PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

Default Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

First.............Happy new year to one and all out there in FoMoCo world!

Second:...........what is the largest battery I can put in my '86 Tudor MGM?

Two months ago i put a new battery in and its defective, so my bud will replace no charge.

This time I would like to get something more heavy duty and long lasting!

I put a group size 65 in mine, 1000 CA 850CCA... I believe. I don't think much bigger than that will fit. You may need a new, larger battery hold down, but don't quote me on that
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

Default Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

I had a 65 in my 87 Mgm when I bought it and it sat crooked since the tray is too small. I wanted to get another 65 but ended up getting a 56 since it fit and itís been fine for almost 2 years. Even when I leave it sitting for a week or two it still cranks strong, Iím pretty impressed.

I realize my reply doesnít really answer your question but I wanted to throw out personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    I had a 65 in my 87 Mgm when I bought it and it sat crooked since the tray is too small. I wanted to get another 65 but ended up getting a 56 since it fit and itís been fine for almost 2 years. Even when I leave it sitting for a week or two it still cranks strong, Iím pretty impressed.

I realize my reply doesnít really answer your question but I wanted to throw out personal experience.

Thank you, I no longer have a tray so that should not be a problem.
    I will look into both 65 and 56 size. Should I go with Interstate?

LOL............the hold down rotted out years ago, the battery is held down with one of those very heavy duty rubber straps with hooks on the ends;-)

Interstate is mediocre in my experience. my last bosch lasted me 10 years
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, Baumann Shift kit.

I had an interstate in mine when I bought it and it was old and I drained it a few times yet it kept charging back up no problem. Though that was my only experience with them.

Iíd only go with either Walmart because of the price or motorcraft because of the warranty. That said, my 87 has a Walmart special and my 09 p71 and 17 gt both have Motorcraft.

A Group 64 is what I run in my ‘87 since that what it calls for. Fits properly in the tray.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

65 duralast gold in the vic. Trimming of batt tray (plastic shaving) was required. I also sourced a different yet factory panther metal hold down.

One gripe about the battery I purchase is the posts are reversed....positive is RIGHT next to the core support and fender. Ground is next to the radiator. No issues otherwise.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-31-2020 at 04:25 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

fomoco panthers !

Toploader : I sent you a lengthy pm as requested. My best suggestion for a good battery now is a Motorcraft from the Ford dealer. Not the cheaper one either. Buy the best at about $135. It seems like there is a quality difference from the dealer vs auto store Motorcrafts being sold. I used to be a Interstate dealer when I had a business before retiring from everything. Only the top tier Interstate batteries are worth buying. They are expensive due to possible high markups as dealers don't have fixed retail prices.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

1986 takes a wierd battery. Forget what, but its smaller than a 65. Those do not fit into the tray properly unless you remove the hold-down hook. Mine has been running un-restrained for a very long time.

and yes cheap batteries are trash. The years of service per dollar works out much better if you just ante up and buy the good one.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

24R (if you have to use an aftermarket battery tray and hold-down kit)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

group 65 but going to have to mod the battery tray iirc.......86 took a wimpy group 58

interstate batteries rock!
    i had the interstate group 65 from jay's colony park in my 89 f-250 that i drive no more than once a month. just replaced it a few weeks ago. i think it was close to 8 yrs old which is good for me. neverstarts barely last 2 lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I got 7 years out of my last Neverstart, but that was after a half dozen or so that lasted 2 years and were replaced free under warranty.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The last neverstart lasted 7 years in the 93 vic. Had a duralast go for 6 years in the 88 MGM. I've not had any other cars long enough to have a battery I purchased go bad.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I post a lot...

Only the better grade interstate always held up for my. the cheap ones not so much. That was backed up by consumer reports ratings. Now I do not think they rated the current interstate premium lines.

Bought one for the TC a couple of weeks ago as the 5 yr old one was getting to read a bit weak on the midtronics . It got to die flat a couple of times though which is probably why. I would have run it till it died in yrs past but getting stuck in the cold is no worth it for me now. Asthma and all.

Group 65 850CCA
    Last edited by jaywish; 01-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

I run the SuperStart Extreme batteries from Oreilly's in all my cars minus the '03 Vic (which gets a Motorcraft from the dealer- and is only on it's second battery now).

The SuperStart batteries are made by East Penn/Deka (made in US) and have never let me down. Sure, they cost more but I have yet to have one die early. I gave up on the cheap ones years ago.

My 95 Bonneville sat for 7 months without being started. Got in this spring and it fired right up like it was ran yesterday.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Only the better grade interstate always held up for my. the cheap ones not so much. That was backed up by consumer reports ratings. Now I do not think they rated the current interstate premium lines.

Bought one for the TC a couple of weeks ago as the 5 yr old one was getting to read a bit weak on the midtronics . It got to die flat a couple of times though which is probably why. I would have run it till it died in yrs past but getting stuck in the cold is no worth it for me now. Asthma and all.

Group 65 850CCA
    850 cca is about the best you can find now. What is the warranty given ? 3 year replacement with 5 year pro-rate seems to be above average. What is the reserve ?

I post a lot...

MTP-65HD flooded type. 850cca 150min RC, CA1000, 30 month replacement/6yr warranty. They also have a couple of types of AGM but I have not used them in an old car yet to see how that goes. The other one I would recommend based on past performance is the MTP-65 just under the MTP65HD same warranty but 750cca 140min RC CA1000. Still very nice.

I was lucky and someone had a new blem so no warranty or maybe a year, Can't remember. I am happy with that. New bats in the whole fleet (4 cars) in less ten two years. Funny how that happened to work out. Should be good for years now unless I do something dumb. Only one lasted just a few yrs but it was a lower grade for the wifes car which was all I could grab in stock that particular day with her stuck and wanting to go go go.

Really would consider AGM but have heard polarizing stories with non original applications. Wish I knew.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Given the slight shift in the conversation regarding warranty/longevity, the Group 64 in the '87 is almost four years old. Assuming it comes back from the shop without showing any signs of trouble, I'll just keep an eye on it since it should get cool again down here. It's a SuperStart Premium, had a two year warranty and is rated at 620 CCA. In that particular group size, that's the only series they offer for it (Premium = 2yr Warranty).

I accidentally killed that battery back in 2019 or so when the original PCM/Fuel Pump relays were still fitted and one got stuck energized after I was done fiddling around under the hood. I wasn't driving it at the time, so when I went to move it and found nothing came on. Popped it on the charger for a few hours, and it came right back up with no trouble. So far I've been quite pleased with it.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast