No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Stall Speed on Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured it would be worthwhile to give this thread a bump with just some collected driving data on the Roadrunner converter.

So the unit is indeed a lockup unit that will fit on a stock input shaft. Particularly nice if you want the extra stall speed in 1st and 2nd, but would like to retain lockup for economy in 3rd and 4th. Mine performs within the advertised stall speed (2200-2600) and will flash stall around 2500 RPM. I also did a brake stall test, loaded it up to 2500 RPM, and let it rip while keeping the selector in 1st. Engine speed jumped to about 3000 RPM, and stayed there during wheelspin until it caught, then it continued to rev on up before I moved the selector into Drive.

I could never light up the tires before, but now it'll do a mean peg-leg burnout.

For typical, in-town driving, its been fine. It does most of its shifting around 1800-2000 RPM in 1st and 2nd, which is great starting from a stand. Only when I first got it from the shop was I finding it a little "un-fun" to get started since it would wind up a fair bit (2200-2300) before it really started going. Now that its been driven on a few hundred miles, it starts off fine with light or heavy throttle.

Hopefully it keeps working well. So far, I have no standing complaints with this one, even despite the limited information on their website.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

That is great news! Glad you are enjoying it

Comment

Good information! Odd that it had to "break in" to start working how you'd expect. I wonder what changed? Perhaps there was an air pocket trapped in it that got burped out
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Good information! Odd that it had to "break in" to start working how you'd expect. I wonder what changed? Perhaps there was an air pocket trapped in it that got burped out
          No idea. Initially it sounded like someone unfamiliar driving manual riding the hell out of a clutch. I already expected more RPM needed to get started, but it really needed some. Originally I was starting at like 40-50% throttle to actually get going with traffic, but now I can drive it normally as I have before without needing to call for more accelerator.

Having no experience with any other brands or driving anything else with a higher-than-stock-stall torque converter, I don't have much to compare it to for a new out of the box one. I had no idea if there was a break-in period on a converter.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

It just takes some getting used to

Comment

Working...
            X