PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 106
79 Mercury Zephyr - Page 5
PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 79 Mercury Zephyr

Made a bracket to mount (3) relays. Wired up the battery 12v sides, and the grounds. Tested them all with power probe, they all work!
    Friday i hope to make some more progress. Getting close!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GgsYam.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	57974

mmm... like me some angry pixies.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

The built in fuses are neat.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by ootdega View Post
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    The built in fuses are neat.
    Yeah i thought so too.

Holley Term X Max is finally installed!
    I initially had some starting issues, but that was fuel system related, not Holley related. Once the fuel issue was sussed out, the Holley is working nicely. I still have to finish the exhaust, mount the battery box, and fix the hole in the drivers side floor. Going today to get 4 new tires.

The amount of parameters that can be tuned with this system is incredible, and somewhat overwhelming until i get my laptop and familiarize myself with this system. But for the money, it really is worth it IMHO over the 1994 OBD-I system that i was previously using.
    The wiring is pretty easy, if you are experienced with that kind of stuff. The directions are pretty thorough, even though they are more LS1 specific than Mod Motor specific. I added a Meziere electric water pump which seems to be working well so far. The wideband O2 that comes with the kit is also working nicely so far.

The car is not street legal yet but it drives pretty good around my driveway lol. I'll update this thread as things progress.
    Thanks for reading!

I got the new tires on, put the fenders/hood/bumper/grille/lights back on it. Fired it up and took it for a short drive down the street. Drove great! Got a laptop as well, waiting for CAN/BUS splitter cable. Still need an SD card reader. Working with the RMV to get a title and registration.
    Looking at exhaust systems now, and will need to modify my fuel pump hanger once the parts arrive.

Great work so far. Definitely a dream project of mine. It's worth it when you finally get to drive it.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I typed up a huge update to this thread, with explanations and pics but for some reason if i click to another tab it wouldn't save. Very frustrating.
    I'm guessing it's a problem on my end but i have to wait until i have more time to post a compete update.

Word limit maybe. I've run into that in the past (cant remember if it has happened here, may not apply). Fortuneatly nothing lost, just opened up the same thread in a new tab and copy/pasted into a couple extra replies.

For long reply's I have learned to either write some and then copy and paste it into another document to have as a back up, or just type up the entire response in word or something similar. Ive been burned like you.
    ~David~

So i was having a problem with fluctuating fuel pressure. The fuel system was as follows:
    New 1986 LTD wagon gas tank and fuel pump hanger
    AN-6 ptfe supply and return lines
    Aeromotive billet fuel filter
    Aeromotive billet fuel rails, bypass regulator, 30lb injectors

The stock fuel pump hanger lines are 3/8 supply and 5/16 return. Except that they "neck down" at the ends, making them effectively 5/16 supply and 1/4 return.

Name:	IhJSZ9.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	58455

1/4" return line was creating my issue, tested by removing the return line from the tank and running the car with the return line in a bucket. I was initially going to try 37 degree double flares and tube nuts on the stock lines. But the bends in the stock lines prevented me from getting the dies on the lines. Did not want to try un-bending the lines and risk kinking/weakening the tubing.
    Then looked into trying to add bulkhead fittings to the stock hanger flange and crimping off the stock lines. But the stock hanger flange has a "stepped down" area making that nearly impossible. Trying to heat everything up to de-solder was also not an option, due to the plastic electrical connector built into the flange.
    Basically every possible solution i could think of ended in a roadblock. So it came down to fabricating my own fuel pump hanger.

I started with making 2 round discs from 20 gauge steel. Very close to stock thickness. 1 disc was for the flange, the other one was to keep the fumes at bay in the garage.

Name:	eASDiq.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	58456

Stock hanger is the usual setup- supply and return lines, gauge sender, float, etc, i removed the bottom part that supports the fuel pump.

Name:	OjQqth.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	58457

It took me a couple tries to get the flange perfect, my electrical bulkhead needed a 10mm hole (from australia) and i don't have a 10mm bit so i overshot that lmao. Bulkhead holes are 3/4" for the nylon washers. Was ultimately able to use 25/64ths drill bit and sneak up on it with a file.

Name:	cAJfBz.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	58458

Used 1/4 x 1/4 square steel tubing, measured carefully and welded on the stock fuel pump mounting piece

Name:	hRAmG1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	58459

The float- i tried to de-solder the sender mounting plate from the stock unit, but was unsuccessful.

Name:	NaBvmM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	58460

So ended up just cutting it off and welding it onto the new unit after careful measuring.

Name:	T3S5NQ.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	58461

To make things more difficult, the tank has a baffle that made things interesting lol. So i couldn't just "drop it in" wherever.

Name:	d6oGR5.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	58462

I initially was going to use some nice low-profile bulkhead fittings for the fuel lines, but they were a little too "low profile", as they did not clear the locking ring enough to allow AN fittings to be installed. Oops. This was a challenge because on this tank, the hanger mounts from the top of the tank, and the bottom of the trunk floor is very close. Not much leeway between the locking ring and the trunk floor. Low profile on the left.

Name:	xvc8vC.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	58463

I initially was going to use the 90 degree fittings shown at the right above ^^^ to mate up with my straight fittings on my fuel lines. I didn't feel like swapping out the hose ends on my fuel lines, but eventually realized that swapping to 90 degree hose ends really was the correct way to do it. Less fittings, less potential leak points. Plus the AN 90 degree hose ends have a gradual bend to them, unlike the hard 90 of the adaptor fittings.

My bulkhead fittings came with barb ends, which made for easy install of the supply/return hoses inside the tank. For the supply i used submersible fuel hose, and for the return i used some ptfe corrugated hose. Fuel injection style clamps all around.
    Tested pump and sender, both worked.

Name:	llv5zT.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	58464

So after swapping the return line straight to a 90, i ended up having to make a new supply line from the tank to the filter since it was now just slightly too short. Had to cut off the stock fuel pump electrical connector from the chassis, and splice in the new connector. Had to slightly bend the tabs for the locking ring, but everything seems to fit nice and work correctly.

Name:	TW14oR.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	58465

No leaks thus far, the fuel pressure is rock solid. New lines are 3/8 supply and 3/8 return. This job was a huge pain in the ass but it needed to be done.

Thanks for reading!

Damn. That is one way of doing it. When It does not exist you gotta make it yourself. Awesome.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Damn. That is one way of doing it. When It does not exist you gotta make it yourself. Awesome.
    Thanks for the kind words.

This video was what inspired this project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3osqtEtIEig&t=197s

So since i recently was able to get plates and registration for the car, i can legally drive it on the street. Car actually runs/drives pretty good, except i only have 1st and 2nd gear. I got it up to 70mph in 2nd waiting for 3rd but it never came. I suspect a bad shift solenoid, gotta drop the pan and figure that out. I have a book coming tomorrow that should help with that. Also the front brakes are grinding bad, this is a new develpoment. I suspect that the calipers are rubbing on the wheels. I'll have to figure that out as well.

Clearanced the back of the wheels and brake noise is gone. Swapped the VSS connector to the OSS in a last ditch effort to see if it will shift correctly. I'll take it forma rip and see if anything improves.

Clearanced the back of the wheels and brake noise is gone. Swapped the VSS connector to the OSS in a last ditch effort to see if it will shift correctly. I'll take it forma rip and see if anything improves.

So that seemed to fix it! The VSS and OSS sensors on my trans have the same connector, it was a huge pita to plug into the OSS because of how tight the fox trans tunnel is. But it is shifting now, i just drove around for like an hour. I'm pretty psyched, i did not expect it to work but it did. Went to gas station and filled the tank, slight fuel smell but no visible leaks. I'll check the datalog later after work.

Awesome! Must feel great to finally drive it after all the work you've put into it
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast