Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

First.............Happy new year to one and all out there in FoMoCo world!

Second:...........what is the largest battery I can put in my '86 Tudor MGM?

Two months ago i put a new battery in and its defective, so my bud will replace no charge.

This time I would like to get something more heavy duty and long lasting!

I put a group size 65 in mine, 1000 CA 850CCA... I believe. I don't think much bigger than that will fit. You may need a new, larger battery hold down, but don't quote me on that
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Battery for 1986 MGM 5.0

I had a 65 in my 87 Mgm when I bought it and it sat crooked since the tray is too small. I wanted to get another 65 but ended up getting a 56 since it fit and it’s been fine for almost 2 years. Even when I leave it sitting for a week or two it still cranks strong, I’m pretty impressed.

I realize my reply doesn’t really answer your question but I wanted to throw out personal experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
        I had a 65 in my 87 Mgm when I bought it and it sat crooked since the tray is too small. I wanted to get another 65 but ended up getting a 56 since it fit and it’s been fine for almost 2 years. Even when I leave it sitting for a week or two it still cranks strong, I’m pretty impressed.

I realize my reply doesn’t really answer your question but I wanted to throw out personal experience.

Thank you, I no longer have a tray so that should not be a problem.
        I will look into both 65 and 56 size. Should I go with Interstate?

Comment

LOL............the hold down rotted out years ago, the battery is held down with one of those very heavy duty rubber straps with hooks on the ends;-)

Comment

Interstate is mediocre in my experience. my last bosch lasted me 10 years
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I had an interstate in mine when I bought it and it was old and I drained it a few times yet it kept charging back up no problem. Though that was my only experience with them.

I’d only go with either Walmart because of the price or motorcraft because of the warranty. That said, my 87 has a Walmart special and my 09 p71 and 17 gt both have Motorcraft.

Comment

A Group 64 is what I run in my ‘87 since that what it calls for. Fits properly in the tray.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

65 duralast gold in the vic. Trimming of batt tray (plastic shaving) was required. I also sourced a different yet factory panther metal hold down.

One gripe about the battery I purchase is the posts are reversed....positive is RIGHT next to the core support and fender. Ground is next to the radiator. No issues otherwise.
                  Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-31-2020, 04:25 PM.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Toploader : I sent you a lengthy pm as requested. My best suggestion for a good battery now is a Motorcraft from the Ford dealer. Not the cheaper one either. Buy the best at about $135. It seems like there is a quality difference from the dealer vs auto store Motorcrafts being sold. I used to be a Interstate dealer when I had a business before retiring from everything. Only the top tier Interstate batteries are worth buying. They are expensive due to possible high markups as dealers don't have fixed retail prices.

Comment

1986 takes a wierd battery. Forget what, but its smaller than a 65. Those do not fit into the tray properly unless you remove the hold-down hook. Mine has been running un-restrained for a very long time.

and yes cheap batteries are trash. The years of service per dollar works out much better if you just ante up and buy the good one.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

24R (if you have to use an aftermarket battery tray and hold-down kit)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

group 65 but going to have to mod the battery tray iirc.......86 took a wimpy group 58

interstate batteries rock!
                          i had the interstate group 65 from jay's colony park in my 89 f-250 that i drive no more than once a month. just replaced it a few weeks ago. i think it was close to 8 yrs old which is good for me. neverstarts barely last 2 lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I got 7 years out of my last Neverstart, but that was after a half dozen or so that lasted 2 years and were replaced free under warranty.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The last neverstart lasted 7 years in the 93 vic. Had a duralast go for 6 years in the 88 MGM. I've not had any other cars long enough to have a battery I purchased go bad.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X