No announcement yet.

09 P71 radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When looking at a meter, stay away from the "electricians" stuff as that is geared to AC and higher voltages (ie: your 200v and 600v scales on the Klein) as Sly mentioned, lower scale voltages let you be more precise, and if you have to measure micro volts when doing fuse voltage drop tests you pretty much require a very low scale to take those readings.
    Same is true for current clamp meters you find in the same aisle in Home Despot is useless to you as most don't do low DC current, again, these are for electricians who are dealing in amps, and don't care much beyond a half amp resolution if even that.

As Sly alludes to, a Harbor Freight DMM will be more usefull to you around a car. But I don't think I'd particularily trust it around house AC though. But hey, more meters the merrier. Between Sly and myself, we probably own more meters in a variety of flavors than the entire stock of meters at your local home depot, different tasks, different tools.

Comment

Noted. I have a RadioShack meter somewhere but I stopped using it because it uses a strange battery. But I do have a local harbor freight I could grab another meter at. Maybe an analog one too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I actually only have 5 meters. An old WaveTek my dad gave me that I use for most stuff, an analog Archer Kit I assembled in high school, one of those disposable HF $6 I use when my hands are really grimy from working on the car, that clamp meter, and an old Simpson that collects dust on a shelf and looks good (works fine but is missing the battery cover on the back).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X