how to re-cover visors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to re-cover visors

Anyone ever re-cover their sun visors? Not quite sure how these things are supposed to come apart and I don't want to break them. Actually for the Conti, but same design as box Panther stuff at least. Looks like it must be a roughly square piece that folds over the bar and somehow clips together, and the cloth is just glued to that.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

No clue but I am interested. In different weather my visor material sags. Sometimes it is nice a taut and others it looks like it bubbles and sags.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I had the lighted ones in my 82 redone by an upholstery shop for $20 in 2006. No idea what they did, but shouldn’t be too hard.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have some used dark blue ones for a 96, maybe for the 90 available if that helps. Some maroon or red ones too. Either for Linc TC or box CV/mgm. Would have to look.
        I have redone mostly box visors. A few Diplomat and GMs. There were two types. The cardboard backed without lighted mirrors and the plastic with lighted mirrors . You really need to use the headliner material with the foam backing or it looks bad and without the foam the glue can seep through. You need to use the 3M 707HD spray adhesive. Anything less, it will not last long.
        Honestly if you are not into upholstery type work, for the price, have an upholstery shop do it. The plastic ones are a pain unless you know the trick of pulling the plastic apart while tucking the material in as you are working without tearing the material. You don't need to take them fully apart. To be neat, some types should be sewn inside out then assembled so you don't see a seam, unless you sew on a vinyl binding to the edge. I prefer the binding as it saves the edge. Last time I did a set a visors was about 15 years ago when i replaced a headliner. It isn't a hard job especially after a person had done a few. First couple are a pain. Cost as far as materials and your time, 3M spray glue $11-14. Padded Headliner material from an upholstery shop $10-15. ( generally can't buy the shade and quality at other places). $ Your time .
        Last edited by Mainemantom; 11-28-2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

I'm actually wanting to re-do the visors on my Continental. They're almost the same as box Panther ones, but not quite identical. Its the kind with the mirror. No binding on these, it looks like the material is glued to some sort of a plastic or hardboard and then folded over the rod. I can see the seam but I have no idea how it opens.

I'd have it done if I could find someone to do it. I'd give them the whole headliner to do as well. Its not saggy but the cloth is faded and it sheds blue dust if I touch it. Its closer to grey at this point than the dark blue its supposed to be.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have taken apart some aero visors (wanted to colour match them to my interior, didn't follow through with it).

If they are built the same as the aero ones, it works basically how you described it. The visor is basically two sandwiched plastic panels, I don't recall if they are actually folded or just two pieces clipped together. Along the edge where the "seam" is, there are teeth facing inwards from both of the plastic halves. The material is retained by those teeth. You can pry it apart to release it but it might break some clips.

IIRC they are designed to be assembled one time, and not ever disassembled. I suspect though that if you rip off all the covering some of the mechanics of how it is latched together will become apparent and then you can try to release the clips without breaking them.
            Last edited by kishy; 11-28-2020, 12:58 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

The rod goes into a metal clip that gives it the detent when you put it up. I think the clip also serves as the rod retention mechanism. Removing the cover is pretty much the only way to see that and then remove that for service.
              +1 these weren't designed to be serviced. You will need to carefully remove the stitching to get the cover off, or be prepared to recover them. Mirror only models (no lights) will be heavy cardboard folded over the rod and stapled/glued together. The lighted ones are plastic and much more friendly to repair.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

From messing with my coupes. the mirror/light assemblies need to be removed prior to messing with the actual fabric. The aero units are similar enough. The fabric is held together via a few threads and the plastic body of the visors clamp together.

Comment

Here is a step by step write up on ONE WAY to do a plastic visor. As you can see, It could be a task better left to a upholstery shop. I have done them this way and have never had to re-do one. I have done them other ways too. The cardboard ones are much easier but you need a sewing machine.
                  You may choose to do it another way, that is fine, Have fun.

The plastic ones are made not to be worked on. After the old material is removed from the plastic housing, you will see that they are clipped together. The clips can come apart without breaking with some difficulty. One way but not the only way, to do the job is : 1 Remove all old material and foam. Clean surface well getting all old glue and foam removed. 2. Remove lighted mirror assembly. Label wires if needed. Open up the plastic visor casing in the front and the sides. Just enough to allow the two pieces to sit on top of one another but not loose enough to come apart. 3. Line up the material so it is straight. Wrap the visor with the new material from front around the back to the front. 4. test fit and trim allowing at least an 1/2" on each side, top and bottom.( that extra material will later be tucked into the two plastic visor casings.) 5.Carefully unwrap material from plastic visor case. 6. Align your visor material to the visor. Apply 3M 707 HD spray adhesive evenly on one side. Lay new material down, Very gently tap down. Press down and the foam will mush into the glue, don't want that. Carefully apply spray glue to the other plastic side. With the material taunt, wrap the material around and down the other side, making sure the material is straight. Lay down the material to the plastic. Wait for the visor to dry. After drying time is done, Trim those edges a bit but keep in mind they must be pushed between the two pieces. Apply spray glue by brush to any needed spots. Push the material in between the two plastic sides of the visor and after visual inspection, clamp shut. It may be difficult but it will work, If you so desire,but not recommended, trim off a little foam first. Now go to the mirror area. Trim around the area carefully noticing where the mirror housing will fit. Don't cut the material too short Re-assemble the mirror. Make sure your wires are hooked up properly ! Let visor dry without installing overnight You have now completed one visor. Move to the next one.

Comment

This all sounds like stuff I'd probably break, so I guess its time to find someone who won't. Hopefully I can find someplace that I can drop a headliner and set of visors to and just let them deal with it. The trick will be getting it there. Might have to borrow my mom's CUV thing and put it in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      This all sounds like stuff I'd probably break, so I guess its time to find someone who won't. Hopefully I can find someplace that I can drop a headliner and set of visors to and just let them deal with it. The trick will be getting it there. Might have to borrow my mom's CUV thing and put it in the back.
                      One thought is give the upholstery shop the whole car. Let them deal with the R&R. Sometimes the front seat has to be layed down flat or sometimes removed. I have had to to all of that. To get the headliner out, sometimes it has to be bowed to get it out. Going out, not a big deal, Going in is, as you don't want to have the lining pull of the board. It has to be done carefully. Once in, it is no problem reassembling everything.
                      Just my two cents.

One other comment, A good trimmer will not cut the headliner material even with the cardboard liner. They will cut it longer then roll it over the edges and glue it down. They did not do that at the factory however but not doing that, the edges can start coming apart earlier and the headliner wont last al long as it should.

Comment

Maybe this video helps?

Sound like it is similar in process.

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This one covers a slightly different variant:

~David~

Comment

I have several good used visors from box bodies if anybody is interested. WagonMan
                            89 Colony Park
                            90 Colony Park
                            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

that makes sense, hidden clips that release when the material is sliced away.

Comment

Working...
                              X