Recommendations for Stall Speed on Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for Stall Speed on Torque Converter

Essentially as the title states, what’s roughly the best estimate for a regularly driven car with the HO setup? I’ve seen numbers as high as 3000, which sounds like it’ll hurt economy even more than normal.

I know the factory AOD converter stalls around 1600-1800, and makes the car feel numb, but I expected that. Since mine has to come out, now is a good time to try and rectify that.

Does a 2200-2500 stall converter sound adequate in a car our weight, or do I need to shoot a touch higher? I’d like to keep a lock up converter for fuel economy, but I don’t want to also wind up in a situation where the shift from 2-3 breaks the direct input shaft under WOT conditions.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

The HO cam gets started around 2500rpm, so i think you are right in the ballpark with a 2200-2500 stall converter. Since it's not just a race car, i personally wouldn't go above that. Unless you got stuck with the short straw, your input shaft should be just fine with a stock HO motor.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

2500 is about right for an HO cam. No point in making it much higher, you'd just be wasting power.

Something that I found really made a difference to extend the low rpm torque was a ported lower intake. I used a Holley SystemMax 1 but its basically the same as a ported stock lower. Uses the stock upper intake. It evens out the airflow into the cylinders and made a much bigger difference on an otherwise dead stock HO than I'd have ever believed. You may get similar results out of a stock Explorer intake, I don't know.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks y'all for confirming on that.

Now I see there's plenty of options out there. Obviously I'm not gonna shoot for some eBay special to figure out how quick it doesn't work.

Any thoughts on this? https://www.transdepot.net/tdaod2500lu

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

That was one i was looking at too. The transdepo in general doesnt have good reviews on its transmissions...however IDK how that compares to the quality of its parts. It is nice that it is brazed (i see a lot of B&M's are not)
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that the HO motor doesn’t make a ton of power, so you will probably be at the lower end of the stall for that
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              That was one i was looking at too. The transdepo in general doesnt have good reviews on its transmissions...however IDK how that compares to the quality of its parts. It is nice that it is brazed (i see a lot of B&M's are not)
              Yeah, it took some hunting to get some info on the people themselves, but couldn’t find much on their converters.

Someone on the CVN Discord pointed me towards Roadrunner Converters. I picked up their 2200-2600 Stall Converter instead. Seems they have pretty favorable reviews all around. They also have higher stall 10” models for AOD, but I figure I’ll be okay with one that’s getting onto the power band, even if it’s at the threshold.

My Cars:

Comment

just make sure you match it with your input shaft config. Need the 2 shaft setup unless the trans has been modified. If you're going to a non-lockup type you'll want more trans cooler too. That page doesn't give quite enough info to know exactly what it is, but if you talk to the guys that sell it they ought to know what you're talking about. For a street / DD type car I'd probably retain the lockup.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                  Yeah, it took some hunting to get some info on the people themselves, but couldn’t find much on their converters.

Someone on the CVN Discord pointed me towards Roadrunner Converters. I picked up their 2200-2600 Stall Converter instead. Seems they have pretty favorable reviews all around. They also have higher stall 10” models for AOD, but I figure I’ll be okay with one that’s getting onto the power band, even if it’s at the threshold.
                  The Roadrunner is certainly affordable- but almost no info included with it. If you are able to find anything more about it, it would certainly help
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I guess I'll know whenever it shows up. I'll look and see if it has the three splined sections inside compared to the non-locker two spline ones.

Either I have made a timely (and costly) ordering mistake, or the correct option I'm needing.

My Cars:

Comment

Yeah if it comes with all the info on a paper, and you can post it up, i'd greatly appreciate it! I'm currently leaning towards this converter: http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...d-aod-p-1.html
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        Yeah if it comes with all the info on a paper, and you can post it up, i'd greatly appreciate it! I'm currently leaning towards this converter: http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/...d-aod-p-1.html
                        Well the converter arrived today. Outside of arriving with my invoice and a sticker, there was no specification paperwork.

I count three splined sections, so I assume it to be a lockup unit:

My Cars:

Comment

Not neccesarily. Its designed to work with the stock shaft, but it could have both sets of splines connected to the turbine rather than the outer to the turbine and the inner to the shell like stock. If you poke the inner shaft in there it should be easy enough to figure it out. The turbine you would be able to rotate without turning the whole shell, if its connected to the shell you won't be able to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Not neccesarily. Its designed to work with the stock shaft, but it could have both sets of splines connected to the turbine rather than the outer to the turbine and the inner to the shell like stock. If you poke the inner shaft in there it should be easy enough to figure it out. The turbine you would be able to rotate without turning the whole shell, if its connected to the shell you won't be able to do that.
                            I really couldn't "turn" anything as it sits, however I could prod the large outer splined area, and it moved a little, same with the middle section. The small splined area wouldn't move and seemed to be separate from the middle section.

My Cars:

Comment

sounds like a lockup then.

Comment

Working...
                              X