No announcement yet.

Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only the better grade interstate always held up for my. the cheap ones not so much. That was backed up by consumer reports ratings. Now I do not think they rated the current interstate premium lines.

Bought one for the TC a couple of weeks ago as the 5 yr old one was getting to read a bit weak on the midtronics . It got to die flat a couple of times though which is probably why. I would have run it till it died in yrs past but getting stuck in the cold is no worth it for me now. Asthma and all.

Group 65 850CCA
    Last edited by jaywish; 01-01-2021, 01:18 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I run the SuperStart Extreme batteries from Oreilly's in all my cars minus the '03 Vic (which gets a Motorcraft from the dealer- and is only on it's second battery now).

The SuperStart batteries are made by East Penn/Deka (made in US) and have never let me down. Sure, they cost more but I have yet to have one die early. I gave up on the cheap ones years ago.

My 95 Bonneville sat for 7 months without being started. Got in this spring and it fired right up like it was ran yesterday.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
        Only the better grade interstate always held up for my. the cheap ones not so much. That was backed up by consumer reports ratings. Now I do not think they rated the current interstate premium lines.

Bought one for the TC a couple of weeks ago as the 5 yr old one was getting to read a bit weak on the midtronics . It got to die flat a couple of times though which is probably why. I would have run it till it died in yrs past but getting stuck in the cold is no worth it for me now. Asthma and all.

Group 65 850CCA
        850 cca is about the best you can find now. What is the warranty given ? 3 year replacement with 5 year pro-rate seems to be above average. What is the reserve ?

Comment

MTP-65HD flooded type. 850cca 150min RC, CA1000, 30 month replacement/6yr warranty. They also have a couple of types of AGM but I have not used them in an old car yet to see how that goes. The other one I would recommend based on past performance is the MTP-65 just under the MTP65HD same warranty but 750cca 140min RC CA1000. Still very nice.

I was lucky and someone had a new blem so no warranty or maybe a year, Can't remember. I am happy with that. New bats in the whole fleet (4 cars) in less ten two years. Funny how that happened to work out. Should be good for years now unless I do something dumb. Only one lasted just a few yrs but it was a lower grade for the wifes car which was all I could grab in stock that particular day with her stuck and wanting to go go go.

Really would consider AGM but have heard polarizing stories with non original applications. Wish I knew.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Given the slight shift in the conversation regarding warranty/longevity, the Group 64 in the '87 is almost four years old. Assuming it comes back from the shop without showing any signs of trouble, I'll just keep an eye on it since it should get cool again down here. It's a SuperStart Premium, had a two year warranty and is rated at 620 CCA. In that particular group size, that's the only series they offer for it (Premium = 2yr Warranty).

I accidentally killed that battery back in 2019 or so when the original PCM/Fuel Pump relays were still fitted and one got stuck energized after I was done fiddling around under the hood. I wasn't driving it at the time, so when I went to move it and found nothing came on. Popped it on the charger for a few hours, and it came right back up with no trouble. So far I've been quite pleased with it.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Yes Mega Tron Plus, I sold many of those (prior to 2007) Had them in all my cars. I think one is still in the 90 CV. I don't think they had the MTP-HD then. Maybe what I sold was what they call the HD now.
              How Interstate used to pro rate really was terrible. Not to the customer's benefit. Based upon the FULL retail price, not suggested or what you paid.
              You have a great battery with excellent numbers.

Comment

Yes the MTP has proven good for me. And you maybe right about making marking it HD though I thought they also had an HD back then as well. Maybe a redesign as well has crept in. It has been many years and new "top of line" seems to be AGM. The proration was never he concern as they seemed to last.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                X