PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 09 P71 radio

yeah... alternator (voltage regulator) is bad if there's that much AC coming out. That's not good for any of the electronics in the car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Iím hoping thatís the root cause of the battery draining issue too. I have a spare alternator in my pile o parts Iíll try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the saga continues... I had a spare Denso 6g alternator stashed away for my 07 gt but since that car is sitting I thought Iíd swap it on my vic. Theyíre pretty much identical so it was easy. I put my multimeter on it, 14.3v at cold idle even when revving. I set it to ac and... 31.1v! Iím pissing because I wasted my time swapping the damn alternator for no reason. Iím convinced itís the meter, thereís no way both read the same thing. Maybe thatís also why there was no drain to be found on any of my circuits. The only way I found the original drain was putting the meter in line with the battery, checking the fuses one by one with the meter didnít do anything. Needless to say, I will be swapping it out of a new meter and trying again. Iím going to leave the battery hooked up right now but Iíll check the voltage when I get home later tonight.

On a side note, apparently there is a shortage of battery cutoff switches. I went to 3 auto part stores yesterday and none had a single one. The guy at the register said the manufacturer has been shut down until a week or so ago. I have one somewhere but of course when I really need it it goes missing. Anyway, I donít know how true that is but it seems to be the case in my area.

I second the meter being faulty. Iíve seen many guys in my line of work use those Klein meters only to get strange readings resulting in frustration. They calm down after I hand them my fluke. Not saying you need to use a fluke just something other than Klein.

+1 bad meter. Use the lower (20V 2V) AC settings and see if those work. My experience with meters is that they usually don't break all settings, but just one here or there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I was thinking the same thing, Iíll swing by Home Depot tomorrow to grab another one before work. Also it only has 200v and 600v ac scales for some strange reason. Iím a little annoyed by all of this right now and work isnít making it any better.

wow... even the Harbor Freight almost POS DMM (the $23 one - the $6 one is no different) has more AC settings than that.

I let the car sit from yesterday at about noon to this morning and sure enough it started right up. I donít know if it was the alternator or what, thatís the only thing I did so Iím at a loss but it seems to be fixed.

If one of the rectifier diodes is shorted, it'll draw current when the car is off and drain out the battery. I got a clamp meter specifically for testing for this problem (ExTech MA220) so I could just clamp over the charge cable and see if there was current when the car was off. I've found 4 bad alternators that way so far. One was pulling 5 amps when off too. That one would drain the battery in about 2.5 hours. One was only pulling half an amp. That would would drain a battery over night.

Iím a novice with electronics, thatís the only reason I didnít get a better meter but they do look cool lol. Iíll get a better one.

When looking at a meter, stay away from the "electricians" stuff as that is geared to AC and higher voltages (ie: your 200v and 600v scales on the Klein) as Sly mentioned, lower scale voltages let you be more precise, and if you have to measure micro volts when doing fuse voltage drop tests you pretty much require a very low scale to take those readings.
    Same is true for current clamp meters you find in the same aisle in Home Despot is useless to you as most don't do low DC current, again, these are for electricians who are dealing in amps, and don't care much beyond a half amp resolution if even that.

As Sly alludes to, a Harbor Freight DMM will be more usefull to you around a car. But I don't think I'd particularily trust it around house AC though. But hey, more meters the merrier. Between Sly and myself, we probably own more meters in a variety of flavors than the entire stock of meters at your local home depot, different tasks, different tools.

Noted. I have a RadioShack meter somewhere but I stopped using it because it uses a strange battery. But I do have a local harbor freight I could grab another meter at. Maybe an analog one too.

I actually only have 5 meters. An old WaveTek my dad gave me that I use for most stuff, an analog Archer Kit I assembled in high school, one of those disposable HF $6 I use when my hands are really grimy from working on the car, that clamp meter, and an old Simpson that collects dust on a shelf and looks good (works fine but is missing the battery cover on the back).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12