AOD with no Reverse, 2nd, or OD Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD with no Reverse, 2nd, or OD Gear

So my roommate and I went and got some bookcases, and to make it easier, I was trying to back the car into the driveway, but our driveway was has a bit of a curb lip. So I gave it some gas, it made a pop noise and neutral’d out.

Took it for a quick test drive and it’s now missing 2nd and OD along with Reverse.

Any ideas and should I now be prepping to get another transmission for the car?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Broke the input shaft. You'll have to pull the trans & converter & hope you can fish he broken stump out of the pump with a magnet or it falls out easily if you stand it on end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang Eddie View Post
      Broke the input shaft. You'll have to pull the trans & converter & hope you can fish he broken stump out of the pump with a magnet or it falls out easily if you stand it on end.

Not what I want to hear, but I figured something went very wrong all at once. I could also argue the AOD holds back the car the way it is right now, and maybe a manual swap might be worth it, considering how much this car has been apart, what’s one more time gonna hurt?

Might steer this conversation toward that topic, and I guess I’ll need to go get the ‘97 since the ‘87 ain’t going anywhere except where the repair work will be done!

My Cars:
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I don't know much here definitively, but will say: my initial thought was also that the direct drive/lockup input shaft is broken.

After further reflection though...wouldn't there still be second gear and reverse if that happened? I'd expect to see 3 and 4 disappear together at the same time if the direct drive input shaft broke, for sure, but not 2 and R...am I missing something?

The circumstances of how it broke...I'm not even sure how the necessary force got applied to that part if that's what happened. Curious to see what comes of this.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
          I don't know much here definitively, but will say: my initial thought was also that the direct drive/lockup input shaft is broken.

After further reflection though...wouldn't there still be second gear and reverse if that happened? I'd expect to see 3 and 4 disappear together at the same time if the direct drive input shaft broke, for sure, but not 2 and R...am I missing something?

The circumstances of how it broke...I'm not even sure how the necessary force got applied to that part if that's what happened. Curious to see what comes of this.
          Well Nick tells me that this transmission might be covered by the original rebuilder. He's gonna call them on Monday and let me know after then, so maybe I'll just shelve that manual idea since warranty repair is probably cheaper (even if it's not as fun).

Something definitely popped when it failed. Lost engine braking in first, and it holds first up to about 2500 RPM which gets to about 25-28 MPH, then goes to third. Attempting to leave the shifter selector in OD results in it neutraling out when it tries to shift. It will at least move and maintain speed in the D selection.

My Cars:

Comment

if you have third I'm pretty sure you didn't lose the direct shaft. Have to dig out the manuals to see what they say though. Pretty sure that doesn't supply power to reverse either. That only feeds the direct clutch which is engaged in 3 and 4.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think second drives reverse... so loss of second and reverse sounds like something related to second gear. Loss of OD could be related, but may just be broken OD band. Maybe something (snap ring) snapped and took out something else in the process?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Didn't read the op correct thought he said he was missing 3rd & od my bad. When I broke the input in mine that's what was missing. Drove it right in the shop I was working at, pulled the trans & fixed it the same day so I don't think I put it in reverse so I can't say for sure reverse was not working. It was also a decade+ ago when this happened so my memory is not fresh.

Comment

So Nick's buddy says the sun shell is the failure point. Reading around online seems to back that up as sun shell failure will result in reverse, 2nd, and OD failing in the AOD/AOD-E and 4R70W family transmissions.

Like I said before, now we wait to figure out what route will be taken.

My Cars:

Comment

Fun. /sarcasm

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Common problem for a 4l60E, did not know that was a thing for an AOD family trans.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I've not heard it being a common issue.

Comment

At least the full size trucks like my Yukon it seems to be a common issue. A quick Google search when I lost reverse in 2014(15?) seemed to be all correctly pointing to the sun shell.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I did mean in the AOD... but yeah... 4l60 is notorious for being made of glass.

Comment

700R4 became 4L60 then 4L60E, no? Everyone rags on the 700R4 but the one in my Fireturd is going strong after all these 31 years and 118k of hard life. Even I'm not easy on it, I'm probably easier than my pops was but it's a fun car so hard not to stab the go pedal. It'll be getting it's second filter change next year. Dad sure as hell didn't maintain it.

Probably just the application, guess I'd never want a truck, especially a 4x4, with a 4L60 in it. 4L80 if I had to go slushbox. Don't think I've ever owned an automatic truck though.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X