No announcement yet.

Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if you could jack the engine up to remove the oil pan. Never did that either so someone will have to jump in to verify.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

many years ago I changed a rear main seal with the trans out. I R&R the trans to do the seal. I vaguely remember using a lisle main seal tool but it was over 20 yrs ago.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have done two 302s many years ago.One was a 75 Ford Granada, The other was a Crown Vic. I was able to do the job without pulling the motor. I did not have a rack to put the car on so I did not have much room to work. I know I used a engine hoist to raise the motor a little as I had to remove the dual sump oil pan.

Comment

oil pan gets you nowhere on a one piece seal engine, which is post-1982. Trans or engine comes out, flexplate comes off, then you can get to it.

Be absolutely sure it is in fact bad. Its rarely a problem, more often oil dumping down the back of the engine is the rear of the lower intake or valve cover gaskets. The one piece seal is very reliable.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

since I can't edit posts

if the oil pan is leaky, yank the engine and do the seal and the oil pan. Way less bother than fighting the pan while its in the car plus removing the transmission for access.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mostly curious as to the repair. The dealer told my friend he had a real main seal leak (nothing on the ground and not much mess under the engine). I think they wanted over $850 for the repair.

Comment

The trans is being pulled for a rebuild. I've only asked the shop to look at the rear main seal as a 'while you're in there' job. Valve covers were replaced with the blue Fel-Pro gaskets by the previous owner, and I did the lower intake and PCV myself two summers ago, so the top of the engine is nice and dry.

If I was only after the oil leak, $850 would be a pretty steep price to pay, but so would doing the job myself. And so I've lived with a little oil spot in the garage for the past year. Not a big deal to me, especially when we're renting. But it is nice to get things buttoned up when the opportunity presents itself, and now is one of those times.
                1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

while the trans is out it makes perfect sense to change or at least check it.

As for the 850 for a leak that isn't hitting the ground, big no on that one. I dislike puddles and adding oil between changes but I'm not doing a lot of work for something that isn't leaking enough to offend even my very limited tolerance.

Comment

while the trans is out it makes perfect sense to change or at least check it.

As for the 850 for a leak that isn't hitting the ground, big no on that one. I dislike puddles and adding oil between changes but I'm not doing a lot of work for something that isn't leaking enough to offend even my very limited tolerance.

Comment

Agreed! That was only an estimate my friend requested when his car was in for something else (while I was in the hospital and couldn't help him). He has NO intention of doing that repair unless something gets drastic.

Comment

I heard back from the trans shop and it looks like the Town Car will be getting a wide ratio gear set. I had asked them to price out both that and just a 2" overdrive band, and it looks like they went the 4R70W route for both, probably because that's what they already had on hand.

The manager told me they use a transgo junior kit to help with the late 1-2 shift from the wide ratio gears. Or at least that's what I understood. I had said I was looking for durability, not performance, when I dropped off the car. But we'll see how it drives when they get it back together. Hopefully it has a little more pep off the stop lights. Longevity will take longer to assess.

Comment

Off the line will feel like the rear gears are a good deal higher ration than they are. The 3.55L rear in the Mad Marquis (88 MGM) felt more like 3.73 or 4.10s off the line. 3rd and 4th though felt like normal... ie: no gut whatsoever.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

3 is the same ratio, 4 is slightly shallower but not enough to matter in a practical sense. I think its 0.67 vs 0.71 or something? Very slightly more RPM on the highway.

Comment

So a wide ration set actually has a higher highway rpm? I am sure you are correct but it seems counter intuitive.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes, the wide ratio OD is 0.7:1, which at 70 mph with a 3.27 rear end is an increase of 85 rpm. But I'm also gaining the 2" overdrive band, which I believe should make 4th robust enough that I won't have to care what gear it's in while driving around town.

I'm also headed back to the East Coast soon, where speed limits tend to be lower and the difference in cruising rpm will be smaller.

Comment

Working...
                                X