is just an exploration in identifying and finding the things. You can bet if someone properly needs the OP item (seems to be '80 Lincoln carb sending unit) it's probably exceptionally hard to find once that listing sells.
              Last edited by kishy; 10-22-2020, 06:56 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

My 79 has two canisters one from tank and one from carb if I am understanding things.

Name:	20201022_232710.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1288157Click image for larger version

Name:	20201022_233202.jpg
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1288158

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Thinking its for the two line fuel pump. Not so much a vapor line as the fuel return line. Those started to appear late in the carb era to deal with vapor lock problems. Keep the fuel moving through the pump so it can't get hot and boil. It also reduces fuel vapor release because it doesn't boil and puke out of the carb vent.

The carb vent did go to the charcoal canister later, also as part of dealing with fuel vapor leakage. In the old days the vent just sat over the throat of the carb and if anything puked out of it it just went down the carb or out of the air cleaner if the engine wasn't running. Venting it to the canister captured it until it could be sucked in while the engine was running to be burned. Same with the fuel tank, it burns the fumes instead of just venting it.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bit of an update here prompted by Grand1's possible sending unit problem for his 79, which has the single fuel line connector variant of this part.

As best I can tell, this is the current list of available NOS sending units for box Panthers sold new with factory-installed carburetors on eBay:

Vehicle applications have not been verified. Note a mix of offerings with single or dual line fittings.
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/264806792263
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/173870596932
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/184617480436
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/184596308928

Now, the rekindled interest in this topic had me sort of wishing I could fix my '83, which is down waiting for a sending unit to turn up for less than a bajillion Canadian dollars after conversion and international shipping. When I looked earlier today, this was a new entrant to the selection (since my last search), and I immediately bought it because of the lower price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303794296244
                    As we can see, it has the second line fitting, which I do not need and will just cap off. Of course, if some other issue arises that prevents it being used on my vehicle, I will report back with that.

Here's where it gets interesting. While digging around tonight, I found this listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154492223629
                    Note the part number: F0AZ-9275-B
                    This is a 1990-revision part. I have to wonder if this is the special and rather unique guy that works with the 90-94 instrument cluster yet goes in a 351-powered car. Gadget...you're better at figuring that out than I am.
                    The difference, if I am correct in thinking that, is the resistance of the rheostat is a different ohm range and is reversed from the earlier boxes.
                    I would have expected to see a plastic float and plastic body for the rheostat, but it is not impossible that they made them in this style as well.
                    Of course, I am kicking myself about not seeing this one first as it is substantially cheaper, and I have sending units I can swap the rheostat parts off of even if it was wrong for me. I really just need the structural metal of it to solve my problem.
                    Last edited by kishy; 06-14-2021, 12:01 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

The 90+ fuel tanks are different. One hole with the sending unit and fuel pump on the EFI models, and its on the front. Older tanks had those parts separate, with the level sender going into a smaller hole on the front and the pump in the big hole on the back. No idea if the electrical stuff is different, but the plate is probably different since it installs in a different size opening.

Comment

EFI models excluding '90-'91 Wagons which remained separate fuel pump and sending unit assemblies but have the newer resistance range like the '90-'91 351 cars kishy mentioned.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yes, sorry, that is what I meant. 90-91 wagons, specifically. Edit: no, see later reply, this whole line of thought is not accurate for carburetor cars.

I put in an offer on it and won it, so I guess I'll be answering that question myself. Surplus part will become available to the community unless I decide I might want to buy another carb Panther someday.

I do not intend to scrap my no-good ones, I want to experiment with ways to make them not suck so much.
                          Last edited by kishy; 06-22-2021, 10:50 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                          | Junkyards

Comment

With the prices listed, dont scap anything.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Definitely not. Prices aside, it's a rare item. If I can successfully refurbish my two bad ones that's 2 more in existence available to be used.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                              X