PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 79 Mercury Zephyr

Looks perfect in there.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Thank you!

Been working mostly on wiring lately. All circuits that i am keeping have been identified, tested and labeled. Still have to finish up the MAF and IAT wiring. Once that is done, have to find a place to mount the new fuse box and relay, and connect the hot in run circuits to it.
    Still have some small jobs left like installing the engine ground cable and securing the E fan control box, wiring and temp sensor. Shifter still needs to be located and installed and hole drilled in floor for shifter cable.

Getting a much better understanding of the circuits and how they work together. Spliced in a wire from brake switch to ECM. For the O/D switch and indicator, it took a minute but i realized that i was missing a wire from pin 55 on the ECM to harness connector. I must have removed that wire figuring i wouldn't need it lol. Luckily i saved all of the wires i removed so i was able to find a W/LG wire of the appropriate gauge. I still have some factory style female ECM terminal pins that i bought years ago. Crimped on a new terminal, removed the red plastic lock block and just added the new wire to pin 55. Easy peasy and now i have a working O/D light and switch. CEL light is also functioning but i will prob hide that one lol. With a chip i noticed that the light would always stay on.

Was on a roll today. Drilled a hole in the zip tube for IAT, mounted that. Wired that in with MAF. Installed E fan control box, ran some new grounds. Works fine. Made new starter cable. Loomed and wrapped starter trigger wire and bolted that to starter. Mounted engine ground cable to front frame rail. Had the mid pipe in and out a couple times.

Then it all came to a grinding halt when i put a remote starter button on the starter terminals to see if it would bump the motor over a little bit.
    Starter will spin like crazy but the bendix gear will not move back to engage the flexplate. Took the starter out and tested with jumper cables, no dice. Tried to lube the shaft and i could move the bendix gear by hand with a small prybar, but would not move under load, only spun.

Kind of a kick in the balls, since the starter is almost new but it has been sitting for a while. At least i found out now, before trying to fire the car for the first time. I'll use this down time to finish up the rest of it, and hope that by the time i get the starter sorted, everything else is done.

Local guy rebuilt my starter for $80. New everything. Works great super happy.
    Down to the nitty gritty on wiring.
    More loom and wrap, all starting to come together.
    Might be ready to fire this weekend

Added 5 gal of treated gas to the Zephyr. Cycled the key a bunch, let fuel pressure build to 40psi, no leaks on the supply side. Holding 40psi as well. Happy about that. I suspect the return side might leak slighthly, man i hope not.
    Gas gauge works too which is a nice surprise. Was 50/50 on that one lol. I did measure the resistance of the sender beforehand, but i always assume things will not work. Fox has separate voltage regulator in the instrument cluster so kind of a wild card.

Struggled with the car all day. Finally got it to idle after like 7 hours. Went back through wiring, realized a couple issues. Problem is the ECM is stuffed in there, going to have to drop the coolant, remove hvac box and dashboard yet again. Just to swap 2 ECM pins.
    FML
    I have half a mind to try and find another ECM harness and extend the 60 wires
    Last edited by massacre; 11-01-2021 at 10:37 PM.

I took a day off from the car. Was a good idea.

Was able to remove the heater core and heater box without removing dash. HUGE difference, made the job so much easier.
    Tested all ECM pins. All good. I was worried abut nothing.
    Putting everything back together tomorrow, just wanted to double check everything.
    IAC valve coming Friday, pretty sure that will make a huge difference.
    If not i may have to use a remote IAC setup, as the stock one for the car would definitely hit the hood.

I didn't know it was possible to remove the heater box on a Fox platform car without removing the dash. Need some video of that engine running!
    óJohn

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    I didn't know it was possible to remove the heater box on a Fox platform car without removing the dash. Need some video of that engine running!
    It's a factory non AC car lmao. I am as surprised as you are! Had to loosen up the dash but not totally remove it.
    A/C car it would never be possible.
    Good progress today. Had to chase down a few issues and some of them sucked pretty hard. Lots of diagnostics.
    Started off with 9 trouble codes, ended up in limp mode.
    Had continuity from IAC to engine harness connector. Had continuity from ecm to engine harness connector. But with engine harness connected, no continuity between the two.
    Went through my stash of old wires, found white/LB wire of same gauge. Crimped on an ecm pin and just ran a new wire to IAC. Not as tidy as i'd like but i need to get this car out of my garage and put away for the winter.
    ECT code was more difficult.
    I got cute and installed the ECT sensor behind the drivers head in my cooling mod fitting. If i had only known how hard that would bite me in the ass. Removing that sensor was bad. One of those jobs that looks easy, but was much harder than anticipated. Ended up having to break the sensor to get it out, messed up the threads a little.
    Decided to install the temp sender for the gauge in that location instead of the ECT sensor. Just in case i ever had to go back in, i figure it's better to only have 1 wire back there instead of 2 in case i had to revert to the ECT sensor for more diagnosis. No dice. Threads were questionable.
    Ended up having to remove the cooling mod from the back of the drivers head, with trans installed and up on jackstands.
    I did drop the mid pipe, it was the only way. My hands are still sore lmao. Very little room and visibilty.
    Grabbed a 1/2" NPT pipe tap and cleaned up the threads. Installed temp sender, reinstalled cooling mod fitting. Tested sender, works fine.

Got a new ECT sensor from vato zone, they were the only ones who had one in stock. Installed that in the x over delete and was hoping for some joy. Nope.
    When probing the 2 pins on the ECT sensor, i noticed that one of the pins was pushed in. Like all the way in. No bueno.
    Was able to pull it back out with needlenose, installed connector. Removed connector to check, pin pushed back in again.
    Removed 2 wires from connector, and installed the wires (terminals) without the connector 1 at a time to make sure that both wires were securely connected to both pins.

That seemed to make a huge difference. I'm guessing i had a bad ECT sensor, and replaced it with a cheapie that broke.
    Time for motorcraft if i can find it.

Went from 9 codes and limp mode, to 4 codes and engine starting/running nicely.
    The 4 codes i have, 2 are EGR (deleted) 1 was for VCRM (deleted) and the other was canister purge (not hooked up yet).

I'll take that as a win in my book, hopefully it stays nice.

Trans was just low on fluid. Cooler is pretty big so i'm guessing that.
    Was nice to finally drive it out of the garage under its own power.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vyCNsS.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	57232

Quick video at idle with E fan on.

Another vid.

No worky, either of them.
    Private I think.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    No worky, either of them.
    Private I think.
    OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll change that

Working now?

First one works now.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Nice to see it drivable now. That cooler IS big.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Unlisted will work for forum posts, but private won't work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast