Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel system goodness.

No good!

look at this fuel pump hanger assembly. it's an airtex, actually both of them are the same part number. the gas in the 89 grand marquis was about 4-5 yrs old, the car was parked in 2015 iirc. No idea when the 88 grand marquis was parked.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Yikes. I just put an Airtex complete hanger in my '86, so will have to monitor it. FWIW the Airtex parts have a lifetime warranty, so if you can show proof of purchase for one of them, that may be good enough to get a replacement for the other.

I am not 100% sure but I believe the splitting effect is consistent with non-ethanol-compatible rubber. I think that's a large scale version of what happens to the insides of old small engine fuel lines. Presumably, new-production parts for all of the last 10 (maybe 20 at this point) years at least should be completely ethanol-safe, but this is concerning.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

This makes me feel better about spending money on non ethanol fuel and fuel stabilizer on my stuff that isn’t driven regularly. Several of my vehicles get about two tanks of gas a year.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

the 88 colony park had about 11 gallons of fuel in the tank so that pump assy was submerged. the 89 colony park parts car had about 5.5 gallons of fuel in the tank

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          This makes me feel better about spending money on non ethanol fuel and fuel stabilizer on my stuff that isn’t driven regularly. Several of my vehicles get about two tanks of gas a year.
          same. i fill both tanks on the 89 f-250 once a year with ethanol free fuel. the 88 colony park came from arizona, i think jay got it in 2015 or 2016. no idea how long it sat out there with 3/4 tank of fuel. the engine was locked up tight, many signs of cooling system problems, someone even used a pvc pipe fitting to glue the overflow tank shut lol.

Comment

When the ethanol fuel thing happened a lot of boats had fuel lines disintegrate in a similar manner. The rubber crumbled inside and clogged filters and carbs. Carb parts and fuel pumps with rubber diaphragms also disintegrated. Curious how old that fuel pump assembly was.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow. That is terrible. Hidden dangers.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I put a Spectre pump in the '86 CV. I know it's a different brand, but since that car will only be driven in good weather, this makes me think that I will have to monitor the fuel pump here and there

Comment

Working...
                X