PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Prudence, my 87 Town Car

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

every time the horns have quit in mine its been the relay. I think I'm on relay #3 at this point. I probably average 3 uses per relay, but considering I've had the car for 18 years that likely means I use the horn every other year.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Mine have been good after my initial fiasco, fortunately. Although I still cringe a bit just before hitting the horn in anticipation of them not working or only hearing one note.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

The good news: The car has a working horn (it was the relay), rotated tires, fresh oil, and new junkyard power steering and transmission coolers. I also spruced up the wiring on the driver's side fender to account for the '90 Town Car fender/intake/vacuum reservoir situation.

Before, with the '90 TC intake and inner fender, but the stock relay mount just floating freely.

And after, with the trans cooler peeking out at the bottom of the image.

And for comparison's sake, a shot of the engine bay from January of 2020 when I first started working on it. It still makes the same power, but the top end is significantly less greasy and gross.

And the bad news: I may have, worst case, trashed my transmission, or at least the case. And I have to drive the car cross country in a week. When I hooked up the new return hard line from the cooler to the transmission, I think I may have cross threaded the connection at the trans. I snugged it up with a small adjustable wrench by hand, but when I started the car I had a large puddle right below the fitting, so it's definitely not sealing. What worries me is whether I trashed the threads in the case, and if so whether they can be repaired or I need a new case. One of the original quick connect fittings going into the radiator cooler is also leaking, but that's whatever.

I'm out of time to try to figure this out myself, so tomorrow morning I'll call around to shops in Barstow and Victorville to see who might have availability this week. I think USAA should cover a tow to Barstow, but if it has to be farther then that would be out of pocket. Hopefully it's a simple fix, or fixable. I can't really spend any energy this week stressing about the alternative, not with the movers coming and my wife and kid having to leave ahead of me.

so long as its not completely dicked, it can likely be re-tapped to fix the threads. I think its a straight thread though, so make sure they don't try and run a tapered pipe tap in there or it will never seal.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I got it into a transmission shop on Monday after calling a half dozen places. USAA Roadside Assistance covered the 72 mile tow, so that option was money well spent.

Today they were able to repair my handiwork and properly mount the return line. In the differences between the '87 and '89 fittings I had gotten confused, and never having done this before I assumed that the adapter from the case to the line was something only the quick connect style cars needed. I must've missed the adapter on the junkyard car. Anyway, you live and learn.

I've asked the shop to look at the output shaft seal and bushing as I still have a significant leak there. They'll hopefully have that taken care of Wednesday and I'll have the car back home before my wife leaves with our other car on Thursday.

Thinking back to previous slipping on cold starts, I asked them if they could also take a look at the valve body and at least clean things out. But they told me that issue was probably deeper in the trans and a full rebuild was the proper solution. Except the guy told me it was probably due to worn out seals around the pistons, and from my recollection watching AOD teardown videos, most of the pistons reside in the valve body.

So I don't fully understand their line of thinking, but if the transmission is at least (mostly) leak free, that's a little peace of mind.

yea they changed from a direct into the transmission quick connect to a flare fitting at some point. The flares use a pipe thread to flare adapter between the case and the line. flare fittings seal on the face of the tubing, the nut just holds the surfaces together. Pipe fittings actually seal on the threads.

there are the pistons (servos) that apply the clutches, then there are the pistons (valves) in the valve body that control fluid flow to them. Probably a case of you mean different parts with the same name.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516