No announcement yet.

Yet another noob reporting, from the land of sausage and vodka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can tell a few things from your door tag.

The M79 in the VIN tells me this is a Colony Park. There is also an M78 code. I am unsure if the difference, but would guess it is similar to the sedan GS/LS trim versions. It might be the woodgrain difference, but that was more of a delete option on the Colony Park in my opinion and I doubt it would get its own VIN code in that case.

The 74K tells us it’s a wagon. I think we knew that lol.

The YB is the interior color, and is midnight blue, in cloth on a split bench.

The F tells me your car had an electronic AM/FM no cassette.

The axle code Z is 3.08 with traction-lok. Relatively uncommon to see. I personally like that gear for a highway cruiser.

Your DSO 41 is Chicago, which means the order for the vehicle was originally from that area. More than likely, the car spent its first days there, although not always 100% guaranteed. Canadian cars have a different DSO, as do export to other country cars.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome. Nice car with a neat story so far. Good luck with it.
      The amount of info in these forums and in the minds of some of these Panther lovers still amazes me.
      You're in the right place.
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        I can tell a few things from your door tag.

The M79 in the VIN tells me this is a Colony Park. There is also an M78 code. I am unsure if the difference, but would guess it is similar to the sedan GS/LS trim versions. It might be the woodgrain difference, but that was more of a delete option on the Colony Park in my opinion and I doubt it would get its own VIN code in that case.

The 74K tells us it’s a wagon. I think we knew that lol.

The YB is the interior color, and is midnight blue, in cloth on a split bench.

The F tells me your car had an electronic AM/FM no cassette.

The axle code Z is 3.08 with traction-lok. Relatively uncommon to see. I personally like that gear for a highway cruiser.

Your DSO 41 is Chicago, which means the order for the vehicle was originally from that area. More than likely, the car spent its first days there, although not always 100% guaranteed. Canadian cars have a different DSO, as do export to other country cars.
        Thank you very much! The radio unit is an electronic one, with AM (medium) and FM tuners, but a cassette player is also present. It is an original Ford unit with US frequency tuning. Speaking of Chicago: I am aware that there is a large number of Polish expats living there, so it would be quite a sensible idea to search for a car overseas using some help from a fellow-countrymen, I guess - especially some 25 years ago.

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
        Oooh, you've got a brick Volvo "problem" aswell. I know the differences a 700-series US-spec, but what differences would there be for a 960 (and S60)?
        Any reasons other than visual to want US-spec European cars?
        Humm, the 960 pre-facelift would go like this, I guess:

A) Certain differences;
        -> headlights and front blinkers;
        -> fender blinkers replaced with plastic Volvo logos;
        -> gasoline engines choice limited to inline-sixes only;
        -> instrument cluster;
        -> AC control panel scaled in F instead of C;
        -> left switch panel with "unleaded fuel only" written as a standard;
        -> US-specific radio unit with no RDS.

B) Possible differences:
        -> no diesel engines available (not sure about that);
        -> airbag availability (as a standard?);
        -> aerial semi-automatic with a switch located in the dashboard (all radio units have the full-auto option built in, but I saw the US ones to be equipped with a switch, that allows to use the radio unit whilst the aerial is retracted);
        -> certain body paint and interior colours available/not available (there was a highly popular, blueish green colour that was much more scarce in case of the EU ones);
        -> service & maintenance stickers;
        -> plastic "fake lights" for the tailgate, the 940 had one as an option, I guess it should have a hole the size of a US plate, not the EU one;
        -> doors-not-closed beeper.

I guess that should do, but I am not entirely certain. Not sure about S60s, they are a bit too new for me. I would guess - instrument cluster, headlights and blinkers, "fake taillights", bumpers?

Comment

bnw You do qwn a 88 wagon due to it being assembled after July of 1987, any American car manufactured before July like for example my car was built 4/1990 and that makes my car a 1990 LTD Crown Victoria if it was after July a 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
            Humm, the 960 pre-facelift would go like this, I guess:

A) Certain differences;
            -> headlights and front blinkers;
            -> fender blinkers replaced with plastic Volvo logos;
            -> gasoline engines choice limited to inline-sixes only;
            -> instrument cluster;
            -> AC control panel scaled in F instead of C;
            -> left switch panel with "unleaded fuel only" written as a standard;
            -> US-specific radio unit with no RDS.

B) Possible differences:
            -> no diesel engines available (not sure about that);
            -> airbag availability (as a standard?);
            -> aerial semi-automatic with a switch located in the dashboard (all radio units have the full-auto option built in, but I saw the US ones to be equipped with a switch, that allows to use the radio unit whilst the aerial is retracted);
            -> certain body paint and interior colours available/not available (there was a highly popular, blueish green colour that was much more scarce in case of the EU ones);
            -> service & maintenance stickers;
            -> plastic "fake lights" for the tailgate, the 940 had one as an option, I guess it should have a hole the size of a US plate, not the EU one;
            -> doors-not-closed beeper.

I guess that should do, but I am not entirely certain. Not sure about S60s, they are a bit too new for me. I would guess - instrument cluster, headlights and blinkers, "fake taillights", bumpers?
            Kinda what I expected, then there's the weirder things like the engine choices and most of what you listed under B. Americans missed so much fun having barely any diesel cars. D24TIC <3
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
              bnw You do qwn a 88 wagon due to it being assembled after July of 1987, any American car manufactured before July like for example my car was built 4/1990 and that makes my car a 1990 LTD Crown Victoria if it was after July a 1991.
              I have a 1991 MGM that was built 4/1990. 10th character of the VIN (model year designator) is M. It is indeed a 1991 model with all the 1991 specific changes (single color turbines, lower pinstripe). Your VIN should have the 10th character of L for 1990.

A general rule of thumb, which you pointed out, for model years is first half of the calendar year matches the current model year while the second half of the calendar year is the next model year (most vehicles, if not all, being produced now are currently in the 2021 model year). Definitely just a rule of thumb as this does not always hold true. Some model years start earlier and some later, but still a good general rule of thumb. Production delays can cause the start to be delayed. Redesign years sometimes are early, or like my 1991 MGM, the model year might start early to end a model before a major redesign (I guess).

For the OP, that VIN does have a J as the 10th character meaning it is indeed a 1988 Model Year VIN. (Obviously not 2018 when J was reused again for the model year designator, LOL.)
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 10-30-2020, 11:24 AM.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Small news on the way, big questions arrive as well...

I got the car back from the garage, where it was put to have the leaks checked for. So far, it looks like there is some leakage from the top covers of both cylinder banks, and somewhere "lower", from the engine underbelly, I guess? Also, some leaks are definitely on the transmission/differential mechanism, as there was some 0.5l of ATF missing (enough to make the car loose pressure on the valve plate while driving out from the underground garage, with a cold transmission). I am going to get the seals and have it fixed, and then we can go with welding the undersides.

I am also looking for any info, or maybe a scanned owner's handbook for the MY'88 MGM. Mine has the autolamp option, but I don't understand how it works - at all. I presume that something is wrong with the whole system (especially as one of the previous owners replaced the low beams with Chinese xenon lamps), but without any knowledge on HOW it should work when fully operational, it is hard to fix anything...

Another small problem is the shift/gear/transmission indicator in the instrument cluster: it is dead stuck on "P", so finding an actual gear requires some precision and awareness, that could be actually used somewhere else. Any common problems with this stuff are known, or rather not? :?

Last but not least: I think that I am ready to write down the whole story behind the car, where it was bought, how was the first journey, and why the hell did I decide to buy this particular model - and then share the process of rebuilding the worn-off MGM into a sensible daily car. Shall I start a new thread somewhere, or just ask nicely to have this one moved to another place?

Comment

Originally posted by bnw View Post
                  Small news on the way, big questions arrive as well...

I got the car back from the garage, where it was put to have the leaks checked for. So far, it looks like there is some leakage from the top covers of both cylinder banks, and somewhere "lower", from the engine underbelly, I guess? Also, some leaks are definitely on the transmission/differential mechanism, as there was some 0.5l of ATF missing (enough to make the car loose pressure on the valve plate while driving out from the underground garage, with a cold transmission). I am going to get the seals and have it fixed, and then we can go with welding the undersides.

I am also looking for any info, or maybe a scanned owner's handbook for the MY'88 MGM. Mine has the autolamp option, but I don't understand how it works - at all. I presume that something is wrong with the whole system (especially as one of the previous owners replaced the low beams with Chinese xenon lamps), but without any knowledge on HOW it should work when fully operational, it is hard to fix anything...

Another small problem is the shift/gear/transmission indicator in the instrument cluster: it is dead stuck on "P", so finding an actual gear requires some precision and awareness, that could be actually used somewhere else. Any common problems with this stuff are known, or rather not? :?

Last but not least: I think that I am ready to write down the whole story behind the car, where it was bought, how was the first journey, and why the hell did I decide to buy this particular model - and then share the process of rebuilding the worn-off MGM into a sensible daily car. Shall I start a new thread somewhere, or just ask nicely to have this one moved to another place?
                  Ok drawing from memory because I haven't owned a box Panther since 2015.

1. The leaks are probably the valve cover gaskets, oil pan gasket, possibly rear main seal, and the transmission pan. All of those except the rear main seal are fairly easy.

2. The autolamp is pretty simple if it's in working condition. I imagine you already know that you pull the knob one notch and get parking/running lights, second notch is headlights on. With the knob pushed all the way in rotate the knob closest to the dash counterclockwise, the further you go the longer the lights will stay on after you turn off the key. Once you've turned the knob counterclockwise the lights should come on automatically when you turn on the ignition and the sensor senses that it's dark enough outside, they'll go out when it's daylight.

3. The gear indicator is operated by a little plastic strap that is attached to the steering column and the instrument cluster. As I understand it they are known to get brittle and break with age. I don't know if it's replaceable but I'm sure someone here has a fix for it. Another member here helped me intall a Tripminder in my '88 Grand Marquis back in 2011 and we were in the dash far enough to have the instrument cluster out and the piece I'm talking about just seemed a bit flimsy.

4. I suppose that's up to you but you could always start a thread in the "Readers Rides" section.
                  2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Another engine oil leak culprit is the oil pressure switch.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Clean the cold engine and trans with some self-emulsifying cleaner. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Gunk-EBGEL-Ou...4371633&sr=8-5

If you have a pressure washer, so after it all with that. If not, a water hose will do pretty well. Let it dry then take it for a short drive. Engine and transmission leaks aren’t too hard to find when it’s all clean.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                        Another engine oil leak culprit is the oil pressure switch.
                        Had that problem on the 2001 Town Car, it wasn't leaking but the low oil pressure light would come on. It was backed out about two turns from tight. That fixed that issue.
                        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I decided to go full-scale, and posted a thread in the Reader's Rides forum. Hope you enjoy that one, too - I will post all the updates, etc. there.

Comment

Working...
                          X