Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
    Thanks. It's definitely a 34-year-old daily driver, though. The pictures don't show it, but the paint is maybe a five foot job, and there are plenty of creaks and rattles on the interior that I need to hunt down. The car was cheap enough and dinged up enough that I don't have to worry about sullying some perfect specimen. Though the more time I put into this thing, the more dear to me it becomes. C'est la vie.
    And that's how it starts. With every oil change I did on my Mom's CV; I saw more things that I liked about that car. Before I knew it; I was mod'ing that car and planning for the future (which still hasn't happened LOL)

Comment

Thanks. It's definitely a 34-year-old daily driver, though. The pictures don't show it, but the paint is maybe a five foot job, and there are plenty of creaks and rattles on the interior that I need to hunt down. The car was cheap enough and dinged up enough that I don't have to worry about sullying some perfect specimen. Though the more time I put into this thing, the more dear to me it becomes. C'est la vie.

A '90 Town Car came into the yard in San Bernardino today. I'm thinking of heading down on Saturday to see whether I can grab the fan shroud/coolant overflow and the Lincoln logs. I'm pretty sure my current overflow tank leaks, and the exhaust leak somewhere up in the engine bay sounds like it's getting worse, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap both out. Though I can see the headers being more of a job to pull than I may be equipped for. Might also grab the intake tubing and air filter box. Were the '90 TCs mass air or speed density? I don't think I want a MAF sensor right now, and if it exists and can't be separated from the rest of the assembly then it might be more money than it's worth.
      The car is very photogenic.

You can grab the air intake and box and just leave the maf plugged in like mentioned above. I am unsure of how the town car inner fenders work. That may need to be swapped out for the air box to mount properly.

I been to a yard in San Bernardino a few years back. They had a 90/91 grand marquis that I poked around a bit on the wiring (I am from new york and the cali cars are mass air). In a yard close to Sun Valley I found a 90 town car and pulled it computer (for science for another member) and the coolant reservoir (as a spare for myself) as it was crystal clear brand new looking. Definitely has been replaced before.

If you come across a 90/91 Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis PLEASE pull the windshield washer reservoir (with pump and sensor) and a bit of the wiring harness for me and I will for sure take care of you. The one I came across had busted tabs. You can see it in the link below. It has been something I have been looking for for quite a while. In hindsight I should have grabbed it.

A post for reference: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post830101
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

PM sent

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1288635

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
          ....Couldn't you just run the box with the MAF?....The passenger side Lincoln log gave me the most trouble. There was some bracket or something that was a pain to get at the bolt(s?) up top. I got lucky and the cats were already disconnected.
          I could, I'm sure, use the MAF sensor, but it's an extra $46 for a part I don't currently need. Though it may be cheaper now than at any point down the road. I gave myself a strong incentive to not upgrade for power when I spent the summer polishing the upper intake, and if I can pull the Lincoln logs that'll be further reason to be content with what I have. And as for pulling it, I think the yard cuts off the cats when they come in, so that may make life a bit easier.

Re: David
          It looks like Packman may have you covered. But I do see a fair number of Boxes come through the area, so if there are other parts anyone needs I may be able to find them cheap.
          1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

It looks like Packman may have you covered. But I do see a fair number of Boxes come through the area, so if there are other parts anyone needs I may be able to find them cheap.
            Nah, mine is the wrong washer reservoir. It's similar to the one Dave is looking for; but it's from an aero; and the mounting is different along with the harness.

Comment

I could, I'm sure, use the MAF sensor, but it's an extra $46 for a part I don't currently need. Though it may be cheaper now than at any point down the road. I gave myself a strong incentive to not upgrade for power when I spent the summer polishing the upper intake, and if I can pull the Lincoln logs that'll be further reason to be content with what I have. And as for pulling it, I think the yard cuts off the cats when they come in, so that may make life a bit easier.

Originally posted by packman View Post
              Nah, mine is the wrong washer reservoir. It's similar to the one Dave is looking for; but it's from an aero; and the mounting is different along with the harness.
              Not the same.

What Jacob has (unsure of exact application):

and what I am looking for:

So please keep a look out for me.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

As much time as I spend at JYs I should know that about price. Price of air box with and without MAF is quite different.

+1 '90-'91 CV/MGM washer reservoir is unique. I wonder if a washer bottle from a '90-'91 CV/MGM would work better on your box TC. If that's the case, forget the '90 TC washer bottle and find one from a box CV/MGM.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I made it to the yard in San Bernardino yesterday, and despite a slightly later start than I would've liked I managed to pull most of what I was after. Unfortunately, I ran out of daylight and wasn't able to get to the yard in Fontana that had a '91 Grand Marquis. I'll keep my eye out, though, and I'm sure I'll find a good reservoir within the next six months. I might make another run Saturday after next, during the semi-annual power outage, if new cars show up.

Pulling the Lincoln logs went remarkably smoothly. After watching so many videos on freeing rusted header bolts, it never occurred to me that the one I was after would come off so willingly. In fact, considering how rusty my current headers are, I'm amazed at how intact these ones are. There's just a bit of rust on one of the studs. The hardest part of the whole operation was working around and getting rid of the smog pump piping on the passenger side. Not quite sure how I'll navigate that mess on a car I actually need to put back together.

I bit the bullet and picked up the MAF sensor. Don't think I'll switch over anytime soon, but it shouldn't hurt anything to just sit there.

The one thing I wasn't able to get was the inner fender. I monkeyed around removing various bolts for about 30 minutes before I realized I had no idea how it was secured, and therefore how it should come off. But the critical part was the newer coolant tank, which I can install even with the old coolant/washer tank in place. And the new washer reservoir bolts to the metal fender, so that too should be easy enough to secure. The only question is whether the air box can just rest where the old reservoirs sat or if it needs to be bolted down.

One final bonus was a pair of front floor mats. I bought a set last year off eBay from a Whale TC, but the newer ones seem to use a much thinner carpet. Hopefully these new (old) ones clean up alright, but at four bucks a mat I'm willing to gamble.

Comment

Nice score. Exhaust work must be much easier for rust free Western cars. Try that over on this end of the country and you wont have the same kinda luck.

I ran a maf in my LOPO for years where it was not in use. Will do a Speed density car no harm. I just tucked the pigtail into a neighboring harness and you would never know the difference. Cant comment on how it would fit. Id say you can rig something up to make it work unless it just physically does not fit with the existing inner fender.

Gosh I miss junkyarding....I especially miss junkyarding and seeing cars I was actually interested in taking parts off of. Gone are those days. Slim pickings or sure.

Whenever you can is quite alright. Been looking for years but am in no rush. I appreciate you keeping me in mind though.

P.S. I think everyone owns one of those miter boxes. lol
                    ~David~

Comment

Nice!

I ran the air box for at least a year, maybe a couple years, before I finally got around to bolting it down. Since I installed this in both '91s I already had the later inner fender and all the mount holes were there for the air box.

Finding the air box mounting studs is easy since all aero and whale panthers use them. The studs are all the same thread size/pitch, at least that I found, but the nuts were sometimes different size (wrench size, same thread size and pitch though.) The nuts on top usually come off easy, but the bottoms not so much (more exposed to elements). Free the top nut then jam nut the top nut to get the bottom nut free.

That washer reservoir might only bolt by the rear tab and the front may sit too far from the fender. Not a problem since that's how the rest of us do it. Since you have a (most likely California/MAF) '91 MGM at the other yard, that washer reservoir might fit better.
                      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-14-2021, 09:33 PM.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wow. Yeah, everything in that score looks minty. Envious over how easy it was to remove the manifolds. Need the blue wrench and creative language for that stuff over here.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Nice score. Exhaust work must be much easier for rust free Western cars. Try that over on this end of the country and you wont have the same kinda luck....Gosh I miss junkyarding....I especially miss junkyarding and seeing cars I was actually interested in taking parts off of. Gone are those days. Slim pickings or sure....
                          Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Wow. Yeah, everything in that score looks minty. Envious over how easy it was to remove the manifolds. Need the blue wrench and creative language for that stuff over here.
                          Yeah, I figure now is my chance to snag a lot of stuff for the car while we're still in the land of sunshine and fair weather. Because once my wife gets out of the Army, we're moving to southeastern Pennsylvania, where parts will probably be much harder to come by. And that move is coming this fall or winter....

I've been hesitant to install the new manifolds, if only because my old ones are considerably more crusty and I don't like the idea of potentially losing a stud in the head. That sounds like a bad time. But once it is off, I've got the full set of bolts/studs from the donor Town Car. What are the chances they could be reinstalled with the manifold? I understand standard practice is to use new fasteners, but these ones don't look too bad.

The gasket set I picked up from O'Reilly's had two options for the manifold to cat connection, a flat gasket and some kind of ring thing. Having only pulled parts off of a cat-less car, I'm not sure how the connection was made before, but I do know the flat gaskets are too small. Which is interesting, because the packaging said the gaskets were for a 5.0. At any rate, are there options for making this connection? I assume a gasket is necessary, but I also don't really understand what the ring gasket-thing is for and if I can use it.

Bolting up the washer reservoir will be like Vic said, only one point onto the fender. There are relays in the way, though, which will have to live somewhere else. Are these the same relays the live in the vacuum reservoir box on Aero TCs? I haven't looked at them enough yet to know whether the stock wiring would support that kind of move.

Comment

I very much doubt you'll have much trouble with the current manifolds, especially if your car has always been a Californian ride. I've got a shitty F150 that I'm on the fence about. It needs an exhaust from the manifold back, floor pans and misc stuff but is of course pretty rotten. My idea was to get lots of that stuff from a junkyard (Minus the floor pans) but I doubt I'd have much luck sourcing a good cat or exhaust, not to mention none of that stuff is going to want to cooperate..
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The flat exhaust gaskets are for between the pipes the cats are on and the h-pipe. If just doing the lincoln logs, you should not need to mess with that connection. The donut is for the exhaust manifold. Can’t recall if you use them with the Lincoln logs or not.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Took the manifolds off the heads on Saturday. They did indeed cooperate without much coaxing, and not a single snapped bolt. There were a couple threads, though, that had a good amount of rust fall out. Also, for some reason the Box TCs had no exhaust manifold gasket, but the '90 TC did?

Right now I'm hung up on the manifold-cat connection, which is a bit more crusty and harder to get to. I'm thinking it might be easier to unbolt the cats at the H pipe and back out the converter and old manifold together from below. The cat-H pipe bolts are probably just as rusted, but I can at least get more leverage on them from where they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X