Bench Seat Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bench Seat Foam

Anyone have any leads on seat foam for a full bench seat? Mines so gone it offers no real support or isolation of bumps
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I'm considering getting a whole sheet like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mybecca-Densi...05&sr=8-2&th=1

In high density, and cutting it myself, I see there's some pre-formed for F-150's but no luck with our cars. Has anyone done this before? Any advice on forming it?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Have you check the springs ? They actually are not springs but a mesh mat that sags then breaks apart. It is very possible you need a new one. You can buy them from upholstery shops or sometimes online. When assembling it it has to be tight or it will do the project no good. As for forming the foam, there is a hot knife that is used. Practice on lots of scrap first !! You might get the measurement from the F150 foam. It might be close on size. Might be the proper thickness.
      Last edited by Mainemantom; 12-06-2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Thanks! I removed the cover, and the foam is far more complex in shape than i was hoping for..The spring is soft as well. I'm considering ditching the whole thing and getting bucket seats at this point
        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

sometimes you can fix it by adding bulk foam under the existing, assuming the existing isn't so dead that there just isn't anything left. It would sit between the bottom of the original foam and the springs. I did that with my recliner to get some lower back support out of it. Needs to be pretty dense stuff though otherwise it just smashes flat. If the spring / mesh thing isn't right though nothing is going to fix that.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The spring mesh mat isn't hard to replace. Once a person sees an old one, they understand why the sag. The mat may look ok but once weight is on it, it all separates. In your area I would think there are small shops that locals/car people go to. Prices might vary, depending on how hungry they are.
            For people who do that work for a living, bench seats (especially pickups) are about the easiest. I remember pickup bench seats being done for $100 per cushion. That price was good even until the 90s.
            If you are considering new vinyl, look at a sample of the new vinyl. Turn it over and look at the backing. The more dense the backing and how closely woven the backing material is, the more durable the vinyl will be. It will not split /rip apart in a few years like the cheap stuff. Also make sure it is bonded in with the vinyl well, isn't going to peel apart. If using Cloth upholstery, a woven cloth, like something CV/ Chevy Caprice police cars had in the 80-90s is very durable. Regarding foam. Just because it feels good and soft or it just firm enough now does not mean it will stay that way. Foam had to be made for vehicles in a different manner because of the EPA . That is why it is so hard in vehicles in the past 15 years or so. Stuff you buy over the counter isn't that way. The firmer, the more durable generally. Soft stuff especially cheap foam, will not retain it's ability to go back into shape.
            Sometimes it is better to find a junkyard seat that is perfect, even if it is the wrong color. Use the foam that is really good. If the cover is the wrong color at least you have a pattern to use for a new cover.
            Just throwing some nuggets of information out. Maybe it will help someone along the way.

Comment

Some very good info! I know so little about upholstery, it's definitely a specialized skill that most car guys don't have. I'm sure your advice will help someone along the way
              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X