PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Quincy" 1979 Ford LTD (base) Station Wagon

Default "Quincy" 1979 Ford LTD (base) Station Wagon

Most of these are from around the time I had recently acquired Quincy (2004-ish). I'll try to put more updated ones in soon. He looks mostly the same except w/ S.W.A.T.T. titles (now degraded), more peeling clearcoat, door edge guards removed (they were literally falling off!), dual exhaust, slicks on 15 X 8" steelies (w/ factory poverty caps all around) and enhanced rear ride height.

You eagle-eyed guys, don't let the "Fuel Injection" emblem on the gate fool you as to year - definitely a '79. I got a spare tailgate early on because the rear window was missing in action when I bought him. I was going to change the entire gate due to some damage at the bottom of the original, but after careful consideration of what a PIA it would be to realign the "two-way magic tailgate", I opted to change out the glass only, and I stuck the EFI emblem on for fun and to create confusion!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Quincy.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	55418

Name:	105-0544_IMG.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	141.0 KB 
ID:	55419

Name:	105-0545_IMG.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	55420

Name:	105-0567_IMG2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	55421

Name:	107-0702_IMG.jpg 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	55422

Name:	106-0700_IMG.jpg 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	55423
    Last edited by Quincy; 12-17-2020 at 11:04 AM.

I've never seen a wagon with the S front end. Sure that hasn't been repainted? I find it hard to believe that a "Ford" was base/clear in '79. That was a relatively new thing for Ford at the time and I think '79 was the first year it made it's appearance, on Lincoln models & "Moon dust" paint colors specifically. Hell, I think my Town Car is single stage, or was originally.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice wagon! I like the blue paint on the valve covers and air cleaner; really sets that engine apart. Side exhaust; what mufflers are you running with that?

mmm another 2 headlight owner! I like it
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Sure that hasn't been repainted?
    I'm sure it's been spot resprayed here and there at the minimum, looks like to correct some fender benders. I'm 102% sure it's an original black car, all underhood, jams, nooks/crannies black. Nobody could get the black in there that perfectly. Perhaps someone cleared the whole car after some collision damage. I'm not presenting this heap as 100% concours correct numbers matching anyhow!

I post a lot...

Cool wagon! Certainly donít see many two headlight ones floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Side exhaust; what mufflers are you running with that?
    No mufflers, pre-cats only at present. Going to have to come up w/ something else more appropriate when I drop in the 351W!

Paint is original on the valve covers, by the way. A/C lid is from a 318 Chryco motor, sprayed Cadillac blue because that's what I had (I also own a '70 Dodge 3/4 ton p/u with a 500 Cadillac/Turbo 400.....

Brown_Muscle, you may be able to give me some good advice, judging by your engine setup! Please see my header question post over in the Box Tech section...

Thanks,
    "Quincy"

Nice ride. Enjoy it. Always admire the S front ends. No roof rack look killer too. Speed wagon.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Did I mention I keep the A/C operational? Going to swap to a Nippondenso or Sanden unit from the heavy GM Frigidaire (!!!!!) piece when I am doing the engine swap.
    Last edited by Quincy; 12-17-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Nice ride. Enjoy it. Always admire the S front ends. No roof rack look killer too. Speed wagon.
    Thanks. Hopefully will be a bit speedier soon!

Looks awesome.

The 80-91 cars used a more modern compressor and belt setup. I suspect someone around here has those parts to make it mount up happily. Although I think the 351W A/C bracket is unique (and rare) IIRC.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Looks awesome.

The 80-91 cars used a more modern compressor and belt setup. I suspect someone around here has those parts to make it mount up happily. Although I think the 351W A/C bracket is unique (and rare) IIRC.
    Thanks, Tiggie.

My plan all along was to score a single serpentine belt/pulley/bracket setup off a dead 351 equipped box Vic police car somewhere... THEN I tried to find one!!! I used to trip over these things, hell they gave them away after the cops wore them out, making taxicabs and hoopties out of them wasn't as huge a thing back then like it has been for the '92 and later models.

I used to know where a bunch were - now they're all gone

If anyone has a single belt accessory setup w/ A/C available for either a 302 or a 351, I'd like to talk to you. I already knew my A/C bracket is going to be an issue. What needs to change from the 302 unit to make it work with the 351? Obviously, it must move the compressor up and farther away due to the increase in deck height of the 351. How hard can it be to make that happen? I admit I haven't studied on the situation much yet!

fomoco panthers !

I've never seen a wagon with the S front end. Sure that hasn't been repainted? I find it hard to believe that a "Ford" was base/clear in '79. That was a relatively new thing for Ford at the time and I think '79 was the first year it made it's appearance, on Lincoln models & "Moon dust" paint colors specifically. Hell, I think my Town Car is single stage, or was originally.
    I had a 79 S wagon for a few years back in the 90s. 351w C-4 9 passenger. Ex Avis rental car out of LAX. light green with medium green vinyl. I may still have a picture.

fomoco panthers !

I love the black with red interior combo ! Really sharp especially the S model. Glad that you have the 302. My 351 w was such a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Glad that you have the 302
    Not for long!!! I bet your green wag was bitchin'!

none of these cars came with a single belt setup- One belt drives the A/C and smog pump, and the other drives the water pump, PS, and alternator. That said it would be a lot easier if you were to find a later stock setup when redoing the A/C. Mine thankfully came with it, and will maintain it! I'm fairly certain a couple members might be holding on to the coveted 351W A/C bracket. The question is whether they are will to part with it. Wagonman has an excellent collection of parts, I'm not sure if he has a bracket though.

I believe you are absolutely right with the 351w A/c bracket as far as size differences, it is also aluminum. you could certainly make you own, but that would be a lot of work, especially without a template
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

I was thinking I could just modify a 302 unit if I have to (A/C bracket). Right now I've got a V-belt for the A/C and a serpentine for everything else. "Smog pump" was separate also (V-belt), but now uses an "invisible" belt.

This requires more study on my part. There are two serpentines on the later box Panthers? I think Mustangs have a "uni-belt", don't they? (I know the A/C compressor is in a different location). I'll need as simple as possible because I plan to add a GIANT belt at some later date for a huffer!

Donating Member

Wow man that wagon looks killer! I have a 79 Fox and looks like same color interior, is it dark canyon red?
    Love the 2 headlights and no roof rack, and the antenna. 351 swap will really put it over the top

Hopefully these help. They are of my stock 351w setup, minus the Smog pump which was deleted as well.

Name:	IMG_6295.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	55428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6296.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	55429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6297.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	55430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6298.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	55431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6300.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	55432
    -Phil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast