X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sly View Post
    I've not heard it being a common issue.
    Gotcha, I'm good at misunderstanding.

Derek, that's also my basic understanding of the family progression for that trans.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      700R4 became 4L60 then 4L60E, no? Everyone rags on the 700R4 but the one in my Fireturd is going strong after all these 31 years and 118k of hard life. Even I'm not easy on it, I'm probably easier than my pops was but it's a fun car so hard not to stab the go pedal. It'll be getting it's second filter change next year. Dad sure as hell didn't maintain it.

Probably just the application, guess I'd never want a truck, especially a 4x4, with a 4L60 in it. 4L80 if I had to go slushbox. Don't think I've ever owned an automatic truck though.
      sure thats not a 200R4? Thats what most of the cars got.

Sun shell broke in my S10's 4L60E. Snapped backing out of the driveway. When rebuilt with the upgraded parts its plenty durable but the early stock parts were a bit shite.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Definitely the 700R4.

Also, it looks like I'm not good at quote replying to the correct post, LOL. That quote was supposed to be of post #14 not #12.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Engine braking in manual seconds is achieved by applying the overdrive band. Engine braking in 1st is with the reverse band.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            Definitely the 700R4.

Also, it looks like I'm not good at quote replying to the correct post, LOL. That quote was supposed to be of post #14 not #12.
            Figured as much.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              sure thats not a 200R4? Thats what most of the cars got.

Sun shell broke in my S10's 4L60E. Snapped backing out of the driveway. When rebuilt with the upgraded parts its plenty durable but the early stock parts were a bit shite.
              Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
              Definitely the 700R4...
              Yep, 200+500R4. I think the Chevys/Buicks/Caddyshacks got the 200 for as long as GM could dump them on people.

Wow, that's literally a tough break on your S10's trans. I just hate how autos can seemingly fail with no warning like that. At least with manuals, there is usually an audible warning.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

that was like 15 years ago, nothing recent. Only warning I got was a funky hitch backing up. Drove around the block slowly and it went Ping! Pulled the pan and there were things that shouldn't have been in there. Put it back together and it lasted another couple thousand miles shredding itself to pieces. Lasted just long enough to fix the Towncar, which had been initially purchased to drive while I saved money to fix the S10. Ended up putting an engine and trans in that before the truck got fixed.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

OOo. Pics of the carnage? Switched insurance on the garage queens and to Haggerty and that came with a free subscription to Motortrend. Watched David Free-burger grenade a C6 or something on one of those old Econoline trucks, was spectacular.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                  X