302 dipstick markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 dipstick markings

Since I have to have a shop do oil changes instead of doing them myself, I check the work the best I can when I get home. The 90 CV has a issue with the dipstick. It has part number E8AE6750BA. That is the same number as on my 89 Lincolns with the 302.
    With the Lincolns, the oil level is always correct. at the full mark with 5 quarts. With the CV with 5 quarts, the dipstick shows over full up to the F on the word "Full". This would indicate that the front sump was not drained, and the engine overfilled. Common mistake.
    I had the oil changed yesterday at the dealer. Two experienced mechanics did the work. The oil level was about a quart high based upon the dipstick reading. I called them and questioned what happened. The person I talked with personally checked the other person's work, both sumps were drained. The mechanic I talked with said there was a Ford TSB many years ago regarding the dipstick levels. A new dipstick was made that corrected the problem. These are my questions :
    1. Anyone here know anything about this issue and the TSB ?
    2. What is the part number of the replacement dipstick ? I will be talking with Ford on this.
    3. Does anyone have the proper dipstick and would want to part with it ?
    4. Wondering what other models have this problem. Maybe the police model needs a different dipstick. Mine does have a oil cooler which should not make a difference during a oil change. If anything, it would need more oil.

The TSB essentially followed along with stating the dipsticks weren't marked correctly, resulting in erratic readings.

The "repair" method was to drain all the old oil from both sumps, then add four quarts of oil, fire the car up, and idle it for about two minutes, then shut it down and let it sit a few minutes. Wherever the oil hit on the bottom of the dipstick was to be scribed on the stick. Then the final quart should be added, and wherever the top of the read it should be scribed there too. The area between the two scribes becomes the new "safe" area.

Essentially after doing that, you ignore the factory stamping on the dipstick.

The issue affected several engine lines. I've seen the "re-scribing" done on a '86 2.9 Ranger personally, so it's certainly a thing.

Also, even the service manual shows a wider variance than what's factory marked (assuming your stick isn't so grossly off it doesn't matter):
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 11-12-2020, 12:53 AM.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The picture you posted is exactly where mine is. If the picture is in the shop manual, I plan to copy and attach it in the engine bay. So the question left is there a replacement dipstick available or just the modification ? Thanks

Comment

The dipsticks in both my 88 and 90 were wrong - sounds similar to yours and what KW posted.

I pulled one from my 87 parts car before I sold it. It’s marked correctly, with the safe range ending at the same place but going higher on the stick. It has an E7 part number.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I had a wrong one at some point, came out of an unremembered junkyard wagon. I have since replaced the stick and tube with NOS Ford stuff and it reads properly.

80-89 manual says E8AZ-6750-C for all 86-89. Note says "E8AE-BA replaces E6AE-BB and E7AE-BA".

The Z usually indicates replacement parts group, so what came from the factory probably ended in E for Engine group.

Dipstick tube for 86-89 is E8AZ-6754-B

this manual was published in 1993, so I expect if there were any further changes on those parts after 1988 it would list a later part number.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X