No announcement yet.

Warning About Inspections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot of stuff I don't do. Sometimes I'll go to do a job, see it's more work than I want to get involved with or don't feel like buying the tools necessary so I farm it out. Been taking stuff to the shop I use for over a decade now. Next year he'll get a laundry list of stuff I want done on my K1500.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by bgreywolf View Post
      Two vehicle fails at the hand of younger techs:
      1990 Ford Ranger (at a FORD DEALER, no less!): "The third brake light doesn't work!". I had authorized an hour of labor to fix bulbs and other stupid stuff, so they tried to charge me parts and labor on top of not fixing it while I went to have lunch. The problem is, they were trying to operate the bed lamp, as there is no 3rd brake light on a 1990 Ranger. Upon pointing this out, the service manager started laughing and brought over a couple older techs, one of whom put the sticker on the truck. I got the inspection, didn't have to pay for anything besides the sticker, and we were all laughing when I left.

One thing I've found is the relationship one has with a shop makes a huge difference.
      I rarely bring my cars to the local shop, but the owner knows me. He's a good shop/good reputation, so I make sure he sees my car from time to time, even if he's not working on it, I will pick up a friend whose car is being worked on, recommend him to non-mechanical friends, etc.
      I had a rookie police officer pull me over for that same reason in my '91 Ranger. Knowing that the rear cab light was a reverse light, that may not be working (never checked), I decided not to argue. Then his detective friend walks up on the passenger side and asks for my ID, which the rookie had. They both didn't know who I was (been living in this town for 35 years) and I was quite insulted as I had a reputation when I was a kid.

The mechanic I use is also the mechanic that does all of my inspections. Him and his family have been in this town for 45 years, so they know what they're doing. Unfortunately, since our township personnel are rich nOObs; they will harrass my mechanic from time to time. Very annoying

Comment

I thought all vehicles after 86 needed third brake lights. Where was the rangers mounted, or are you guys saying it really didn't have one?
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          I thought all vehicles after 86 needed third brake lights. Where was the rangers mounted, or are you guys saying it really didn't have one?
          Trucks weren’t required to have them until 1991, IIRC. If there was any lamp fitted back there, usually it was a cargo light if that was an available option.

My Cars:
          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            Trucks weren’t required to have them until 1991, IIRC. If there was any lamp fitted back there, usually it was a cargo light if that was an available option.
            Oh really!? Thanks for that bit of information.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post

Later than that. WIfe's '92 C1500 doesn't have a third brake light or cargo light. My '89 has a cargo light (Yay, I like options!) GM trucks didn't get a third brake light until 1994 actually, I'm betting that's the year they were required.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Cheeze'n'rice... So when they break shit do they just pass that expense off to you with a shy smile and shitty chuckle? "Joey bag of doughnuts." Ugh. Guess if we ever had inspections I'd put a seat & steering wheel condom and floor mat down myself before I had to go in.
                Believe me I do put a throw away plastic seat cover and a steering wheel cover on the wheel. Still they get the center console and the door panel. The Subaru has the ivory interior. I like it but it can show dirt. I have had the car detailed twice at the shops expense due to careless grease monkeys. One got fired, the other at Sam's got written up for violating policies. If the dirt/ grease will not immediately clean up, I hold them accountable. I will not tolerate the BS.
                I have had too many private shops break stuff, mess up stuff at my expense. So "what is good for the goose is good for the gander."
                I am glad I finally have found ONE mechanic that is really good. Young guy but really takes his time and has pride in his work. He gets 90 % of my work.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  Later than that. WIfe's '92 C1500 doesn't have a third brake light or cargo light. My '89 has a cargo light (Yay, I like options!) GM trucks didn't get a third brake light until 1994 actually, I'm betting that's the year they were required.
                  Yes, 1994 for light trucks per Wikipedia.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automo...p_lamp_(CHMSL)
                  Effective with the 1986 model year, the United States National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and Transport Canada mandated that all new passenger cars come equipped with a CHMSL. The requirement was extended to light trucks and vans for the 1994 model year.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

NJ doesn't require any inspections on 1995 and older, or anything with historic plates. The only inspection we get is OBD2 emissions. If the CEL isnt on, you pass. They do insist on driving the vehicle in themselves though, I don't know why. They pull up, check your paperwork, sit there for like 10 minutes, move to the next spot, someone comes out and plugs it in, they move it and it sits for another 5 minutes and someone else checks the gas cap. The whole process is like 20-30 minutes for 5 minutes of actually doing something.

way back when we had real inspections but you ran it through yourself. Always thought that made more sense. I know where my stuff is. Then they switched to having someone else do it. I watched someone stall my Beetle multiple times because they couldn't drive stick. They also messed my seat up by trying to move it and managed to get it jammed in the track. Had to squeeze my fat as into the car to get it out of the lane, then they watched me kick the seat for 10 minutes until I got it driven out of the track all the way in order to put it back in place. I'm sure I was cussing up a storm, half surprised the cops didn't show up to deal with the crazy person kicking the hell out of their car in the parking lot.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Id pay to see that. You are such a calm guy...unless way younger you was different.
                      ~David~

Comment

When I was 18-19 everything made me annoyed.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Everything always annoys me. Now I just know more about why it should annoy others but doesn't.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Damn, I miss those floor-mounted high beam switches. I remember buying a special non-slip rubber cap for the one in my '73 Mustang.
                            David
                            1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX
                            14 previous Panthers, gone but not forgotten....

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                              Believe me I do put a throw away plastic seat cover and a steering wheel cover on the wheel. Still they get the center console and the door panel. The Soo-bah-roo has the ivory interior. I like it but it can show dirt..
                              **fixed it for you

Yeah, I've got nothing for the console and door panel, maybe tape a towel to the door and drape another over the console. Eh, they'd still manage to smear grease on the headliner for some reason. I don't know why it's so hard to respect vehicles, or notice one is clean so try and keep it that way. Ivory interior eh? Why? I hated the white interior in my Fury, it showed every thing. And without A/C and in 90 degree plus weather, it was gettin dirty alright. Even when it was clean I hated the contrast. To each their own I suppose.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                              Yes, 1994 for light trucks per Wikipedia.
                              I knew about cars in 1986.. Funny when I see pre 1986 cars with them. Insurance companies must've offered incentives to people who put them in their cars or people thought they were cool. Aftermarket iterations always look like vomit and are usually off center and you can see the spaghetti so to say..

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              ...way back when we had real inspections but you ran it through yourself. Always thought that made more sense. I know where my stuff is. Then they switched to having someone else do it. I watched someone stall my Beetle multiple times because they couldn't drive stick. They also messed my seat up by trying to move it and managed to get it jammed in the track. Had to squeeze my fat as into the car to get it out of the lane, then they watched me kick the seat for 10 minutes until I got it driven out of the track all the way in order to put it back in place. I'm sure I was cussing up a storm, half surprised the cops didn't show up to deal with the crazy person kicking the hell out of their car in the parking lot.
                              That irritates me too, watching some asshole get to damage your equipment without compensation. This is why I don't do valet or whatever. When I used to be a porter, I never touched anything other than the wheel and shifter. Sometimes I had to adjust the seat forward because I'm vertically challenged but I'd always put it back approximately where it was.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Id pay to see that. You are such a calm guy...unless way younger you was different.
                              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              When I was 18-19 everything made me annoyed.
                              This. Up through my early twenties I was very irritable and acted like the world owed me for any transgression. Much of it was from learning poor habits and behavior from those I grew up around. Very hard to undo but I'm glad I have, for the most part.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              Everything always annoys me. Now I just know more about why it should annoy others but doesn't.
                              Everything still annoys me, actually it probably annoys me more now that I'm older. "GET OFF MY LAWN!" but I've seen so much of it and am more worldly wise than before, so I just don't react and chalk it up to something along the lines of "world gonna world" or whatever. Been spinning loooonnng before I got here and no matter what I do or how I react, it'll continue to do so. Adapt and endure is my motto, or better said with just one word: Abide.

Originally posted by fordnmerc View Post
                              Damn, I miss those floor-mounted high beam switches. I remember buying a special non-slip rubber cap for the one in my '73 Mustang.
                              I love those. So cool that Ford trucks kept them right up through the '91 model year. They're just no bueno once rust gets a hold of 'em haha.

Comment

You mentioned rust. Do floor mounted high beam switches protrude through the floorboard?
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X