Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TwiztidRat View Post
    Also found out the gear ratio is 2.73s

I also forgot since I don’t have the smog pump running could that be contributing too? Maybe I should put that other belt back on it.
    Doubtful. Mine was internally gutted when I got my car, and I eventually took it off along with all the hoses since it didn't do anything.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ok well I know she has vac leaks and probably could use a tune up so i’ll focus on those, does the gears matter as in she should be getting higher with 2.73s? Maybe the winter just really robs these cars too.

Comment

Originally posted by TwiztidRat View Post
        Ok well I know she has vac leaks and probably could use a tune up so i’ll focus on those, does the gears matter as in she should be getting higher with 2.73s? Maybe the winter just really robs these cars too.
        2.73s are highway gears. My '97 had them factory. Very nice for MPG at cruise speed, not very exciting for quick take off. In theory you should net decent highway economy, but obviously not everything in perfect in practice. Mechanical condition of the car is obviously a major factor, but also environmental conditions, how you drive the car, and things like that will affect economy. You might pick up some mileage in your tuneup and vacuum line repairs, or it might just stay the same. These cars can be quite odd, no two seem to be exactly the same even when configured similarly.

My Cars:
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yeah, either way it can only help benefit the car so if I get better mileage I guess that'll be a bonus, the car doesn't see much highway anyways so it's not a big deal. I don't drive it heavy cause I already know the condition this motor is in so I am easy on the pedal, but when I get to it I'll give her new plugs and wires, and make sure the vac leaks are fixed. After that...nothing else I can really do lol. Thanks for your help bro.

Comment

2.73 are not helpful around town at all. Much easier to get moving with a 3.08 or 3.27

also I'm not much for babying the throttle. Give it if you have to, if it blows up it was broken anyway.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good point gadget, I know the motor has low oil pressure at idle so drive it till she blows basically. By the way guys I tried replacing the wiper blades and each blade I tried installing in the pins wouldn't stay on the arm. The pin length is simply too short..either the wiper arms aren't the ones that are suppose to be on or is there something else I'm missing? I prefer hooks myself.

Comment

I run a conventional Trico 181 wiper blade. Never had a problem. It’s an older design and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of the newer ones don’t fit our stuff like they are supposed to. You do have to push them down on there hard.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yeah I had to push them in their with a good amount of force but they could easily come off still. I'll try some trico's, only reason i wanted to replace em was cause the previous guy put an 18" and 16" blade on there.

Comment

I've seen some of the blades have two holes for the large and small pins. If you try using our pins on the large hole, it won't engage right.

I'm using the even more basic Trico 31 series (P/N 31-180), but they're similar to the 18-1 Tiggie has. Regardless, the pin should have a bit of the end sticking out the top side. If it doesn't clear and latch on, you may want to try a different blade.

My Cars:

Comment

I’m using bosch blades, I’d steer clear. The blades are fine but they use this big adaptor for our cars so when the blades park the adaptor hits the hood and sort of gets stuck so they pop when activated and parking. It can’t be good for the motor. I have a set of tricos going on soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah the ones I tried were basically the same width as the pins, so when they snapped on there was no length of pin sticking out. I just hope these arms are the right ones on this car. Who knows if the previous guy installed different older ones on it for whatever reason.

Comment

Well guys update with my fuel mileage, I think the freezing weather was just robbing it, right now the old girl is getting about 16-17. Haven't tested it on the highway again yet, but around town it's decent so I'm quite pleased.

Comment

Working...
                          X