Aod transmission bellhousing cracking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aod transmission bellhousing cracking

Ok got a weird problem here I drive a Lincoln town car with a Ford aod I went through two transmissions already with the same exact problem it cracks right there where the starter bolts up granted I'm going over 85 maybe 90 or 95 miles an hour not sure if it has anything to do with it or not what can I do to solve or correct this issue and if it's a speed thing what can I do to solve that issue besides slowing down

Aod transmission cracking

Ok got a weird problem here I drive a Lincoln town car with a Ford aod I went through two transmissions already with the same exact problem it cracks right there where the starter bolts up granted I'm going over 85 maybe 90 or 95 miles an hour not sure if it has anything to do with it or not what can I do to solve or correct this issue and if it's a speed thing what can I do to solve that issue besides slowing down
    Last edited by 88tcsleeper; 10-29-2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Aod transmission cracking

Sorry for crossposting but I'm a noob and I dont know how yo delete a thread but any way...Ok got a weird problem here I drive a Lincoln town car with a Ford aod I went through two transmissions already with the same exact problem it cracks right there where the starter bolts up granted I'm going over 85 maybe 90 or 95 miles an hour not sure if it has anything to do with it or not what can I do to solve or correct this issue and if it's a speed thing what can I do to solve that issue besides slowing down

Comment

I've had the ears on the starter body crack off, but never a bell housing. I doubt speed has much to do with it unless your whole drivetain is sloppy to the point where some natural resonance is causing a fatigue crack... Or whomever has replaced your started keeps going apeshit on the bolts, stripping them. Maybe the starter backs out and contacts the running flexplate...

Comment

I’m going to point a finger at your driveshaft.

Is it a custom part? What diameter? What is your rear axle ratio?

90MPH with a long 3in steel driveshaft increases the potential for some unhappy vibes.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

are you missing the shim between the trans and engine? Without it things don't fit right and it could be causing an alignment issue. Otherwise all that comes to mind besides vibration or install problems is maybe a damaged flexplate or starter that isn't disengaging correctly.

if its a vibe issue, check the balancer for condition and being the proper one. Same with the flexplate. There is an early and a late, not sure what engine you have in there but the parts changed in 1982.

possible the too-short driveshaft is an issue. Without proper support it might be flopping around too much but I'd expect that would just hammer out the tailshaft bushing, not crack the case at the starter. Either way Lincolns need Lincoln transmissions or you need a driveshaft spacer to make up the difference.

and please don't open multiple threads for the same question. Merging these together.
            Last edited by gadget73; 10-29-2020, 07:10 PM.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had that happen with a Ford Granada. 302 with a C-4 transmission. This was back in 1990. Engine was replaced by a shop. The engine and transmission was never aligned properly and the bell housing cracked. I would take it to a transmission shop for an opinion. Might be that a bolt or two is backing out. Maybe a transmission/engine mount is broken ?
              Keep driving at 85-95 mph and your car wont last. Older vehicles won't take that abuse for long. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Yes there was a switch from 28oz imbalance to 50oz. So make sure your trans shop didn't use a older c4 flexplate which works for an AOD as well. Proper alignment is achieved with two dowel pins on the block, make sure they are present.

Comment

At one point I had a problem with my starters they would engage even after I start the car and they will burn out I thought it was the ignition switch so I replaced it then I thought maybe the starter was trying to engage while I was driving maybe that what cracked in the transmission I'm not really sure and also I use the same flexplate that came with the car never change the flexplate even though I change transmission

Comment

is the engine original or some other year? The engine determines what flexplate and balancer you need.

if the starter is staying engaged, thats usually a bad relay, which sometimes fails because the starter is dying and drawing too much current. I don't know that it would crack the trans, but it would beat the hell out of the flexplate, the starter, and your ears.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X