PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 05 Grand Marq GS

Default 05 Grand Marq GS

Picked this up for a nice daily/winter beater to keep my new Super Duty out of the snow.

Drove out to Rochester for it, one owner car (older folks), driven down to Florida every winter so it's rust free. They had all the original brochures, window sticker, ect...
    124k, silver birch with charcoal interior. Just a base model GS, nothing special. New battery and four new tires on it, the car only went 4k in the last 5 years.

Gave it some love with the buffer today, cleaned up really nice. Had a bunch of scratches, from hitting various things I'm sure. Interior is in great condition, just gave it a quick wipe down.
    Threw on my spare Marauder wheels, which made it look a lot less awful. Looks like it's gonna be in the 50's for a while still, so I can run them for a few weeks at least.

Saved the 3.27 rear from a 04 Sport I parted out/scrapped, it already had a Trac-lok added to it, will toss some new clutches in it and swap the whole rear end over eventually.
    Have a nice set of dual's with magnaflow's off my parts Marauder I'll throw on. Other than that, adding a hitch, and a MZT, I'll probably just leave it alone and drive it.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

needs the Marauder grille installed.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

Very nice. Looks to nice to be a winter beater. You going to under coat it ?

I am still impressed the with MPG these were rated. Dealer really overcharged for that full size spare. I would have ordered it, too. Gotta have my full size spare. Especially if you are getting the traction lock installed.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice!!! Did you paint the underside; or did it come like that?

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    That is just what rust free cars look like.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    needs the Marauder grille installed.
    I might do a paint matched grille and Marauder headlights/corners, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Very nice. Looks to nice to be a winter beater. You going to under coat it ?
    It's nice, but I'm past the point in my life of driving junk in the winter., I want something at lease presentable. It will be thoroughly fluid filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I am still impressed the with MPG these were rated. Dealer really overcharged for that full size spare. I would have ordered it, too. Gotta have my full size spare. Especially if you are getting the traction lock installed.
    Love my limited slip's, a necessity in winter IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    That is just what rust free cars look like.
    Like Dave said, just that clean underneath. I will not buy a car with any amount of rust on it.

100% legally on the road and inspected today!

Updates!

Pulled the exhaust off my frame donor parts Marauder. Nothing super special, magnaflow's, and legit 3" res delete Meg's tips.

Of course the entire system was fully welded, H pipe to tip, and I didn't have the heart to cut it apart, so I dropped the axle down and pulled it off in one go.
    And of course, that meant installation went the same way. A smart man would have waited until he was swapping the entire rear end over to his 3.27 rear to do the exhaust. A smart man I am not; I keep buying panthers.

So while I left the peg leg 2.73 in there for now, I at least added a few goodies, cargo coils, KYB's, and a (not pictured) Marauder rear sway bar.

After that, a very thorough Fluid Film application was in order. I went all out, pulled the rocker covers, pulled the body plugs, spayed every hole every which way.

And the finished result. I'm not a huge fan of the "Bumper Tuck", but I had to give it one in order for the tips too clear (and they just barely do)

The exhaust is shockingly quiet, the four cats really quiet it down I guess. It has a very mellow deep sound, it's honestly perfect for what I'm after. My Marauder is loud as hell, so this quiet car is nice for a change.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

I hear you on getting tired of driving crap in the winter. I could reach through the rust hole in my driver door and unlock it on my previous winter ride. I got 8 winters out of it though.

And an expensive new truck vs a cheap but very clean panther? Yeah, not hard to sacrifice the cheaper vehicle to the salt.

Looks to be the same color as my '98, but with a proper top. I installed cargo coils on my ride as well, I tend to haul too much crap not to.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

It really looks good.

Antenna on the p..side quarter panel?
    ~David~

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Updates! Pulled the exhaust off my frame donor parts Marauder.
    The exhaust is shockingly quiet, the four cats really quiet it down I guess. It has a very mellow deep sound, it's honestly perfect for what I'm after. My Marauder is loud as hell, so this quiet car is nice for a change.
    Interesting that the mufflers in the system you pulled are offset/offset (stock are offset/center). That is one of my concerns when I build the exhaust for my MGM; since I am using mufflers that were intended for the '86 CV. When I first did the dual exhaust on the CV and heard how quiet it was; I was sold on quiet exhaust systems. I hope to achieve that with my MGM.

fomoco panthers !

Nice to see you are taking take of your winter driver. Doing some practical mods too. Very nice. So many people get a winter beater and run it into the ground.

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    It really looks good.

Antenna on the p..side quarter panel?
    An 05 exclusive thing. Along with the first year of DBW with the old gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
    An ‘05 exclusive thing. Along with the first year of DBW with the old gauges.
    Thanks for the information.

DBW...drive by wire right?
    ~David~

I post a lot...

Yes