No announcement yet.

Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did indeed receive a replacement hubcap. The chrome Lincoln emblem is a little pitted, but the rest of it should clean up fine - and beggars can't be choosers. Will have to wait to take care of that until my wife and I get back from our near-Christmas vacation.

Thanks for the part number. I had seen in Continental brochures the color matched inner portion, which looked pretty slick. Hard to find any that way for sale right now. Maybe the replacements were painted by the dealers to cut down on stock? Judging from some Google image searches, though, those hubcaps didn't seem to be a very popular option. I wonder if back in the day those with money to burn preferred aluminum wheel options to fancy wheel covers. BLS says $154 in '76 is $723 today. I don't know if that's for one or four, but either way it's a fair bit more than the $50/wheel they go for now.

Haven't been to Yorba Linda yet. Both it and the Reagan library in Simi Valley are high on my to-do list and low on my wife's. So once this Covid thing blows over I'll have to make a pilgrimage while she's at the hospital.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Your welcome. The centers of the caps were painted at the factory color coded for the trim of the cars. If you ordered a brown car, you got brown centers. On a custom order you could order say a blue car with a white top and white center wheelcover. The price is per wheelcover!
      Reagan library is good too. I went there maybe 20 years ago. Roy Rogers Museum (if you remember him) is not to far away. I think in Victorville.

Comment

Took the Town Car down to Phoenix for a week to visit my grandfather, who spends his winters there instead of Minnesota. It was a trip I made this same time last year, so I have a decent point of comparison for the last year's work. There were no mechanical issues, which is better than last year when the alternator pulley mysteriously came unbolted on the return leg.

Fuel economy was pretty good too, averaging just north of 20 mpg across the 1200 mile trip, and nearly 22 mpg while driving in and around Phoenix. I assume mileage drops a bit when these cars get above 70-75, so maybe a road trip out East might do a little better, where speed limits aren't quite as high. The EPA claims 24 highway, but I don't know if anyone ever sees that. Interestingly, I compared ratings for my car against those of my parents and grandfather - a 2013 MKT and a 2020 Buick Enclave. Despite both of their cars running smaller V6's, all three vehicles seem to get about the same fuel economy. Obviously a crossover is physically very different, but when you consider seating capacity and how large crossovers have taken over the full size sedan market, maybe the comparison isn't so wild.

Leaks were also improved over last year. A drop of oil comes off the rear main seal, but that's far better than the intake end seals, which leaked and dripped oil from a half dozen different spots. At this point the power steering seems to be leaking the most. It's always been noisy, but I'm not sure which way to go with it. Replace the pump, or just reseal and replace the lines?

Wind noise has been cut down significantly since I replaced the window weather stripping. Even with the vent open and cruising at 75, I can keep the radio at a reasonable level. And the vent had to be open since I switched the car over to "heat" for the winter and heat would sometimes pour out from the floor vents, even with the system switched off. I assume that's a vacuum leak somewhere, but at least the heat is strong.

So overall the car seems to be running solid and makes for a pretty nice highway cruiser. There's still no shortage of things to work on, but I suppose that's just part of the experience.

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Reagan library is good too. I went there maybe 20 years ago. Roy Rogers Museum (if you remember him) is not to far away. I think in Victorville.
        You know, my grandfather also mentioned the Roy Rogers Museum when we first moved here. Unfortunately, it moved to Missouri, I think, and closed entirely several years ago. Though we still pass exits for Roy Rogers Drive and the Dale Evans Parkway every time we go to Target.

Comment

I always wonder where those wild EPA fuel economy claims originate from. They never are what they should be it seems.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Depends where the leak is on the pump. I did a full teardown on one and it never worked again, but the shaft and body seals aren't any big deal to do. Still not sure why I failed so badly at the teardown, there isn't much inside, but whatever I did it refused to pump. Didn't leak or make any noise though.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Quincy View Post
              That's cool! I've got an NOS "NIXON/AGNEW" bumper sticker on my '72 Newport Custom.
              The last F series truck had that same sticker on the rear bumper, it was gone within ten minutes of parking in our driveway. Considering the Watergate scandal and his impeachment, I can't understand why "Nixon, now more than ever" would be something to boast and slap on a car. Maybe that's the joke?

Originally posted by Lutrova View Post
              ...Fuel economy was pretty good too, averaging just north of 20 mpg across the 1200 mile trip, and nearly 22 mpg while driving in and around Phoenix. I assume mileage drops a bit when these cars get above 70-75, so maybe a road trip out East might do a little better, where speed limits aren't quite as high. The EPA claims 24 highway, but I don't know if anyone ever sees that...
              My TC averages 24.xx or better if I keep it at 60 or 65. It tanks pretty bad if I push beyond 75. That EPA rating must have been done at 55mph, where it'll do much better than 24. I used to be a lead foot, but found on road trips it's much more comfy and relaxing to just ride the middle or slow land doing 60 or 65. This way I found myself not having to be annoyed by passing slow people or disengage cruise control. Try it some time.

...Interestingly, I compared ratings for my car against those of my parents and grandfather - a 2013 MKT and a 2020 Buick Enclave. Despite both of their cars running smaller V6's, all three vehicles seem to get about the same fuel economy. Obviously a crossover is physically very different, but when you consider seating capacity and how large crossovers have taken over the full size sedan market, maybe the comparison isn't so wild.
              The thing I like to think about is the technology and price difference between them. Those newer things are all quad cam, quad valve higher compression engines with mile long timing chains and basted with plastic & packed tighter than sardines in a tin. They're all probably direct injected too. Whereas a box is running a lower cube V8 with lower compression and a single cam and just two valves per cylinder. Top fuel dragsters are proof you don't need more than two valves per cylinder.. All that extra complexity comes with a cost. I highly doubt they'll still be running when they're thirty plus years old. A couple of screwdrivers, a 99 piece socket set and a voltmeter can take you far with these by comparison.

...And the vent had to be open since I switched the car over to "heat" for the winter and heat would sometimes pour out from the floor vents, even with the system switched off. I assume that's a vacuum leak somewhere, but at least the heat is strong...
              That's normal.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                The last F series truck had that same sticker on the rear bumper, it was gone within ten minutes of parking in our driveway. Considering the Watergate scandal and his impeachment, I can't understand why "Nixon, now more than ever" would be something to boast and slap on a car. Maybe that's the joke?
                It's more tongue in cheek than an endorsement. I suppose it started more as irony, as Watergate is probably the first thing that comes to mind when you mention Nixon. But it's been almost 50 years since his presidency, and with time all triumphs and controversies fade into historical footnotes. In hindsight, there are probably several more controversial decisions he made than the break-in coverup that have major implications today, like China, the EPA, and blowing up Bretton Woods. But whatever his legacy, the sticker's an eyebrow raiser, and I like to keep people guessing.

The thing I like to think about is the technology and price difference between them. Those newer things are all quad cam, quad valve higher compression engines with mile long timing chains and basted with plastic & packed tighter than sardines in a tin. They're all probably direct injected too. Whereas a box is running a lower cube V8 with lower compression and a single cam and just two valves per cylinder....
                I'm just amazed that for all those decades of advancement, it still takes about the same amount of fuel to move 4-6 people comfortably. I suppose some gains are lost to weight with all the safety equipment and other gizmos these newer vehicles have. On the other hand, new metal composites and more efficient manufacturing ought to shed weight. And aerodynamically, there was nowhere to go but up when compared to a Box Panther. As for longevity, I guess only time will tell. Will we even still be able to daily drive boxes in 20 years, or will driving any gas car be made difficult?

Anyway, I haven't looked at the power steering yet to find the source of the leak. But from my recollection this summer, fluid was coming from one of the hose connections to the pump. Will have to investigate.

My wife and I took a trip to Vegas this weekend. Saw plenty of very expensive cars, from Maybachs to Lambos, and a beautiful 60s Camaro SS, but otherwise nothing pre-90s. We also drove out to the Valley of Fire State Park about an hour east of town. Some very pretty desert out there - and nice rocks. I got a couple shots of the car just before dusk. In that lighting you can definitely tell where I still need to de-oxidize the grille. (More pictures of the park are in the link on the images below.)

Comment

Looks very similar to my TC when it was in Arizona several years back. They really do look sexy in black with that formal roof and tinted windows.

Volumetric efficiency and stuff. I suppose Or as my buddy would say, "you still have to feed the pig." An I.C.E. is just that, and while engineers and stuff have made advancements, the core or crux of the technology must be observed. So they get you in the showroom with buzzwords like "Skyactiv" or "Direct Injection" blah blah, but all I see is the same crap they've been doing since the turn of the 19th century- exploding gas/air mix within a cylinder for propulsion. So for me, it isn't important as to how technologically advanced they can make it, but rather how reliable and easy to service it is.

Comment

Nice pictures!

Quite the opposite of my road trip last week, LOL. I saw plenty of snow and sub-zero temps.
                    My '98 did over 27 MPG at 55 MPH, my '89 was just over 25 MPG at 55 MPH. Not a huge difference, at least not a big enough difference to make me consider my whale over my box for a long trip. My Yukon on the other hand... that's a big enough MPG difference to strongly dissuade me from long tripping that thing. Although easily hauling all our luggage and/or towing is the tradeoff that could convince me to pick the Yukon.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Considering the Watergate scandal and his impeachment,

l.
                      he wasn't actually impeached. Resigned before that happened.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Your Lincoln looks really sharp. Looks like a new car.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                          ...My '98 did over 27 MPG at 55 MPH, my '89 was just over 25 MPG at 55 MPH. Not a huge difference, at least not a big enough difference to make me consider my whale over my box for a long trip. My Yukon on the other hand... that's a big enough MPG difference to strongly dissuade me from long tripping that thing. Although easily hauling all our luggage and/or towing is the tradeoff that could convince me to pick the Yukon.
                          This is a good example case of my logic/point! I think there was just somthing wrong with the Yukon- the TBI 350 in my K1500 does 17+ on the expressway. Yet Ashley's C1500 with the same engine & trans, but different rear gear, does only 15+. Doesn't feel as strong as my truck either, not sure what's going on there.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          he wasn't actually impeached. Resigned before that happened.
                          I know, I could have phrased what I said better. The day he resigned also saw one of his most iconic(?) photos taken, the one where he was either by a helicopter or plane with both hands forward in the air. Part of why I thought that's why people might be flying those bumper stickers, in hope that trump took a cue from history.

Comment

Wow! That second picture came out beyond great. Looks like something you'd see in sales brochures of the period. A wall hanger for sure.
                            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              Your Lincoln looks really sharp. Looks like a new car.
                              Thanks. It's definitely a 34-year-old daily driver, though. The pictures don't show it, but the paint is maybe a five foot job, and there are plenty of creaks and rattles on the interior that I need to hunt down. The car was cheap enough and dinged up enough that I don't have to worry about sullying some perfect specimen. Though the more time I put into this thing, the more dear to me it becomes. C'est la vie.

A '90 Town Car came into the yard in San Bernardino today. I'm thinking of heading down on Saturday to see whether I can grab the fan shroud/coolant overflow and the Lincoln logs. I'm pretty sure my current overflow tank leaks, and the exhaust leak somewhere up in the engine bay sounds like it's getting worse, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to swap both out. Though I can see the headers being more of a job to pull than I may be equipped for. Might also grab the intake tubing and air filter box. Were the '90 TCs mass air or speed density? I don't think I want a MAF sensor right now, and if it exists and can't be separated from the rest of the assembly then it might be more money than it's worth.

Comment

In California it will most likely be MAF, everywhere else it would be SD.
                                If you grab the fan shroud and coolant bottle make sure to grab the washer fluid bottle and the air intake tube/air cleaner box. Couldn't you just run the box with the MAF? On the '90 TC cut the vehicle side of the harness to plug into the MAF to help keep pins from corroding if you plan to use the MAF some day.

The passenger side Lincoln log gave me the most trouble. There was some bracket or something that was a pain to get at the bolt(s?) up top. I got lucky and the cats were already disconnected.
                                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                                X