Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use these Hedman Headers before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody use these Hedman Headers before?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88400/make/ford

Any issues with the install? I've liked every Hedman header I've used before, so I figured I'd give them a look.

Most people use a Fox body header, which enables the use of an easy to find premade h-pipe. Those h-pipes tend to hang a little bit low for my taste, but function fine.

This might work but it’ll likely be a try it and see what happens kind of thing.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

yeah the outlets don't aim the right way. Fox headers are a much closer fit. The H pipe could be a better fit but you could have an exhaust shop make you somthing that duplicates the stock pipe routing with larger flanges. Either way the Fox headers put the outlets almost exactly where the stock manifolds do. Looks like those would have one outlet aiming straight down at the crossmember.

I have a set of Headman Mustang headers on my car. it used to eat gaskets at least once a year. Finally had the damn things milled flat at the machine shop and its been fine for years.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Most people use a Fox body header, which enables the use of an easy to find premade h-pipe. Those h-pipes tend to hang a little bit low for my taste, but function fine.

This might work but it’ll likely be a try it and see what happens kind of thing.
        Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        yeah the outlets don't aim the right way. Fox headers are a much closer fit. The H pipe could be a better fit but you could have an exhaust shop make you somthing that duplicates the stock pipe routing with larger flanges. Either way the Fox headers put the outlets almost exactly where the stock manifolds do. Looks like those would have one outlet aiming straight down at the crossmember.

I have a set of Headman Mustang headers on my car. it used to eat gaskets at least once a year. Finally had the damn things milled flat at the machine shop and its been fine for years.
        I guess if I was thinking I would have mentioned that I already have a full custom exhausts and the shop that did it for me expects to make me new downpipes when I get headers. I just couldn't handle those clogged up cats anymore, so I have 2.5 inch true duals with glasspacks. Fits my taste, but with the 2 inch downpipes it needs something to prep it for aftermarket heads and an H.O. swap.

Comment

I guess what I'm saying is, with that knowledge, would I need to clearance anything for them? I know headers suck to put on an engine in any engine bay just about, I just don't want to have to cut or bend anything that isn't exhaust parts after the header.

Comment

Bet that passenger outlet for those you linked will put it into the transmission tunnel. Foxbody shorties work. I have used bbk and frpp without issues. Im sure these headman brand will too. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hed-88600

Comment

I, too would recommend using the fox headers. The early-Mustang headers have an outlet on the passenger side that goes straight toward the firewall.
              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

no point in making your or your exhaust guy's life any more difficult. Fox headers fit nicely in the engine bay and put the outlet where they are convenient to connect pipes to. They're also very available.

yeah its a safe road to travel, I'd bet almost everyone who has a box with headers is using headers for a Mustang, but there is a reason for it. The scant handful who aren't are using semi-custom headers modified specifically to fit these cars in order to get a mid or long tube header. No drop-in options exist for that.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  no point in making your or your exhaust guy's life any more difficult. Fox headers fit nicely in the engine bay and put the outlet where they are convenient to connect pipes to. They're also very available.

yeah its a safe road to travel, I'd bet almost everyone who has a box with headers is using headers for a Mustang, but there is a reason for it. The scant handful who aren't are using semi-custom headers modified specifically to fit these cars in order to get a mid or long tube header. No drop-in options exist for that.
                  This is real true, probably will end up just using Fox headers, since it's a tried and true method. Do you know if they'd bolt up just fine to AFR heads? Kinda planning out my mods, more or less in an order.

Comment

i think the AFR heads are supposed to be an exact drop-in for stock iron. Same shape and spacing on the ports, bolts, etc. At least that used to be their sell point. Not all aftermarket heads have all the same holes for brackets and crap like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X