Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It used to be easier to post vids to and from youtube lol

Comment

Purrs like a kitten...once you get over the sound of the e-fan! Gosh that's loud. Engine fits nicely in there.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words. It will need some more tuning but at least i can put it away for the winter running/driving. It's not legal yet to be on the street anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Purrs like a kitten...once you get over the sound of the e-fan! Gosh that's loud. Engine fits nicely in there.
          Yeah. It's a black magic 185 and it pulls a lot of air. Trans cooler also has its own fan and thermostatic control.

Comment

Not sure how I ever missed this thread. I have always loved the 2 door sedan Fairmonts, but they sure are hard to find.

Interestingly, there is a guy here in CT that has a pale yellow Futura with a 4.6DOHC swap (5 speed). Much like yours, the workmanship looks like it could pass for a factory offering.

You do very nice work, and have great attention to detail! It almost motivates me to find another project!
            **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
            **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              Not sure how I ever missed this thread. I have always loved the 2 door sedan Fairmonts, but they sure are hard to find.

Interestingly, there is a guy here in CT that has a pale yellow Futura with a 4.6DOHC swap (5 speed). Much like yours, the workmanship looks like it could pass for a factory offering.

You do very nice work, and have great attention to detail! It almost motivates me to find another project!
              Thanks very much for the compliments!
              I have corresponded with the guy with the yellow Futura on foureyepride. Nice dude.

Comment

Ordered a Holley setup for my car

Comment

Received the Holley and been working on the install. Crappy part is that i just went through wiring the car with the 1994 OEM stuff and now the setup is different with the harness lengths and other stuff. But hey thems the breaks.
                  The good part about getting rid of the OEM wiring is that i removed a great quantity of wires.

Comment

I ran into a frustrating issue with my Terminator X Max transmission harness, part # 558-471.

The Holley MLPS connector only had (2) wires installed. The directions stated that there should be (4) additional "loose wires" installed.
                    (2) white wires for the starting circuit, and (2) violet wires for the backup lamps. My harness did not come with any of these additional loose wires, instead it had only (6) very short, six inch long black wires with the ends capped off.

I called Holley about this, and they said none of those capped off wires were needed. When i asked how i was supposed to start the car and wire up the reverse lamps, they said to use the I/Os. I was pretty pissed. The Term X only comes with (4) I/Os, and giving up 1/2 of my available I/Os for starter and reverse lights seemed like total bullshit.

I noticed that the (2) Holley wires were supposed to be "range sensor" and "range sensor return", but they were installed in the reverse lamp circuit pin locations.
                    Took the MLPS off the transmission and got out the volt meter. The sensor tested fine. Backprobing the Holley connector, and comparing it to the stock trans harness, it was obvious that Holley put their wires in the wrong location.
                    Disassembled the connector, repinned it putting the Holley wires in the correct location. Removed the (6) short, capped off wires. Added the starter circuit wires, and the reverse lamp wires. Reassembled connector, and now everything works correctly: continuity in P and N for starter circuit, continuity in R for the reverse lamps, and i have all the resistance specs for all the gear positions and they all checked out.

Kind of annoying to be sure, but at least it was a cheap easy fix. Not sure whether i should call Holley back and let them know?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	TZWqRB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1290348

Click image for larger version

Name:	52FFA432-ADD5-484C-BE38-D5A2DB79BFEA.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1290349

If you look close you can see that the (2) Holley wires are actually in the wrong locations

Comment

Good catch and fix. I would let Holley know, just for your own satisfaction.
                        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                          Good catch and fix. I would let Holley know, just for your own satisfaction.
                          I might call them when i have a couple hours to wait on hold lmao

Comment

It does not surprise me. Custom (small scale mass produced) stuff like this cannot have the greatest of quality control. Pinouts changing from models/years something is bound to slip through. They need to be receptive about the error though. Just accepting fault really would make the company look better in my eyes. We are all just human.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              It does not surprise me. Custom (small scale mass produced) stuff like this cannot have the greatest of quality control. Pinouts changing from models/years something is bound to slip through. They need to be receptive about the error though. Just accepting fault really would make the company look better in my eyes. We are all just human.
                              Thanks for the response.
                              To be honest, if the connector was upside down when it was wired it makes total sense. I don't think they know it's a problem. I don't even think they make their own harnesses. The guy on the phone didn't build the harness.
                              The guy on the phone is looking at the same wiring diagram i am, he doesn't understand the problem because he doesn't have my harness in front of him.

I was going to let them know, so they could save the next customer some hassle. But who knows what will be done with that info? So it might be a waste of time

Comment

Could always email them so you can make your point without wasting a potential lot of time on the phone.
                                What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                                What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Working...
                                X