No announcement yet.

Handling, and how to improve it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And general question to all those reading, would this spring work? It seems to have the same outside diameter as the speedway front springs. But is 11 inches tall instead of 12.

11x5.5 OD Springs: https://fastperformancechassis.com/1...k-for-ratings/

Comment

Originally posted by AngryMcMuffin View Post
      Oh, sweet manual swap. Glancing at the thread on The Brown Blog a little, what's your suspension setup?
      Thanks.

Here is a copy and paste

Suspension:
      1. Genuine 1998 Ford Crown Victoria HPP Lacy Wheels with polished Lips and Black Centers (New Yokohama Avid Envigor High Performance All Seasons 235/60/16)
      2. New 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sport Replica Wheels (New General Grabber UHP 255/50/17) (ALY03471U20N)
      3. 98-02 NON ABS Master Cylinder and Booster
      4. Big Brake Conversion (Everything New)
      5. Rear Disc Conversion (Everything New)
      6. NOS Ford Rear Disc Brake Dust/Splash Shields (F5AZ 2C028A)
      7. Re manufactured Motorcraft 99 to 02 Police Interceptor Steering Box (XW7Z-3504-ABRM,STG-35-RM)
      8. Ford Racing 3.73 Ring and Pinion
      9. Ford Racing Axle Girdle (M-4033-G2)
      10. CNC machined 6061 T6 Billet Aluminum1.25" Hubcentric Wheel Spacers in Rear
      11. Energy Suspension Body Bushings (9.4102R)
      12. Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushings (4.3150R)
      13. Energy Suspension Lower Control Arm Bump Stops (9-9150R)
      14. Energy Suspension Rear Control Arm Bushings (4.3151R)
      15. Energy Suspension Transmission Mount (4.1104G)
      16. Energy Suspension Shock Bushings Front and Rear (9-8104R)
      17. Speedway Motors Tru-Coil 925# Front 1” Lowering Springs
      18. Speedway Motors Tru-Coil 225# Rear 1” Lowering Springs
      19. Moog Rear Coil Spring Insulator (K62032)
      20. KYB Gas Adjusts Shock Front ( KG5458)
      21. KYB Gas Adjusts Shocks Rear (KG5521)
      22. 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 Police 1” Rear Anti-Sway Bar
      23. 1998 1 1/8" Crown Victoria Front Sway Bar
      24. Moog Stabilizer Bar End Links (K8953)
      25. Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings (9.5170R)
      26. Curt V-5 2" Receiver Trailer Hitch (S-048)
      27. 1989 Mercury Colony Park Power Steering Cooler
      28. 1986 Ford Country Squire Fender Braces
      29. 1987 Lincoln Town Car Chassis Braces
      30. All New Brake Lines
      31. Hurst Line Loc (1745000K)

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post587970

This link here shows a good visual of my before (cargo coils in rear) then just the rear dropped with the speedway 225 and then finally the front with speedway 925

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post587981

This is a good before and after pic as well:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post587982
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

And general question to all those reading, would this spring work? It seems to have the same outside diameter as the speedway front springs. But is 11 inches tall instead of 12.

11x5.5 OD Springs: https://fastperformancechassis.com/1...k-for-ratings/
        That's hard to say without knowing the number of coils, wire diameter, and therefore load capacity. I hope that picture is just universal, if not there's no way that would work, or have the load capacity for these cars. It's odd they didn't put in critical information..
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          That's hard to say without knowing the number of coils, wire diameter, and therefore load capacity. I hope that picture is just universal, if not there's no way that would work, or have the load capacity for these cars. It's odd they didn't put in critical information..
          I gotcha, that makes sense. I know you can select the spring rate. But what do you mean by load capacity? Like, the size of the actual spring itself? Wouldn't that change based on the spring rate, to a degree?

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Thanks.

Here is a copy and paste

Suspension:
            1. Genuine 1998 Ford Crown Victoria HPP Lacy Wheels with polished Lips and Black Centers (New Yokohama Avid Envigor High Performance All Seasons 235/60/16)
            2. New 2001 Ford Crown Victoria Sport Replica Wheels (New General Grabber UHP 255/50/17) (ALY03471U20N)
            3. 98-02 NON ABS Master Cylinder and Booster
            4. Big Brake Conversion (Everything New)
            5. Rear Disc Conversion (Everything New)
            6. NOS Ford Rear Disc Brake Dust/Splash Shields (F5AZ 2C028A)
            7. Re manufactured Motorcraft 99 to 02 Police Interceptor Steering Box (XW7Z-3504-ABRM,STG-35-RM)
            8. Ford Racing 3.73 Ring and Pinion
            9. Ford Racing Axle Girdle (M-4033-G2)
            10. CNC machined 6061 T6 Billet Aluminum1.25" Hubcentric Wheel Spacers in Rear
            11. Energy Suspension Body Bushings (9.4102R)
            12. Energy Suspension Front Control Arm Bushings (4.3150R)
            13. Energy Suspension Lower Control Arm Bump Stops (9-9150R)
            14. Energy Suspension Rear Control Arm Bushings (4.3151R)
            15. Energy Suspension Transmission Mount (4.1104G)
            16. Energy Suspension Shock Bushings Front and Rear (9-8104R)
            17. Speedway Motors Tru-Coil 925# Front 1” Lowering Springs
            18. Speedway Motors Tru-Coil 225# Rear 1” Lowering Springs
            19. Moog Rear Coil Spring Insulator (K62032)
            20. KYB Gas Adjusts Shock Front ( KG5458)
            21. KYB Gas Adjusts Shocks Rear (KG5521)
            22. 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 Police 1” Rear Anti-Sway Bar
            23. 1998 1 1/8" Crown Victoria Front Sway Bar
            24. Moog Stabilizer Bar End Links (K8953)
            25. Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings (9.5170R)
            26. Curt V-5 2" Receiver Trailer Hitch (S-048)
            27. 1989 Mercury Colony Park Power Steering Cooler
            28. 1986 Ford Country Squire Fender Braces
            29. 1987 Lincoln Town Car Chassis Braces
            30. All New Brake Lines
            31. Hurst Line Loc (1745000K)

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post587970

This link here shows a good visual of my before (cargo coils in rear) then just the rear dropped with the speedway 225 and then finally the front with speedway 925

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post587981

This is a good before and after pic as well:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post587982
            Nice list, and good stance on it. That's the highest I'd like to be, considering I'd like to stay as close to the stock total tire diameter as possible. I do know my speedo reads slightly low right now because I'm running a 225/70/15 all the way around. But that will change when I find different wheels.

And you're running just the speedway coils to sit that height? I know you mention cargo coils, but that was before, correct?

Comment

Nice list, and good stance on it. That's the highest I'd like to be, considering I'd like to stay as close to the stock total tire diameter as possible. I do know my speedo reads slightly low right now because I'm running a 225/70/15 all the way around. But that will change when I find different wheels.

And you're running just the speedway coils to sit that height? I know you mention cargo coils, but that was before, correct?
              That is just the speedway springs and all new poly body bushings and poly spring isolators (in front) on the last set up. The poly body mount bushings do raise the car. Been the same way since. maybe it looks different now? dont know really.

Here is a video with a good (current as of earlier this year) stance. You be the judge if it settled some. I believe it did.

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I gotcha, that makes sense. I know you can select the spring rate. But what do you mean by load capacity? Like, the size of the actual spring itself? Wouldn't that change based on the spring rate, to a degree?
                This is my basic understanding, there are people on here who know WAY more about this than I do, (so smarter people please correct me if i'm wrong in anyway):

Load capacity is essentially how much weight the spring is designed to carry. The more coils, and the thicker they are, helps them carry more weight. If you had an 800lb spring, 11" high with 5 coils, it would compress farther, given the same amount of weight, compared to an 800lb, 11" spring, with 8 coils. If that makes sense. It will effect ride height, among other things. The picture of the spring in your link barely has any coils in it, so I'm leary. Here's what the speedway spring looks like: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-C...sku=252512-925
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                  This is my basic understanding, there are people on here who know WAY more about this than I do, (so smarter people please correct me if i'm wrong in anyway):

Load capacity is essentially how much weight the spring is designed to carry. The more coils, and the thicker they are, helps them carry more weight. If you had an 800lb spring, 11" high with 5 coils, it would compress farther, given the same amount of weight, compared to an 800lb, 11" spring, with 8 coils. If that makes sense. It will effect ride height, among other things. The picture of the spring in your link barely has any coils in it, so I'm leary. Here's what the speedway spring looks like: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-C...sku=252512-925
                  The best knowledge I have says that this makes sense to me as well. Maybe I need to re-read the sticky, and possibly some science type articles somewhere that explains how that works. Other than research, the only way to know would be to order some and see. But I'd need to find rears as well then.

Comment

Removing and installing front springs over and over again is going to make you want to drive off a cliff. (i did it 3 times, and i did!) If you like either 87gtvic's ride height, or mine, the speedways are a cheap, proven method. Cutting 1/2 a coil off a spring is also no big deal, especially with beefed up springs. It's when you go crazy chopping off multiple coils on stock springs that you'll lower the load capacity, while increasing the spring rate, and make everything terrible, haha.

If you really want to SLAM your ride, it can be done, but it's going to start to get expensive
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I'm also on my third set of front springs. Went back to stock. I don't want it lower, ripped a sidewall out of a tire when it sat about an inch below stock and that was enough of that. Lincoln fenders and trim do not play well with lowered suspension.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not seeing this coil logic. An 800lb/in spring is the rating no matter how many wraps it has. 800lbs will load it down 1" each additional 800lbs will load the spring 1" more inch. 5 or 8 coils wraps doesn't matter, these are a constant rate. Progressive spring rates are a whole different ball of wax.

Comment

I don't know what I'm talking about but I just did a crapload of frenzied spring research on fronts this morning for the wagon project. When you're looking at the spring load rate on moog's site, it tells you the maximum load bearing weight for the spring (and has a huge disclaimer about DO NOT EXCEED VEHICLE LOAD RATING, etc). So I don't think it's 800lbs=1" compression. Look at the Moog 80090 here: https://www.moog-suspension-parts.co...il_springs.asp I settled on these because they were cheaper on Amazon that RockAuto, they were in stock, and I have Cargo Coil CC8819 ordered for the rears. They tell you the free height vs installed height. So with a bunch of comparison between the moog sedan, wagon, hpp, & p71 spring rates and installed heights for model numbers I got here http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...se-Read-First! the regular front replacement moog springs say they have an installed height of like 11.5", so those police rate+10 fronts I got should be the correct pigtail ends, size, width, height, and spring rate, but it says the car will more or less sit 11.75", if I understand properly. 1/4" raise on the front end isn't going to matter much when the rear cargo coils pop the booty on the wagon a bit as well. I know this can change as the wagon gets loaded down, BUT the CC819s are a 200 rate spring (even though variable rate means they squish then level/firm up). I'm too lazy to look up the height difference right this second.
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

800 lb/in spring rate means 800 pounds to compress the spring 1". The thing to keep in mind is that is directly at the spring. The spring sits roughly half of the way between the pivot point and the centerline of the wheel so compressing the spring by 1" makes a lot more than 1" of difference in wheel travel.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did end up going with the speedway springs, after doing MORE research around the web of experiences with these being lowered more that that. Judge me all you want for my 'incorrect' spring rate choices of 1000 lb/in for the fronts and 300 lb/in for the rears. I believe it will achieve my desire from the springs. OF course, improved sway bars (front and add one in the rear eventually), along with new bushings all around and a wider wheel/tire setup.

I will report back my experience with the heavier springs.

Comment

I know nothing about the springs. I picked up mine used off of another members wagon! Hope it works out well for you and curious how it will look.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X