Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a Panther: the Mike Ehrmantraut special - 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue - $1,100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a Panther: the Mike Ehrmantraut special - 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue - $1,100

"Be still, my heart." A classic Chrysler for sale south of Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto...215836112.html

From the ad:
    "I have a 1988 chrysler it is in good running order but it is old
    I would like to sell it or trade it
    I need a truck but i will tread for almost any thing"

Pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	1305524 Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1305525 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1305526 Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	1305527
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Good job on the Breaking Bad reference. I’d rock one of those. Neighbor had one when I was growing up. Drove it a few times. Very Panther-ish. Touchy brakes, torquey with no power, bone chilling AC and pinky steering.

Combine that with awesome seats and what else do you need?
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      Good job on the Breaking Bad reference. I’d rock one of those. Neighbor had one when I was growing up. Drove it a few times. Very Panther-ish. Touchy brakes, torquey with no power, bone chilling AC and pinky steering.

Combine that with awesome seats and what else do you need?
      Only thing I disliked about those cars was the weird turn signals on top of the headlights design choice.

My reference was actually more Better Call Saul than Breaking Bad. Love both series, but I actually prefer Better Call Saul.
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

I.. don't really care for those. 1978 technology held over up until 1988. No OD, ugly flood lit instrument cluster, carpitated and leaf spring rear suspension. I'm surprised anyone bought them past 1983 or so. Seats look plush but that's about all they've got going for them.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Really? I had no idea they were so behind the times even for the '80s.
          —John

Comment

LoL yup, pretty underwhelming eh? I think there was 4bbl option but I've never seen one with it. Guess Chrysler banked more on their smaller platforms and their trucks, which were also hold overs from the 70's but at least those were eventually updated with OD and EFI. You're better off buying one of the larger cars from the 70's if you're going to go MoPar. I tried to like those 80's ones initially, I wanted to. In fact, my first car was supposed to be my grandfather's old '87 5th Avenue. It was sexy, white with red leather interior. But that didn't happen and eventually I discovered all the mediocrity which was whatever platform pertains to those things.

Comment

I will say this, which is of little relevance: the FWD 88-93 New Yorker is a plusher feeling, more comfortably appointed car than any Panther ever was.

The M-body (which is what the car I've described above indirectly replaced) was a technological dinosaur, but it still did have seats that were leagues better than any seat any Panther ever received. For all the shortcomings the car may have had, those seats...I suspect they make up for all of it.

Current driver: Ranger
              Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
              | 88 TC | 91 GM
              Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
              Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

But... you hate carburetors. Seats can't possibly make up for it that much. I quite like the seats in my Town Car, thank you very much :P

I could never embrace the later New Yorkers. Guess I'd own that dinosaur before one of those unless of course gifted to me.

Comment

Can confirm, the armchair-like leather seats in those are divine! A friend of mine had a fully loaded Fifth Avenue, last year of the RWD.
                  He also had an '80 Diplomat Coupe, that was supposedly quite rare. I never saw it fully assembled, he bought it as a non-runner and sold it running and "driving".
                  He definitely learned that rare doesn't equal expensive every time.

Another friend had one of those FWD New Yorkers, nice seats there too, but I remember it being horrifyingly slow. No overdrive with those 4-cyls either.
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                  1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Just like the Brougham plush seats in the GM cars... SOFA on the road. Very nice place to sit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I drove many of the cheaper Dodge Diplomats with the "high performance 318" at work. Rarely could get 100mph out of them. Not very impressive. Owned two diplomats. The 5th Ave was much more plush with the same basic body and drive train. I bought a few 5th ave s at the salvage auctions. They always went cheap. The worst thing was the Electronic Emission Control module on the air cleaner. (can't remember the name) If it was a CA. smog only item or not I don't know. Expensive nightmare.
                      One thing I hated was how those Chrysler/Dodge B body cars handled under adverse conditions. Totally different than a Ford or Chevy.
                      I must say the durability of the drivetrain was excellent Hard to break.

Comment

They were decent cars for the times. No worse than a CFI Panther, in my opinion. The 318/torque flight was pretty indestructible. Yes the crude electronic carb BS sucked, but again no worse than many other cars of the era.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

The durability of the LA series is at least one good thing Chrysler had going for it. The 318 in my Fury ran pretty good. Got that thing past 100 plenty of times. It was a bit hopped up though.

Comment

Chrysler Lean Burn was the electronic crap.

Wonder if anyone has ever stuffed a V10 in one. Those were essentially a 360 with 2 more cylinders. Seems like it would be a fun and silly thing to do, find a rotted out V10 pickup and swap it. Even just a later Magnum swap or refresh the stock engine with less-junk parts. Its 1980s smog era crap, but the Chrysler LA engines are very capable of not sucking if the proper parts are installed.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X