No announcement yet.

79 Mercury Zephyr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice work on the heater hose setup. Little details like that take so much time but make a big difference. I bet 95% of similar swaps would have just skipped the heat.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      Nice work on the heater hose setup. Little details like that take so much time but make a big difference. I bet 95% of similar swaps would have just skipped the heat.
      Thanks!
      Believe me, i thought about not running any heat, but i kinda need the defroster up here in the northeast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
        Looking good. Sounds like you're coming into the final lap to completion.
        Thanks! I'm sure a bunch of other stuff will come up, like it always does lmao

Comment

Keep plugging away at it and hope that the day you hear that engine sing for the first time is soon. That's what I keep telling myself.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            Keep plugging away at it and hope that the day you hear that engine sing for the first time is soon. That's what I keep telling myself.
            Thanks!
            I hope the same for you as well!

Comment

Was the new windshield hard to find?
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

No, it was actually much easier than i thought! I called windshieldstogo.com and i had the new windshield the same day.
                Had to pick it up from a windshield warehouse locally. I had a glass guy install it.

Comment

Been plugging along. Mounted trans cooler and shortened the lines.

Dropped the trans pan, and removed the shift selector shaft, and replaced with Lokar shift selector shaft and put a stock pan back on. I had an extra deep pan on it and it was just too deep for the ride height.

I finally was able to get my shifter. Ordered one in May and was still waiting on it, Lokar said they were backed up.
                  I got this one from Summit, who previously did not have any. When it showed up, they shorted me a 1/4" female rod end. Was able to find one locally.

My uncle gave me an 8 ball shift handle, i'm not really an 8 ball shifter type of guy but it is a Lokar part so maybe i'll put it on, maybe not lol

Also pressure tested the fuel lines. The return line may leak, i'm going to be so fucking pissed if it does. Dropped the tank again which is a giant PITA, tightened up the fuel lines and connected fuel pump wiring, connected the vent hose. Reinstalled tank and modified the inertia switch bracket to fit the Zephyr. Ran the wiring into the passenger compartment and tested the fuel pump and it works!

Comment

Is that a custom bracket for the trans cooler to mount to?
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Is that a custom bracket for the trans cooler to mount to?
                      Yes Sir
                      I fabbed up both brackets. Not much room for error, it is pretty tight between the P/S cooler and the top of the core support.

Comment

Looks perfect in there.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Been working mostly on wiring lately. All circuits that i am keeping have been identified, tested and labeled. Still have to finish up the MAF and IAT wiring. Once that is done, have to find a place to mount the new fuse box and relay, and connect the hot in run circuits to it.
                            Still have some small jobs left like installing the engine ground cable and securing the E fan control box, wiring and temp sensor. Shifter still needs to be located and installed and hole drilled in floor for shifter cable.

Getting a much better understanding of the circuits and how they work together. Spliced in a wire from brake switch to ECM. For the O/D switch and indicator, it took a minute but i realized that i was missing a wire from pin 55 on the ECM to harness connector. I must have removed that wire figuring i wouldn't need it lol. Luckily i saved all of the wires i removed so i was able to find a W/LG wire of the appropriate gauge. I still have some factory style female ECM terminal pins that i bought years ago. Crimped on a new terminal, removed the red plastic lock block and just added the new wire to pin 55. Easy peasy and now i have a working O/D light and switch. CEL light is also functioning but i will prob hide that one lol. With a chip i noticed that the light would always stay on.

Comment

Was on a roll today. Drilled a hole in the zip tube for IAT, mounted that. Wired that in with MAF. Installed E fan control box, ran some new grounds. Works fine. Made new starter cable. Loomed and wrapped starter trigger wire and bolted that to starter. Mounted engine ground cable to front frame rail. Had the mid pipe in and out a couple times.

Then it all came to a grinding halt when i put a remote starter button on the starter terminals to see if it would bump the motor over a little bit.
                              Starter will spin like crazy but the bendix gear will not move back to engage the flexplate. Took the starter out and tested with jumper cables, no dice. Tried to lube the shaft and i could move the bendix gear by hand with a small prybar, but would not move under load, only spun.

Kind of a kick in the balls, since the starter is almost new but it has been sitting for a while. At least i found out now, before trying to fire the car for the first time. I'll use this down time to finish up the rest of it, and hope that by the time i get the starter sorted, everything else is done.

Comment

Local guy rebuilt my starter for $80. New everything. Works great super happy.
                                Down to the nitty gritty on wiring.
                                More loom and wrap, all starting to come together.
                                Might be ready to fire this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X