No announcement yet.

79 Mercury Zephyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added 5 gal of treated gas to the Zephyr. Cycled the key a bunch, let fuel pressure build to 40psi, no leaks on the supply side. Holding 40psi as well. Happy about that. I suspect the return side might leak slighthly, man i hope not.
    Gas gauge works too which is a nice surprise. Was 50/50 on that one lol. I did measure the resistance of the sender beforehand, but i always assume things will not work. Fox has separate voltage regulator in the instrument cluster so kind of a wild card.

Comment

Struggled with the car all day. Finally got it to idle after like 7 hours. Went back through wiring, realized a couple issues. Problem is the ECM is stuffed in there, going to have to drop the coolant, remove hvac box and dashboard yet again. Just to swap 2 ECM pins.
      FML
      I have half a mind to try and find another ECM harness and extend the 60 wires
      Last edited by massacre; 11-01-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I took a day off from the car. Was a good idea.

Was able to remove the heater core and heater box without removing dash. HUGE difference, made the job so much easier.
        Tested all ECM pins. All good. I was worried abut nothing.
        Putting everything back together tomorrow, just wanted to double check everything.
        IAC valve coming Friday, pretty sure that will make a huge difference.
        If not i may have to use a remote IAC setup, as the stock one for the car would definitely hit the hood.

Comment

I didn't know it was possible to remove the heater box on a Fox platform car without removing the dash. Need some video of that engine running!
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
            I didn't know it was possible to remove the heater box on a Fox platform car without removing the dash. Need some video of that engine running!
            It's a factory non AC car lmao. I am as surprised as you are! Had to loosen up the dash but not totally remove it.
            A/C car it would never be possible.
            Good progress today. Had to chase down a few issues and some of them sucked pretty hard. Lots of diagnostics.
            Started off with 9 trouble codes, ended up in limp mode.
            Had continuity from IAC to engine harness connector. Had continuity from ecm to engine harness connector. But with engine harness connected, no continuity between the two.
            Went through my stash of old wires, found white/LB wire of same gauge. Crimped on an ecm pin and just ran a new wire to IAC. Not as tidy as i'd like but i need to get this car out of my garage and put away for the winter.
            ECT code was more difficult.
            I got cute and installed the ECT sensor behind the drivers head in my cooling mod fitting. If i had only known how hard that would bite me in the ass. Removing that sensor was bad. One of those jobs that looks easy, but was much harder than anticipated. Ended up having to break the sensor to get it out, messed up the threads a little.
            Decided to install the temp sender for the gauge in that location instead of the ECT sensor. Just in case i ever had to go back in, i figure it's better to only have 1 wire back there instead of 2 in case i had to revert to the ECT sensor for more diagnosis. No dice. Threads were questionable.
            Ended up having to remove the cooling mod from the back of the drivers head, with trans installed and up on jackstands.
            I did drop the mid pipe, it was the only way. My hands are still sore lmao. Very little room and visibilty.
            Grabbed a 1/2" NPT pipe tap and cleaned up the threads. Installed temp sender, reinstalled cooling mod fitting. Tested sender, works fine.

Got a new ECT sensor from vato zone, they were the only ones who had one in stock. Installed that in the x over delete and was hoping for some joy. Nope.
            When probing the 2 pins on the ECT sensor, i noticed that one of the pins was pushed in. Like all the way in. No bueno.
            Was able to pull it back out with needlenose, installed connector. Removed connector to check, pin pushed back in again.
            Removed 2 wires from connector, and installed the wires (terminals) without the connector 1 at a time to make sure that both wires were securely connected to both pins.

That seemed to make a huge difference. I'm guessing i had a bad ECT sensor, and replaced it with a cheapie that broke.
            Time for motorcraft if i can find it.

Went from 9 codes and limp mode, to 4 codes and engine starting/running nicely.
            The 4 codes i have, 2 are EGR (deleted) 1 was for VCRM (deleted) and the other was canister purge (not hooked up yet).

I'll take that as a win in my book, hopefully it stays nice.

Comment

Trans was just low on fluid. Cooler is pretty big so i'm guessing that.
              Was nice to finally drive it out of the garage under its own power.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vyCNsS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	1289796

Comment

Quick video at idle with E fan on.

Comment

Another vid.

Comment

No worky, either of them.
                    Private I think.
                    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                      No worky, either of them.
                      Private I think.
                      OK, thanks for the heads up. I'll change that

Comment

Working now?

Comment

First one works now.
                          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Nice to see it drivable now. That cooler IS big.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Unlisted will work for forum posts, but private won't work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X