No announcement yet.

Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50ma seems like too much draw, and 12.4v is too low, especially if thats with the engine running.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The old battery was, in fact, toast. I've purchased a Motorcraft group 65 850 CCA to replace it, which I understand will require some modification to the battery tray. Is there a later battery tray that will bolt in to my car, or are the Aeros too different?

The 12.4v reading was with the engine off, but when cranking it fell somewhere below 10v. No good. I had read somewhere that 12.4v was something like 75% charge, which I could believe after making eight trips of five minutes or less in the previous two days.

50mA was a figure thrown out somewhere on the internet as an acceptable draw for a newer car, but I can see how a Box would pull less. What range should I be looking to hit? It's also possible that either I or my multimeter are somewhat defective.
      1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I haven't tested either of my boxes, but my 94 Mustang and 99 S10 run 6-10mA. Both will still drain the battery sitting over three weeks, which I chalk up to weak batteries that are due for replacement.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
          The old battery was, in fact, toast. I've purchased a Motorcraft group 65 850 CCA to replace it, which I understand will require some modification to the battery tray. Is there a later battery tray that will bolt in to my car, or are the Aeros too different?

The 12.4v reading was with the engine off, but when cranking it fell somewhere below 10v. No good. I had read somewhere that 12.4v was something like 75% charge, which I could believe after making eight trips of five minutes or less in the previous two days.

50mA was a figure thrown out somewhere on the internet as an acceptable draw for a newer car, but I can see how a Box would pull less. What range should I be looking to hit? It's also possible that either I or my multimeter are somewhat defective.
          If I remember correctly, you can use a dremel to trim down the piece on the bottom of the trey so the larger battery will fit. I did so on my friend's '88 CV and it fits with no problem. Good choice of battery you made as well. My friend has the same one and so far has over 5 years on it with no issues!
          What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

86 used a goofy batt, I don't know what 87 had. 88+ should accept a group 65.

10ma or less is normal in most cases.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, 87 used a "small" battery and I think 88 did as well. My solution, above, does work. I know 87 used the smaller battery, for sure, as I also used this method to fit the Group 65 into it.

Comment

I think the small battery was group 58?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Someone had already hacked up the tray, so the 65 dropped right in. After revisiting the current draw, I can safely say I have no idea what it really is. My multimeter reads 0.03 or 0.3 whether I'm on the 10A, 200mA, or 20mA settings. So I could be drawing anywhere from 30mA to 0.3mA, or my multimeter is broken.

The door chime ringing even with the key out and lights off is still strange, and something to figure out later, but probably not the cause of my battery dying.

My latest problem is a coolant leak somewhere above the front of the intake manifold. Coolant pools on the manifold itself and down in the two low spots over the timing cover. Hoses feel dry, though, so I'm thinking it's the little bit of pipe that comes up from the aluminum where the coolant temp sensor threads in. The service manual doesn't seem to cover this pipe, so I'm wondering if it's a serviceable part or if it's somehow integral to the manifold?

Comment

That will thread out. They can be really tight in there but absolutely thread out.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I assume I'll need some heat to get it out or I risk cracking the aluminum?

Once it's out, are there any replacement parts?

Comment

yep, just screws in. Assuming it doesn't just crumble to nothing.

For whatever its worth I've been using a 65 battery in my original 1986 tray for years. I removed the metal thing that the hold-down hooks to and knocked the studs out that held it in place. I've never had a hold-down in the car. I really should do something better than the bungee cord thats been in there for 10 years but whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          yep, just screws in. Assuming it doesn't just crumble to nothing.

For whatever its worth I've been using a 65 battery in my original 1986 tray for years. I removed the metal thing that the hold-down hooks to and knocked the studs out that held it in place. I've never had a hold-down in the car. I really should do something better than the bungee cord thats been in there for 10 years but whatever.
                          As John Candy said in "Splash", "If you've got something that works - just stick with it"!

Comment

"The door chime ringing even with the key out and lights off is still strange, and something to figure out "

I have had that problem before. New good quality ignition switch fixed the issue.
                            My 96 CV does that occasionally. I just wiggle the switch and it stops.

Comment

A new ignition switch wouldn't be too bad, and it'd give me an excuse to get the doors and ignition on the same key. I didn't notice this issue before I did the heater core, so it's possible I pinched or jostled something in the steering column when putting the trim back on. That whole column is already a little wonky. Last I remember the turn signal will resume the cruise control, while some of the steering wheel buttons are inoperable.

As for the pipe coming off the intake, my concern isn't as much about whether it will come off, so much as once it does are there and replacement parts to put back on? I suppose at the end of the day it's just a T-fitting with different sized threads for the ECT sensor and manifold. But I suspect those threads are not the same size, or maybe even something you can find off the shelf.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                                As John Candy said in "Splash", "If you've got something that works - just stick with it"!
                                Or as I've heard it, "A temporary solution is the most permanent solution known to man."
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X