79 Mercury Zephyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Oh Oh oh The MTS on the old plates...is there a meaning behind that?
    Not really.
    It’s a long, boring story but my buddy collects license plates and he gave me that plate.

Comment

Car looks sweet!

Best part for me was seeing the old Michigan blue plate. I miss those, and am amidst the last few people who actually had one fully registered to a vehicle.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Very nice project.

Didn’t know these cars suffered from the cowl rust. Looks like a spot weld drilling good time. Very thorough of you to fix that.
        Not as common as with early Mustangs, but it's possible. The primary rust areas on fox platform cars are the bottom of the windshield opening and (the big one) the frame rails just below the strut towers.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Wow! You arent messing around. Nice work and nice car!
          1987 CV LX 5.0

Comment

I love a zephyr! My 3rd car was an '81 zephyr wagon that i drove EVERYWHERE! Had big plans to do neat things but ultimately just put my mustang lowering springs and wheels on it and bombed around. Fell asleep at the wheel and drove it off the freeway. I still want another one. I love your car and everything you've done. My hat is off to you sir.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the kind words!
              I bought the car in late March, so it has been a busy summer for sure.
              Still lots more to do, but most of the bigger stuff is out of the way.
              Also got all the lights, wipers, horn, blower motor, etc working.
              Gotta plumb the fuel system and wire up the motor and install exhaust. Gotta figure out a shifter, as the car was column shift. The shift linkage on the early fox is a weird setup of mechanical linkage/pivots. The tubular K member has no place to mount the stock linkage, so I removed the entire shifter tube and column lever. I have a Mark8 shifter that I am going to try and make work. Car also has bench seat so should be interesting lol.

Comment

Shame you aren't somewhere in this part of the country, I could have made you a really good deal on a Mark VII parts donor.

non-Mustang Fox cars are far more interesting than Mustangs are anyway. Everyone has one already.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This is an example of something I'd love to get my hands on. This and the Granada of the same vintage were like miniature versions of the GM and CV on the Fox platform. And it's even more nondescript than a Fairmont.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184558372986
                  —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                  1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                  1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                    This is an example of something I'd love to get my hands on. This and the Granada of the same vintage were like miniature versions of the GM and CV on the Fox platform. And it's even more nondescript than a Fairmont.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184558372986
                    Those taillights though... could be sequential with mods... and very unique.
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Wow this thing is going to be a real sleep! Awesome work, look forward to seeing more!
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        Wow this thing is going to be a real sleep! Awesome work, look forward to seeing more!
                        Thanks for the kind words!

Comment

Looking good! Maybe this summer we can have a New England Zephyr meet. I actually got mine up on a rented lift last week...then I got called out to the ship, so it's hanging on a lift with the k-member on the floor below it. My friend's garage lost power in the big windstorm last week so all I have done since pulling the k-member is lower it onto blocks so it can't fall while I'm at sea (until January...)

Comment

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
                            Looking good! Maybe this summer we can have a New England Zephyr meet. I actually got mine up on a rented lift last week...then I got called out to the ship, so it's hanging on a lift with the k-member on the floor below it. My friend's garage lost power in the big windstorm last week so all I have done since pulling the k-member is lower it onto blocks so it can't fall while I'm at sea (until January...)
                            Thanks!
                            I’d be interested in a meet up as long as my car is ready. Sorry to hear you lost power, that’s a kick in the balls

Comment

Some small updates-

Engine and trans back out. Swapped to COP cam covers and wired in the COPs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OER47X.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1289466

Modified heater core return tube and installed additional cooling mod fittings to rear of heads.

Name:	mkxCNl.jpg
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	1289467 Click image for larger version

Name:	V4efQy.jpg
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1289468 Click image for larger version

Name:	td0L5o.jpg
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1289469 Click image for larger version

Name:	4uYbWg.jpg
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1289470

Mocked up ECM mounting

Name:	63n4cV.jpg
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	1289471 Click image for larger version

Name:	FeVsKz.jpg
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	1289472 Click image for larger version

Name:	Bk4Zqg.jpg
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	1289473

Once ECM and harness is mounted and grommetted, have to finish up the rest of the wiring- igniton switch, power distribution box, alternator harness, fuel pump & inertia switch. Power steering system, cooling system and that should do it.
                              Only waiting on my shifter at this point.
                              Thanks for reading

Comment

Looking good. Sounds like you're coming into the final lap to completion.

My Cars:
                                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X