PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 106
Prudence, my 87 Town Car - Page 21
PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Originally posted by Lutrova:
    "
    Was there something about the first '87s still using the nylon timing chain? I thought I read something like that here previously, but I can't find it now.

Digi dash and JBL were spendy, but the priciest option I ran across was the moonroof. Looks like it ran about $1300 in '87. Packaged options could run higher - the Sail America Town Cars were a $2,456 upcharge - but you were getting a bundled deal that probably ran close to that cost anyway. The full length 'carriage roofs' could also burn a hole in your pocket. One in '89 would set you back $710. I'm not sure leather was a no charge option in '88, as I have a window sticker from '91 where it's going for an extra $570. By that time though the leather steering wheel had become a standard feature.

The dual exhaust is an interesting point. I don't see it listed as an option in the 1987 brochure, yet the dealer managed to order it without the rest of the tow package. A limited slip diff is listed, however, and ran $101 in '87. What exactly did the tow package include? Dual exhaust, wiring for a trailer, limited slip, and trans and PS coolers? I don't believe a hitch was actually part of the deal...
    "

Hmm, I don't recall that, thought that was all dead by '86. Would be a nylon timing gear. I shudder to think of a nylon timing chain haha...

Jeebus, I've only seen maybe three that had a moonroof. I never cared for those anyway. Didn't realize the full rag top was so spendy, seems every Townie with wire wheels had 'em. Ashley's did, that was a good car. What was the "Sail America" package? The brochure I have show leather as a no cost option, but perhaps that was if you upgraded to the Signature Series or maybe even Cartier package. I'm not a fan of leather anyway, but do wish my car had the digital dash, auto dimming mirror, leather wrapped steering wheel and the JBL audio option from the factory. Tow package would've been nice too. Surprised not many cars were ordered with limited slip, wasn't an expensive option.. I added that, dual exhaust and the JBL option to my car. Compared to the truck I drive daily, I'm pleasantly surprised when I tear out of a corner and don't hear or feel the traction loss associated with wheel spin on the Townie. Car spends a lot of time on the expressway, so not sure I'd like to see what my MPG would be with 3.55's.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Whatever the story is on the gears/chain, my water pump is apparently leaking, so that and a timing chain job are on the horizon.

As for the roofs, wire spoke wheels were the most expensive option, so perhaps anyone who could shell out for those also had the cash for a rag top. Wire spokes were an extra $195 in '89, while lacy spokes were a no charge swap from turbines. But in '87 the wire wheel covers were standard for the Signature Series, and going to lacy spokes was an extra $137, which might've put actual wire wheels at over $300 above base.

The Sail America Edition was a package thrown on some Signatures in '87 in conjunction with a US victory in some sailing race called the America's Cup. They were all white with a blue carriage top, and white leather seats with blue piping. One was for sale near me when I was in the market for a Town Car. I might've bought it, but went down the all black route instead. The package ran $2456 new, which got you the carriage top, wire spoke wheels, a JBL system, leather steering wheel and seats, and some special decals. That seems like about a $300 premium over ordering the same options separately, or $300 for blue piping and a few badges. But my pricing information isn't complete, so maybe it was a deal.

Default Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    What exactly did the tow package include? Dual exhaust, wiring for a trailer, limited slip, and trans and PS coolers? I don't believe a hitch was actually part of the deal.

I wonder if it's an issue of not having everything digitized yet. The labor involved in finding what makes your car unique would be the same regardless of model, but without a computer to help with the search it probably wouldn't make much business sense. And I guess if you're going to sink the initial cost of scanning a bunch of documents to be able to run those searches, you'll make your money back on Mustangs long before you'll ever recoup the costs of a Box Panther database. In the case of our cars though, it's a little silly to call out how many had the same engine/transmission codes for vehicles with only one of each to choose from. It's one of the irrelevant bits on there that make me feel like the report is a lesser value for us.
    Tow package varies slightly by year but here's the 1987 version:

That's from the Ford book, but it's similar to Lincoln in content. There is no order code for the dual exhaust on the Ford. I guess with Lincoln, you got it your way.

I think the "engine transmission oil cooler" is a typo. Would be just a transmission oil cooler.

I suspect you nailed it on the Marti breakdowns. Panther enthusiasts are a small but equally interesting group IMO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Bumper height adjustment for the sail package?? Those do look pretty swanky and come with most of the options I like on those cars. Although I'm not a fan of white interior..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I assume it says heavy-duty rear brakes (sedans) because they were given the wagon rear drums? Wonder what trailer towing suspension entailed? Different rear coil springs? Same for the heavy-duty flasher system - what could that be?

No idea what the bumper height adjustment is about. Perhaps it was an issue from the factory, but then why put it on the window sticker? I agree though, they were an attractive package. Though I'm sure the white leather will really show its age if not looked after.

I post a lot...

Sway bar?
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The 87 Stars and Stripes I've worked on did not have a sway bar that I recall.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

I was not specific but was wondering if the trailer suspension included a sway bar
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Based on my car, it does not.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021