No announcement yet.

Belt Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh trust me I hear ya but I live in wisconsin AC isn't something I ever really needed but right now if I can get away without it to me it's a bonus cause the car was about to be parked because of this. I never ran ac in my cars in the winter I only learned about that a few years ago, but the ac in this car didn't work anyways compressor is shot and I always drove cars all my life in winter without ac on. I'll still get it back on but now I can wait till spring and happily still drive her and I didn't even know about the belt bypass to just have only ac and not the air pump. This is new to me still for this era car lol.

Comment

Hey guys figured I'd just put this in here instead of posting a topic that's been hammered to death. I'm looking to replace the wheels cause I have a family member getting rid of a set of tires and rims from a ford. The tires are all 235/75/15 will these fit on the car? I know they will fit on the rear no problem since 245 and up to 275 have been ran in the back with other people's cars but the front is where I'm not sure. The car will only be driven in town for the most part for now. If the rims don't fit I don't even mind cause I wanted to get a set of turbines again those would be a bonus.

Comment

I know a 235/70R15 fits. The 75 gives you another inch. If it were gonna rub, it'd probably be the back side on the plastic inner fender liner nearest your feet.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks Tiggie I tried installing the rims that came with these tires and no luck, the rims are simply too big 5 x 5.5 or whatever they came off an old truck. So I'm picking up some turbines I found at a salvage yard the only question I have is these are coming off a 90 Mercury GM, and the only concern I have is these are 1" diameter is it possible I need the 1 1/2 ones or whatever? Just want to make sure before I buy these cause I have to drive a few hours to go get em.

Comment

What diameter is 1"

If the turbine wheels are coming off of a 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis you will have no issues installing them on your 87.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Okay thanks bud, and sorry what I meant is when you look up parts in salvage yards they have either 1" diameter lugholes or 1 5/16" lug holes that's where I wasn't sure what the difference was.

Comment

the lugs are 1/2"-20 on a 5x4.5" bolt circle
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They of course fit without a sweat thanks guys. I couldn't get my 235 tires to work, found out they were cracked and dry rotted I should've looked at them closer but oh well. So I caved in and bought a set of stock size winter tires for the old girl. Wish I had a heated garage so I could do other work the car needs but it's slowly coming around.

When I first got it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	106721414_895516531016313_8281764579596684857_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	1288581
                  Progress thus far.

Name:	thumbnail_D0FE6A7D-67B3-4C41-B5A6-D97BC028052D.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	1288580
                  Last edited by TwiztidRat; 01-27-2021, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Nothing like some turbines on a car. Looking good.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah I love turbines. So I decided to take the car on the highway today, and the gas mileage is abysmal, to my destination was 14 at 65mph and roughly 16 at 60mph on the way back. I only drove 90 miles back and forth but I figured that should be a pretty indication of what the mileage is roughly. I know it should be way better than that, but all I can think is the obvious new plugs wires, maybe a distributor cap, and of course check for vacuum leaks. The car revs up a bit when in park in spurts than calms down so I'm guessing it's gotta have a vac leak somewhere. Anything else I should look for?

Comment

Hunting idle in park might be a sticky IAC. Your list of things to check isn't bad if it hasn't been done. I'd keep an eye on the back spark plugs for any fouling.

Any idea to what rear gear is in there? My '87 has the 3.27 axle, and when it was still a LoPo, the best it ever managed was 21 MPG at 67 MPH. Never did it since. Around town usually was 14-15 MPG. I saw 20 MPG a handful of times between 65-68 MPH, but it dropped off quick above that.

After the HO conversion on my car, it seems to get roughly 16-18 MPG between 65-75 MPH, and won't do better. In town, 11-14 MPG is average. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just chalk it up to the fact the entire design of the car is an assault on the air.

Some folks manage way better with even more aggressive gears, and some people don't do much better than I do with more "economy" geared cars. Seems to be the luck of the draw. Also, if you ever catch the factory 1987 MPG rating, you'll get a good chuckle out of it. Somehow our cars got rated at 17 city / 27 highway.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I just picked this thing up last summer, I have no idea what gears it's running. How could I find that out? It's the GS if that helps lol. I know my 86 was rated 16/24 that was the first year they introduced EFI instead of the carb but I figured the 87 should at least be close to that. Would bad exhaust also rob mileage? I know the cat isn't plugged but the exhaust has rust holes in it cause the car is a bit loud. I average 14 in town roughly too so figure highway would at least be 18+ but not even close. This is my old one I had years ago, thing was in rough shape obviously, idled like garbage but had new exhaust and plugs and wires. I averaged 22-24 highway with that pig somehow..

Name:	PICT0463.JPG
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1288585

Comment

If the door sticker is still visible, you can check that for the axle code. Also, the differential may also have the ratio code tag attached, but at this point, anything is up to chance. Could be 2.73s, 3.08s, 3.27s... 3.55s were available too, but I've only ever seen those on a tow package car.

A plugged exhaust would drop mileage, but if there's no restrictions (and I don't think rust holes would be a restriction), that's probably not the culprit.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Sounds good I'll see if I check underneath the car and find a code, the sticker on the door is gone unfortunately. All I can think is the car needs a good tune up and who knows if the O2 sensors are toast or not. The motor on this car is also pretty tired, it does the classic engine light flicker at idle after being on the highway so it gets low on oil pressure, could that play a big part depending how bad the motor shape is? Still seems to have all the power with not much hesitation..ah well have a lot of fun work this summer to do to her lol.

Comment

Also found out the gear ratio is 2.73s

I also forgot since I don’t have the smog pump running could that be contributing too? Maybe I should put that other belt back on it.
                                Last edited by TwiztidRat; 01-28-2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X