No announcement yet.

Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah... it's 1st and 2nd that are lower in the wide ratio gears that makes it feel different. The wide ratio is between 2 and 3. Stock gears in the aod(e) are straight ratio.

AOD(e): 1st, 2.40:1; 2nd, 1.47:1; 3rd, 1.00:1; OD, 0.67:1; Reverse, 2.00:1.

4R70W: first gear, 2.84:1, second gear, 1.55:1, third gear, 1.00:1, overdrive, 0.70:1 and reverse, 2.32:1

The difference isn't much by the numbers, but when multiplied out, it did make a difference. Doing some math... 3.55 rear with the wide ratio first - you get 10.082:1. With the straight ratio gear you get 8.52:1. To get 10.082 with straight ratios you need 4.2:1 rear gears. So yeah... 1st with the 4R70W gears will feel more like having 4.10 gears in the rear than the 3.55 gears that were actually there. This is the one reason I wish I had a wide ratio trans in my 93. That first gear pull is fun.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah... it's 1st and 2nd that are lower in the wide ratio gears that makes it feel different. The wide ratio is between 2 and 3. Stock gears in the aod(e) are straight ratio.

AOD(e): 1st, 2.40:1; 2nd, 1.47:1; 3rd, 1.00:1; OD, 0.67:1; Reverse, 2.00:1.

4R70W: first gear, 2.84:1, second gear, 1.55:1, third gear, 1.00:1, overdrive, 0.70:1 and reverse, 2.32:1

The difference isn't much by the numbers, but when multiplied out, it did make a difference. Doing some math... 3.55 rear with the wide ratio first - you get 10.082:1. With the straight ratio gear you get 8.52:1. To get 10.082 with straight ratios you need 4.2:1 rear gears. So yeah... 1st with the 4R70W gears will feel more like having 4.10 gears in the rear than the 3.55 gears that were actually there. This is the one reason I wish I had a wide ratio trans in my 93. That first gear pull is fun.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Got the Marti Report last week:

But I thought I'd put together a report of my own. The Marti Report includes a good deal of fluff, or information that I don't find particularly interesting. It's also not the most aesthetically appealing. So I took from it what I found most relevant to my own car and combined it with the vehicle history available on the Orto app. Thanks to Tiggie (I think?) for mentioning Orto in another thread. Finally, I scoured dozens of Town Car listings online to find as many original window stickers as I could to try and piece together the original MSRP for my particular vehicle. I'm not 100% certain on the cost of the dual exhaust, auto dim mirror, or the digi dash, but otherwise I think the rest is accurate.

It appears that I'm the fifth owner, and the odometer has rolled over. I had figured out the Jacksonville DSO some time ago, but it never clicked that it was originally a Florida car. Between Florida and the Pacific Northwest it's no wonder there's rust inside the cabin. And boy was Florida a prime location for Town Cars, with the local DSO responsible for nearly 10% of all Town Cars made that year.

I have a few questions on the second owner/lessee's time. Who leases a five year old car and then puts on over 13,000 miles in six months? Was the lease only half a year, or did the dealer take the car back early for some reason, leading to it going up for auction?

I'm also interested, but not surprised, to see it was stolen, given how rough South Tacoma and Lakewood were and still are. That must've been when the ignition cylinder was replaced, as the ignition key has a black rubber Ford handle - no Lincoln decals.
        1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Yours was a very early '87 model much like my car was a very early '88. Boy, the digi dash and JBL audio system were spendy options. Interesting that for '87 there was an upcharge for leather interior. I'm pretty sure that for '88, it was a no cost option, a preference deal. I did not know you could get dual exhaust without the tow package. Now that I think of it, I do remember seeing sales videos of early Town Cars where it was an option.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Nice reports. Looks like she was loaded up.

I wonder if Marti can do the option breakdown for our cars like they can the 60's/70's cars, where you end up with a number 1 of 1 or something like that. I'm sure they have the data to do it, I just don't know if they have broken it down that far yet.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I like what you put together. Looks very official.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

An idea about the time and mileage on the lease. Livery companies lease vehicles as needed and put allot of miles on them in a short time. In those years, the full size (pre 1990) models were highly desired. A five year old Towncar would still look in style.
                As far a auctioning a leased vehicle. That was common then and extremely common today. Generally the dealer, if involved at all, is the middle man until it is sent to auction.
                One of my Lincolns was purchased in NY then sold at auction in Washington State. I bought it in WA.

Comment

Prudence, my 87 Town Car

An idea about the time and mileage on the lease. Livery companies lease vehicles as needed and put allot of miles on them in a short time. In those years, the full size (pre 1990) models were highly desired. A five year old Towncar would still look in style.
                  As far a auctioning a leased vehicle. That was common then and extremely common today. Generally the dealer, if involved at all, is the middle man until it is sent to auction.
                  One of my Lincolns was purchased in NY then sold at auction in Washington State. I bought it in WA.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    Yours was a very early '87 model much like my car was a very early '88. Boy, the digi dash and JBL audio system were spendy options. Interesting that for '87 there was an upcharge for leather interior. I'm pretty sure that for '88, it was a no cost option, a preference deal. I did not know you could get dual exhaust without the tow package. Now that I think of it, I do remember seeing sales videos of early Town Cars where it was an option.
                    Was there something about the first '87s still using the nylon timing chain? I thought I read something like that here previously, but I can't find it now.

Digi dash and JBL were spendy, but the priciest option I ran across was the moonroof. Looks like it ran about $1300 in '87. Packaged options could run higher - the Sail America Town Cars were a $2,456 upcharge - but you were getting a bundled deal that probably ran close to that cost anyway. The full length 'carriage roofs' could also burn a hole in your pocket. One in '89 would set you back $710. I'm not sure leather was a no charge option in '88, as I have a window sticker from '91 where it's going for an extra $570. By that time though the leather steering wheel had become a standard feature.

The dual exhaust is an interesting point. I don't see it listed as an option in the 1987 brochure, yet the dealer managed to order it without the rest of the tow package. A limited slip diff is listed, however, and ran $101 in '87. What exactly did the tow package include? Dual exhaust, wiring for a trailer, limited slip, and trans and PS coolers? I don't believe a hitch was actually part of the deal.

Originally posted by Tiggie
                    I wonder if Marti can do the option breakdown for our cars like they can the 60's/70's cars, where you end up with a number 1 of 1 or something like that. I'm sure they have the data to do it, I just don't know if they have broken it down that far yet.
                    I wonder if it's an issue of not having everything digitized yet. The labor involved in finding what makes your car unique would be the same regardless of model, but without a computer to help with the search it probably wouldn't make much business sense. And I guess if you're going to sink the initial cost of scanning a bunch of documents to be able to run those searches, you'll make your money back on Mustangs long before you'll ever recoup the costs of a Box Panther database. In the case of our cars though, it's a little silly to call out how many had the same engine/transmission codes for vehicles with only one of each to choose from. It's one of the irrelevant bits on there that make me feel like the report is a lesser value for us.

Originally posted by Mainemantom

This makes sense to me. Especially since it's a black on black car. When I bought the car I thought it was more or less a one owner vehicle. Turns out it's had quite a life across opposite ends of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC
                      I like what you put together. Looks very official.

Thank you. I really enjoy this sort of graphic design and typesetting work. And it's much easier to do while watching the kid than trying to turn a wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova:
                        "
                        Was there something about the first '87s still using the nylon timing chain? I thought I read something like that here previously, but I can't find it now.

Digi dash and JBL were spendy, but the priciest option I ran across was the moonroof. Looks like it ran about $1300 in '87. Packaged options could run higher - the Sail America Town Cars were a $2,456 upcharge - but you were getting a bundled deal that probably ran close to that cost anyway. The full length 'carriage roofs' could also burn a hole in your pocket. One in '89 would set you back $710. I'm not sure leather was a no charge option in '88, as I have a window sticker from '91 where it's going for an extra $570. By that time though the leather steering wheel had become a standard feature.

The dual exhaust is an interesting point. I don't see it listed as an option in the 1987 brochure, yet the dealer managed to order it without the rest of the tow package. A limited slip diff is listed, however, and ran $101 in '87. What exactly did the tow package include? Dual exhaust, wiring for a trailer, limited slip, and trans and PS coolers? I don't believe a hitch was actually part of the deal...
                        "

Hmm, I don't recall that, thought that was all dead by '86. Would be a nylon timing gear. I shudder to think of a nylon timing chain haha...

Jeebus, I've only seen maybe three that had a moonroof. I never cared for those anyway. Didn't realize the full rag top was so spendy, seems every Townie with wire wheels had 'em. Ashley's did, that was a good car. What was the "Sail America" package? The brochure I have show leather as a no cost option, but perhaps that was if you upgraded to the Signature Series or maybe even Cartier package. I'm not a fan of leather anyway, but do wish my car had the digital dash, auto dimming mirror, leather wrapped steering wheel and the JBL audio option from the factory. Tow package would've been nice too. Surprised not many cars were ordered with limited slip, wasn't an expensive option.. I added that, dual exhaust and the JBL option to my car. Compared to the truck I drive daily, I'm pleasantly surprised when I tear out of a corner and don't hear or feel the traction loss associated with wheel spin on the Townie. Car spends a lot of time on the expressway, so not sure I'd like to see what my MPG would be with 3.55's.

Comment

Whatever the story is on the gears/chain, my water pump is apparently leaking, so that and a timing chain job are on the horizon.

As for the roofs, wire spoke wheels were the most expensive option, so perhaps anyone who could shell out for those also had the cash for a rag top. Wire spokes were an extra $195 in '89, while lacy spokes were a no charge swap from turbines. But in '87 the wire wheel covers were standard for the Signature Series, and going to lacy spokes was an extra $137, which might've put actual wire wheels at over $300 above base.

The Sail America Edition was a package thrown on some Signatures in '87 in conjunction with a US victory in some sailing race called the America's Cup. They were all white with a blue carriage top, and white leather seats with blue piping. One was for sale near me when I was in the market for a Town Car. I might've bought it, but went down the all black route instead. The package ran $2456 new, which got you the carriage top, wire spoke wheels, a JBL system, leather steering wheel and seats, and some special decals. That seems like about a $300 premium over ordering the same options separately, or $300 for blue piping and a few badges. But my pricing information isn't complete, so maybe it was a deal.

Comment

Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
                            What exactly did the tow package include? Dual exhaust, wiring for a trailer, limited slip, and trans and PS coolers? I don't believe a hitch was actually part of the deal.

I wonder if it's an issue of not having everything digitized yet. The labor involved in finding what makes your car unique would be the same regardless of model, but without a computer to help with the search it probably wouldn't make much business sense. And I guess if you're going to sink the initial cost of scanning a bunch of documents to be able to run those searches, you'll make your money back on Mustangs long before you'll ever recoup the costs of a Box Panther database. In the case of our cars though, it's a little silly to call out how many had the same engine/transmission codes for vehicles with only one of each to choose from. It's one of the irrelevant bits on there that make me feel like the report is a lesser value for us.
                            Tow package varies slightly by year but here's the 1987 version:

That's from the Ford book, but it's similar to Lincoln in content. There is no order code for the dual exhaust on the Ford. I guess with Lincoln, you got it your way.

I think the "engine transmission oil cooler" is a typo. Would be just a transmission oil cooler.

I suspect you nailed it on the Marti breakdowns. Panther enthusiasts are a small but equally interesting group IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Bumper height adjustment for the sail package?? Those do look pretty swanky and come with most of the options I like on those cars. Although I'm not a fan of white interior..

Comment

I assume it says heavy-duty rear brakes (sedans) because they were given the wagon rear drums? Wonder what trailer towing suspension entailed? Different rear coil springs? Same for the heavy-duty flasher system - what could that be?

No idea what the bumper height adjustment is about. Perhaps it was an issue from the factory, but then why put it on the window sticker? I agree though, they were an attractive package. Though I'm sure the white leather will really show its age if not looked after.

Comment

Working...
                                X